Anyone using G&L MFD pickups for doom?

Anyone using G&L MFD pickups for doom?

Postby benjuro » Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:10 am

Downtuned my ASAT with MFD pickups recently and shocked by how good it sounded. Have yet to use it at full rock jams volume but plan to try it soon...

Anyone going this route?
Special low-frequency version.
benjuro

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Re: Anyone using G&L MFD pickups for doom?

Postby Jäke » Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:48 pm

Kind of funny that you post that because my first "Telecaster" was a '94 ASAT Special (which I sold maybe 15 years ago) and have been subconsciously chasing those amazing tones ever since.

I recently purchased a set of MFDs from the G&L site and tucked them underneath the stock covers of a Jazzmaster, which is tuned to drop-A. Of all the hacks/upgrades/etc. I've ever done on an instrument, probably the most rewarding so far.

So… it's with a straight face that I can say I firmly believe that I have the best sounding Jazzmaster on this here planet. They're way bigger, punchier, sparklier, ballsier, snappier, and QUIETER than any single coil I've ever played. They even dickstomp most humbuggys. Total secret weapons. Well, at least they were. D'oh!

PS: They're both neck pups, since the angled bridge one does not fit the same.

#doomlawyer
poop.
Jäke

committed
committed

Postby benjuro » Sat Jul 06, 2019 5:53 am

Jäke wrote:Kind of funny that you post that because my first "Telecaster" was a '94 ASAT Special (which I sold maybe 15 years ago) and have been subconsciously chasing those amazing tones ever since.

I recently purchased a set of MFDs from the G&L site and tucked them underneath the stock covers of a Jazzmaster, which is tuned to drop-A. Of all the hacks/upgrades/etc. I've ever done on an instrument, probably the most rewarding so far.

So… it's with a straight face that I can say I firmly believe that I have the best sounding Jazzmaster on this here planet. They're way bigger, punchier, sparklier, ballsier, snappier, and QUIETER than any single coil I've ever played. They even dickstomp most humbuggys. Total secret weapons. Well, at least they were. D'oh!

PS: They're both neck pups, since the angled bridge one does not fit the same.

#doomlawyer

This is awesome to hear, and kudos to you for making that swap--elegant and stealthy! That Jazzy is beautiful.
We tune to drop A as well, and some pickups just aren't into hanging out that low. I'd been after a G&L with the MFD's for a while, thinking only I want better clean tones...when I brought it to jams to show bandmates, the dirty toanz absolutely killed--even with 10's and tuned to standard...

Low and heavy, here we come.
benjuro

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Jäke » Sat Jul 06, 2019 1:25 pm

Not to derail the thread or anything (this place is quiet enough lately where I guess it doesn't matter), but let me know how setting up your ASAT goes with drop-A.

Some issues I ran into were having to dremmel down the back end of the low string saddle a bit and buy shorter machine screws to be able to get the saddles far back enough to be able to intonate correctly. No huge deal, but that little side screw can no longer catch them either.

Did you get a Tribute? I love that Irish stout finish they have now. Pop up some pics if you can.

poop.
Jäke

committed
committed

Postby benjuro » Sun Jul 07, 2019 6:09 am

I love that Irish brown finish as well, especially with the black pickguard and covers--would've been nice. I also dig swamp ash though and was thrilled to see this used one pop up locally, very cheap and with a G&L hsc.

IMG_1562 copy.JPG

IMG_1563 copy.JPG

IMG_1565 copy.JPG

What gauge string set are you using?

So, you had to shorten the threaded "stem" part of the saddle, correct? Sounds like a pain but I have a dremel and imagine done carefully enough you'd be hard pressed to notice. Any tips here would be appreciated as I wonder how easy it is to source a replacement. Bummer the saddle-lock screw doesn't function there. I'm ok with replacing those saddle length screws, those non-permanent mods don't bother me at all and a big part of the reason I bought the Tribute to mess with...to both try those MFD's and leave my US-made Invader alone!
benjuro

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Jäke » Sun Jul 07, 2019 12:53 pm

Niiiiiiice. Congrats on the score. I had a blueburst ASAT bass a long, long time ago (in a galaxy far, far away). If you ever decide to blackout your guard and pup covers, I can send you the extra black covers that I’ve got now.

Used the standard Ernie Ball baritone strings for years, but from some string tension calculator thing online, I found that the GHS baritone strings have almost equal tension across every string — results in a much more comfortable playing situation. Never looking back. https://www.juststrings.com/ghs-cu-bari.html

Yeah exactly, hadda shorten the saddle stem on the low A. Don’t recall, but pretty sure I had to change to shorter screws on most saddles to crank them back far enough. The pic of my bridge up there shows just how far back they are compared to where yours is now. No biggie really, though.
poop.
Jäke

committed
committed

Postby benjuro » Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:15 am

Super helpful, thanks J! I had used the EBs on my proper bari but have been buying equal tension sets for my guitars of late, they play nicer and I want to believe they're better for the neck.

If this thing works for the project, I think blackout will be the way to go, imagine it'll look sick on the blueburst. I may just hit you up for those covers...
benjuro

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby BoatRich » Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:04 am

I have a G&L Rampage and I’m either doing an ASAT or Fallout next. I really miss having a tele around so I’m leaning towards the ASAT for sure.
BoatRich

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby benjuro » Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:27 am

BoatRich wrote:I have a G&L Rampage and I’m either doing an ASAT or Fallout next. I really miss having a tele around so I’m leaning towards the ASAT for sure.

My brother has beautiful USA versions of both, so I had the opportunity to try them before buying. I LOVE the P90/splittable bridge humbucker arrangement. The MFD pickups are ultimately what sold me on the ASAT, but the Fallout might have been a bit more comfortable to play. I've gotten used to the tele shape. I thought the slab body would bother me, but it's quickly become my go-to guitar.
benjuro

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby benjuro » Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:27 pm

asat copy.JPG

Many thanks to Jäke for the blackening...
benjuro

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Jäke » Wed Jul 31, 2019 4:35 pm

Love it. Pearloid pickguards are for blues lawyers.
poop.
Jäke

committed
committed

Postby ibarakishi » Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:15 am

if anyone here so far can comment on how they feel these pickups compare to lace ones, i would love to listen to your knowledge
good deals/trades/business with: JonnyAngle, rdw102, crochambeau, worra, $harkToootth, Olin, fuzzonaut, friendship, ianmarks, digi2t
ibarakishi

experienced
experienced

Postby ibarakishi » Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:12 am

asking because i have an old beater trash peavey that i love and eventually want to throw new pickups in. wondering how these sound
good deals/trades/business with: JonnyAngle, rdw102, crochambeau, worra, $harkToootth, Olin, fuzzonaut, friendship, ianmarks, digi2t
ibarakishi

experienced
experienced

Postby Jäke » Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:19 pm

Wish I could help you out, but I have zero experience with Lace pickups.
poop.
Jäke

committed
committed

Return to ilovedoom.org