Ampeg V9

Ampeg V9

Postby rsfc » Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:36 pm

Anyone have experience with this amp? It's 300W, appears to be Ampegs 70's answer to the SVT but for guitar, bass or keyboards. One has come up locally with a newer cab for a decent price. 300w seems way overkill for my use but I had been keeping an eye out for a v4 or v2 and this popped up.

I feel like I'm posting way too much in this sub...
rsfc

interested
interested

Re: Ampeg V9

Postby cantremember » Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:39 pm

You should ask Joe from lone wolf audio about those amps, apparently he is a ampeg historian. Also idk if I miss read it or don't understand what you mean by the answer to the SVT, I thought ampeg made those... why would they need to react to an amp they make?
cantremember

Lagom Gigantic Lurker of BILF

Postby waltdogg » Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:32 pm

i tried picking one up once but i was practically a kid at the time. as for the amp itself think of the size of an svt but the width of a v-4 and the weight of two svts.
D.o.S. wrote:Why do people eat steak that shit is gross

behndy wrote:lol. she thinks Brazil is wayyyy too unsafe. but i got PLANS.

MechaGodzilla wrote:man, fuck those big neutrik plugs
waltdogg

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby rsfc » Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:54 pm

cantremember wrote:Also idk if I miss read it or don't understand what you mean by the answer to the SVT, I thought ampeg made those... why would they need to react to an amp they make?

I could have phrased it better. The SVT was made for bass. The V9, as I understand it was made for guitar and keyboard at 300W but also works for bass. I guess kinda what the V4 is to the V4b.
rsfc

interested
interested

Postby cantremember » Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:07 pm

rsfc wrote:
cantremember wrote:Also idk if I miss read it or don't understand what you mean by the answer to the SVT, I thought ampeg made those... why would they need to react to an amp they make?

I could have phrased it better. The SVT was made for bass. The V9, as I understand it was made for guitar and keyboard at 300W but also works for bass. I guess kinda what the V4 is to the V4b.

That makes sense, Thanks.
cantremember

Postby Olin » Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:37 am

Also consider asking Bear Hampton, he knows a lot of Ampeg stuff inside out and is a general font of knowledge when it comes to amps, he'll certainly have answers to any questions you could have.
neonblack wrote:Do you ever just sit back and take a good look at yourself and realize all your riffs are shit and you're a garbage musician?

https://barewireson.bandcamp.com/album/off-black
Olin

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby misterstomach » Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:20 pm

There's been one kicking around a local shop here for a while. I haven't played it, but boy do I want it. Just to have. I'll probably never see another one. Can't afford it though. It looks awesome and heavy as shit.
ryan summit wrote:Damn these fuckin bullshit techherpes
misterstomach

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby misterstomach » Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:22 pm

If you live in portland, call Brian sours. He's brilliant with tube amps in general but has a particular passion for old ampegs.
ryan summit wrote:Damn these fuckin bullshit techherpes
misterstomach

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby benjuro » Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:06 pm

V9 was basically an SVT power amp (6550's) with a new preamp section (2x12BH7, 4x12DW7, 12AX7, 6CG7) and reverb. It also had a distortion circuit like some V4's from the same era, and an internal fan to deal with the heat. As mentioned, it was their idea of an SVT for guitar.

I haven't used one but did use an SVT on guitar for a while. Monstrous overkill in the best possible way, massive headroom and bottom end for days.
Special low-frequency version.
benjuro

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby conky » Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:50 am

cantremember wrote:You should ask Joe from lone wolf audio about those amps, apparently he is a ampeg historian. Also idk if I miss read it or don't understand what you mean by the answer to the SVT, I thought ampeg made those... why would they need to react to an amp they make?

Can we please not drag this motherfucker into this forum? This is the one gear stop that i can chill in without having to filter through all of the Joe drama.
conky

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby jrfox92 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:01 pm

Yeah, the Joe vs. Bear shit is already all over my Facebook, we don't need that shit on ILD.
Since I always forget:

Inconuucl wrote:You can't kill Strymon, it'll just resurrect 3 days later.

BitchPudding wrote:Despite all my rage, I am still just eating tacos in a cage.

Inconuucl wrote:Welcome to ilf, we have three jokes and twelve posters. <3
jrfox92

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby waltdogg » Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:30 pm

vintage king from tb knows his ampegs. :p
D.o.S. wrote:Why do people eat steak that shit is gross

behndy wrote:lol. she thinks Brazil is wayyyy too unsafe. but i got PLANS.

MechaGodzilla wrote:man, fuck those big neutrik plugs
waltdogg

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby cantremember » Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:03 pm

conky wrote:
cantremember wrote:You should ask Joe from lone wolf audio about those amps, apparently he is a ampeg historian. Also idk if I miss read it or don't understand what you mean by the answer to the SVT, I thought ampeg made those... why would they need to react to an amp they make?

Can we please not drag this motherfucker into this forum? This is the one gear stop that i can chill in without having to filter through all of the Joe drama.

jrfox92 wrote:Yeah, the Joe vs. Bear shit is already all over my Facebook, we don't need that shit on ILD.

Sorry, I just saw these comments. I'm not on Facebook so I don't see any of that shit and I apologize for making a suggestion.
cantremember

Postby gnomethrone » Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:45 am

waltdogg wrote:i tried picking one up once but i was practically a kid at the time. as for the amp itself think of the size of an svt but the width of a v-4 and the weight of two svts.

My back hurts reading that
good dealings here:
NSFW: show
Ancient Astronaught, fuzzlord!, onyxrhino, lordgalvar, JoeTheStache, kbit, BoatRich, oscillateur, grindonomicon, doommeow, fever606, Bearstripes, Casavettes, Faldoe, jellyfishfuzz, morange, Teej212, MEC, ianmarks, JWAR, Raj007
gnomethrone

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby rsfc » Sat Oct 07, 2017 2:47 pm

I decided against it. I just don't need anything that loud.
rsfc

interested
interested

Next

Return to ilovedoom.org