What pedals do you run into your Sunn Beta's?

What pedals do you run into your Sunn Beta's?

Postby halkaloogie » Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:12 pm

I have been using a Beta Lead as my main amp for a few years now mainly because I really like the two effects loops and all the options for sound layering that gives me. The Beta doesn't do medium gain/overdrive very well by itself and I have gone through dozens of pedals because every few months I find myself unhappy with what ever I have and start looking for something else.

Just putting it out there to see what other people are doing with their Beta's.
halkaloogie

interested
interested

Re: What pedals do you run into your Sunn Beta's?

Postby halkaloogie » Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:29 pm

No one is out there to share their thoughts on pedals into a Beta? I guess I need to find another forum.

It seems the Doom room is dead
halkaloogie

interested
interested

Postby chamberpain » Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:32 pm

Sometimes it's as slow and empty as the name suggests....

Here's what I'm currently running. Not utilizing the effects loops on the Beta. Just straight into the front. This changes often depending on my needs. Guitar->Fuck > RM-1N > Black Forest > Disaster Transport jr > echo degrader > tuner > count to 5 > mudlark > gen loss > supermoon > rc-2

Sometimes I'll split at the tuner and run the first half through one channel and the other half through the other channel. I do this to allow better blending for noise/ambient backing loops.
Attachments
IMG_8250.JPG
IMG_8250.JPG (49.83 KiB) Viewed 5185 times
http://bastardsonsofajudasgoat.bandcamp.com

Successful transactions with Casavettes~Helter~Derelict78~ooop~DannDubbleEwe~WORMDIRT~space6oy~sergiomunoz74~duckworship~blakestree~doommeow
chamberpain

committed
committed

Postby benjuro » Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:16 pm

This is relevant to my interests, but sadly I have little useful to contribute :facepalm:

My Beta doesn't get nearly enough use, but I remember leaning towards heavy mids/bassier fuzz with it, like my Supercollider or Pharaoh, but I also use 10"s a lot for guitar. Not exactly medium gain, but wondering now if an EFE Black Dust wouldn't be mean as hell...
Special low-frequency version.
benjuro

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby John Matrix » Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:29 pm

I use an Iron Pig (Rat) and it sounds killer...but I have never tried to get any sound out of the Beta Lead that could be considered "medium gain."

I have found that the pedal + the Beta's gain can be kinda sizzly and hissy in the high end...so I usually just dial back the highs on the amp on the channel that I'm using the pedal with.

Another option that I liked was distortion into channel A set clean, and then channel B with the gain cranked...blend to taste. This sounds the best but logistically is sucks for live performance.
John Matrix

experienced
experienced

Postby benjuro » Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:48 am

John Matrix wrote:I use an Iron Pig (Rat) and it sounds killer...but I have never tried to get any sound out of the Beta Lead that could be considered "medium gain."

I have found that the pedal + the Beta's gain can be kinda sizzly and hissy in the high end...so I usually just dial back the highs on the amp on the channel that I'm using the pedal with.

Another option that I liked was distortion into channel A set clean, and then channel B with the gain cranked...blend to taste. This sounds the best but logistically is sucks for live performance.

The blend is what makes the amp for me. I have never really used it as a channel-switching amp...dial both A&B in together and then have pedals bring the heaviez in and out.
Special low-frequency version.
benjuro

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby halkaloogie » Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:54 pm

As of right now I'm running an electro harmonix lumberjack all knobs maxed out into the return of loop A (It does this crazy thing by fattening out the low strings but leaves the high ones alone) and a Harmonic percolator with the dirt turned almost all the way down (still fuzzy) into a Mr Squishy compressor into the front of channel B with the amp gain around 5 or so. This is my "cleanish" base sound and so far I'm liking it, but lately I have a habit of changing things regularly.
halkaloogie

interested
interested

Return to ilovedoom.org