Fuzz recommendations

Re: Fuzz recommendations

Postby maggot » Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:59 pm

jrfox92 wrote:
jagermonster wrote:The DAM Meathead Deluxe will do it all. Not cheap, but definitely worth it.

Or, you could DIY it.

I got an under-biased, underpowered Meathead Deluxe clone that was apparently made my a high school kid who didn't know what he was doing. It doesn't sound like it's supposed to (way more 60s than any Meathead Deluxe demo I've ever heard) but it sounds pretty awesome. Plenty of definition, explosive palm mutes, easy on the ears. You have to kind of gauge your sustain so it doesn't run out on you. Everything you wouldn't expect from a Meathead Deluxe, because it's not one, it's a failed attempt that ended up being something else.

Anyone ever used a companion/Jax/Sasori/Terminal kinda fuzz for loud & low stuff?
maggot

committed
committed

Postby Tristan » Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:15 pm

Terminal is awesome for riffing, heavy, a unique sound and it really rips.
good deals with: the_brow, phantasmagorovich, alexsga, DarkAxel, goroth, The Wood Wizard, Tendollarcat, vbps, monkeydancer, intothegroove, Brobee
Tristan

Supporter
Supporter

Postby maggot » Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:02 pm

Tristan wrote:Terminal is awesome for riffing, heavy, a unique sound and it really rips.

I think that information is going to end up costing me money. Now that I'm used to the Tone Reaper, it's pretty awesome. Dirty and heavy. It just sounds a little too normal distortionish sometimes.
maggot

committed
committed

Postby Tristan » Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:21 am

I see what you mean with the distortion thing.
That's one of the things I usually also try to avoid in a fuzz.
It's a fuzz so it should sound like one.

Maybe it's got something to do with the voicing of the fuzz before it hits the gain stages and with the transistors and how they interact, I'm not sure.

As for Tonebenders I'm more a MKI guy.
I don't know, Fuzz Faces, Muffs and Tonebenders are a bit weird, I tried lots of those but only some of them really work for that true fuzz sound in my opinion.

For a Fuzz Face I settled on a Maypole and for a Muff I settled on a Pharaoh, I'm pretty happy with those.
Didn't find a great Tonebender MKI yet.

As for a great riffing machine, maybe the Carcosa would be an option too, it seems cool.
good deals with: the_brow, phantasmagorovich, alexsga, DarkAxel, goroth, The Wood Wizard, Tendollarcat, vbps, monkeydancer, intothegroove, Brobee
Tristan

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Iommic Pope » Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:52 am

Best Fuzz Face is the Dunwich Fuzz Throne.
That thing just fucking destroys.
And it's nice and clear.
More Dunwich up in here.
:snax:
WWPD?
fcknoise wrote:You are all fucking tryhard effort posting nerds

Invisible Man wrote:I'm probably the most humble person I know. I feel good about smelling my own butthole.

Jesus Was a Robot wrote:Did you just assume Billy Corgan's dildo preference??
Iommic Pope

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby maggot » Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:17 am

I'm definitely grooving on the Meathead Deluxe Clone. I have no idea what the Meathead Deluxe is supposed to sound like, but what this one lacks in gain it makes up for in impact. I opened it up, and the kid who made it does not have a Phd in soldering, but it sounds good. It doesn't play so well with others (sounds best on its own), but gets tolerable mid-boosted solo sounds if I goose it with my Tone Reaper.

Next band practice, I'm gonna try to use it alone, because it's got a lot of crunch that is fuzz crunch, not distortion crunch. If it cuts through with a band, it's definitely a keeper.
maggot

committed
committed

Postby MechaGodzilla » Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:12 pm

Iommic Pope wrote:Best Fuzz Face is the Dunwich Fuzz Throne.
That thing just fucking destroys.
And it's nice and clear.
More Dunwich up in here.
:snax:

I wonder how it compares to the EFE Black Acid for doomy FF sounds
MechaGodzilla

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Iommic Pope » Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:01 am

I was super keen on th Black Acid at some point but after seeing Conan live and hearing the Fuzz Throne in all its glory, I was pretty happy to just run with Nicks take.
If you listen to Blood Eagle, that pedal is pretty much the sound of that album live.
Like, you have to try real hard to get it to sound shit.
WWPD?

Invisible Man wrote:I'm probably the most humble person I know. I feel good about smelling my own butthole.

Iommic Pope

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Tristan » Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:27 am

I don't like the DAM or EFE Fuzz Faces that much.
They sound more like a distortion.
For riffing they're good but then I like the EFE 6618 Muff or BAT Pharaoh better for that.
A Fuzz Face should sound more fuzzy than the typical Muff in my opinion.
Tristan

Supporter
Supporter

Postby MechaGodzilla » Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:08 am

I find the black acid is best and most dynamic with the fuzz maxed and the 'drive' (which I think is a pregain?) fairly low/halfway, and then it sounds more fuzzy. I actually really love it, and have messaged a couple people about building something similar but germanium based.
MechaGodzilla

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Iommic Pope » Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:09 am

MechaGodzilla wrote:I find the black acid is best and most dynamic with the fuzz maxed and the 'drive' (which I think is a pregain?) fairly low/halfway, and then it sounds more fuzzy. I actually really love it, and have messaged a couple people about building something similar but germanium based.

That could be rad.
Let us know if you do :snax:
Sidenote: I think Nick may have done a run of Germ Fuzz Thrones at some point. Hit him up?

Tristan wrote:I don't like the DAM or EFE Fuzz Faces that much.
They sound more like a distortion.
For riffing they're good but then I like the EFE 6618 Muff or BAT Pharaoh better for that.
A Fuzz Face should sound more fuzzy than the typical Muff in my opinion.

Fuzzstortion is cool, man.
WWPD?

Iommic Pope

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby maggot » Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:01 am

The right Fuzzstortion is very cool. The kind that fits like distortion in a mix but has that fuzzy goodness. I like Muffs, but most of them lack explosiveness. Never tried the Pharaoh or the EFE Muff, though.
maggot

committed
committed

Postby maggot » Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:01 am

Double Post
Last edited by maggot on Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
maggot

committed
committed

Postby sylnau » Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:51 pm

I tried a Pharaoh... it lack of personality for me.
"I can't understand why people are frightened of new ideas. I'm frightened of the old ones." --John Cage

http://www.youtube.com/sylnau
sylnau

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Tristan » Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:31 pm

Another thing (especially) with fuzz that we're not really discussing here is that it really can react very differently depending on the amp or guitar you're running.
Tristan

Supporter
Supporter

PreviousNext

Return to ilovedoom.org