· Gen · Guit · · Bldrs · B/S/T ·

Switch to full style
ilovedoom @ ilovefuzz
Post a reply

Building my first amp...

Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:19 am

So I've been working on pedals and guitar electronics for a few years now. About a year ago I got into doing some light repairs on amp, including basic troubleshooting and biasing etc....

Over the summer I picked up a Weber 6S100 kit when they ran a sale on them. I finally got all the ancillary parts together and started wiring it today.

It's not much, but I got the filaments all connected. I used 20gauge solid core PTFE coated wire. This will be the main type of wire I use, since I use it in my pedals.

Stay tuned for more as I complete steps and hopefully get it all done within a couple weeks. A friend is making me a headhsell, which hopefully will be done around the same time I finish the amp.

Re: Building my first amp...

Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:57 pm

Following.
Really curious about how it sounds since I haven't read a whole lot on it and it seems that opinions are fairly split on the quality of the kit.

Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:59 am

jrfox92 wrote:Following.
Really curious about how it sounds since I haven't read a whole lot on it and it seems that opinions are fairly split on the quality of the kit.

I don't think there's a lot of finished builds of these out there. At least it seems like that. I'll post some more pics today and lots of clips when it's done.

Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:07 am

This weeks progress;

Got most of the controls, inputs and preamp sockets Wired up.

Instead of running a main ground buss wire, I'm wiring them all separate to a star ground. It's something I didn't really plan on, but I figure for my first time it will make things easier. It's not the neatest but I'll neaten it up once I have more in place.

Also connected a couple things on the board and soldered what I could.

The inputs;

Controls and preamp sockets;

The board;

I had a few minutes and got the grounds done for the front end of the amp. This will be one of three star grounds. I think it looks neat enough. Solid core wire is not forgiving.

Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:11 am

:snax:
Perfect timing to pique my curiosity.

Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:26 am

Long wondered about this one. Keep us posted...
Post a reply