Rockerverb MkIII alternatives

Rockerverb MkIII alternatives

Postby facepoppies » Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:03 pm

I've got a lot of money coming my way, was looking to get a new half stack to play in my new doom band. Well, I dunno if it's doom or sludge or whatever the hell. Anyways, I've always wanted an Orange, and I was looking around and kind settled on a Rockerverb 100 Mkiii. But I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to amps, so I'm wondering what else is out there that I should be looking at. I know a billion people probably ask this question every second, but I can't find a lot of good info. I guess, like those billions of people, I'm looking for something like a Matt Pike sound. Not his exactly, but, you know, thick, heavy like druid stone magic,

I've been playing on a b52 at212 for a while now, and I honestly just don't like it much. It's weaker than I feel like it should be and the electronics are squirrely on it, but I got it from a friend for a hundred bucks a few years ago.

So, I guess what I'm asking is what are some doom heads I should be checking out? Price isn't too big of a deal, I guess, since the rockerverb is like 2 freaking grand.

BONUS QUESTION: What kind of cabs should I also be looking at? I know zero about cabs.
facepoppies

uncommitted
uncommitted

Re: Rockerverb MkIII alternatives

Postby 418a » Tue Dec 27, 2016 12:23 am

i have one.
its not fuzz friendly enough imho.
i even think i'll leave it foe plexi stile amp
418a

interested
interested

Postby waltdogg » Tue Dec 27, 2016 12:29 am

literally this ^

i went from a rockerverb mkii to a science hellhawk (modeled after a marshall plexi).
D.o.S. wrote:Why do people eat steak that shit is gross

behndy wrote:lol. she thinks Brazil is wayyyy too unsafe. but i got PLANS.

MechaGodzilla wrote:man, fuck those big neutrik plugs
waltdogg

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby jrfox92 » Tue Dec 27, 2016 12:38 am

OR/GT-120 clones (Matt recently got an OR-120 clone from Blackhawk Amps called the Odin 120), Laney stuff, I think he used HiWatts at some point. :idk:
The other common "doom" amps are Verellen, Science, Sunn, shit like that.
Since I always forget:

Inconuucl wrote:You can't kill Strymon, it'll just resurrect 3 days later.

BitchPudding wrote:Despite all my rage, I am still just eating tacos in a cage.

Inconuucl wrote:Welcome to ilf, we have three jokes and twelve posters. <3
jrfox92

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby HeavyXIII » Sat Dec 31, 2016 11:16 pm

Most things that operate relatively clean, have good headroom and bass should be fine, provided you're pushing it with some sort of pedal.

Sans pedal, your options change a little bit. I personally like my Laney AORs, as I feel like they work both ways well enough for me. So I'd suggest something in the hot rodded JCM800 camp. Laney, Sovtek MIG, Carvin X100B... there's a decent amount of options. They're usually not craaazy expensive secondhand either, which would give you room for a 412 or 2. The cab is more important than you might think.
Good Deal List: bearbeams, pena_55, sonidero, greyscales, ChetMagongalo, xchristophex, Monkey Boy, krautrocker, osbornkt

D.o.S. wrote:Like, I don't just listen to Whores when I'm sitting alone in my room with the lights off staring at a wall. Sometimes I listen to it with the lights on, too.

Carkoon, my Posty, Doomy, Dadcore band
FACEBOOK | https://www.facebook.com/carkoondoom/
BANDCAMP | https://carkoon.bandcamp.com/releases
HeavyXIII

experienced
experienced

Postby D.o.S. » Sun Jan 01, 2017 12:21 am

You should be able to find an actual OR-120 for under 2 grand.

Literally any amp can work for "doom." Don't get suckered in by marketing. You will get a lot farther with a "classic" distortion circuit and tubes (which you already have) than you think.

Exhibit A in which Matt Pike uses a Fender to get "that Matt Pike sound":
good deals are here.
escapecraft is here.
UglyCasanova wrote: It's not the expensive programs you use, it's the way you click and drag.

Achtane wrote:
comesect2.0 wrote:Michael Jackson king tut little Richard in your butt.

IT'S THE ENNNND OF THE WORRRLD AS WE KNOW IT
D.o.S.

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby jrfox92 » Sun Jan 01, 2017 12:32 am

That was twangy as fuck, D.o.S.
Might as well have been a video of Joe Bonamassa.
Since I always forget:

Inconuucl wrote:You can't kill Strymon, it'll just resurrect 3 days later.

BitchPudding wrote:Despite all my rage, I am still just eating tacos in a cage.

Inconuucl wrote:Welcome to ilf, we have three jokes and twelve posters. <3
jrfox92

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby D.o.S. » Sun Jan 01, 2017 12:33 am

I know that performance is older than you are but please show some respect :lol:

More be-shirted Pike for you:
good deals are here.
escapecraft is here.
UglyCasanova wrote: It's not the expensive programs you use, it's the way you click and drag.

Achtane wrote:
comesect2.0 wrote:Michael Jackson king tut little Richard in your butt.

IT'S THE ENNNND OF THE WORRRLD AS WE KNOW IT
D.o.S.

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby odontophobia » Sun Jan 01, 2017 8:51 am

I saw High on Fire play to not so many people while really drunk on Cinco de Mayo about 8 years ago. I ended up hanging out with a guy from work who turned into a lifelong solid dude.

Matt Pike brings out the best in people.

About three years ago we saw High on Fire headlining the first Dark Lord Day that we attended. It was light. We were drunk off of Zombie Dust and Founders All Day IPA. The barricade between stage and crowd was minimal.

Last song, Snakes... my buddy, drunkenly jumps on stage and just gives Matt Pike a huge hug mid song. He refers to High on Fire as his modern day Sabbath. They're a holy grail. He regrets nothing.

I can't imagine hugging a sweaty, chubby Matt Pike. Actually I can. It's glorious and gross at the same time.

The following year we went back and High On Fire headlined again. Pike wore a shirt and drank tea to try to stay warm. It was fucking frigid.

Can't embed since I'm on mobile but here's a link from 2014. We stood very near this camera guy and almost fought some asshole who was fucking with him. Nice dude from Ohio who films a ton of shows.

https://youtu.be/eaPB2TjLOpw
odontophobia

Supporter
Supporter

Postby HeavyXIII » Sun Jan 01, 2017 4:37 pm

Literally any amp can work for "doom." Don't get suckered in by marketing. You will get a lot farther with a "classic" distortion circuit and tubes (which you already have) than you think.

Yea, this is something I'm glad I figured out early. I've been using the same primary amp head for almost 6 years, and if it shit the bed, I know I could get by with just about anything that's vaguely similar. Sounding great loud is easy, sounding great quiet is a little more difficult. :P
Good Deal List: bearbeams, pena_55, sonidero, greyscales, ChetMagongalo, xchristophex, Monkey Boy, krautrocker, osbornkt

D.o.S. wrote:Like, I don't just listen to Whores when I'm sitting alone in my room with the lights off staring at a wall. Sometimes I listen to it with the lights on, too.

Carkoon, my Posty, Doomy, Dadcore band
FACEBOOK | https://www.facebook.com/carkoondoom/
BANDCAMP | https://carkoon.bandcamp.com/releases
HeavyXIII

experienced
experienced

Return to ilovedoom.org