Bass pickups

Re: Bass pickups

Postby gummo133 » Sun Jan 15, 2017 1:12 pm

I'm in the same position as the OP. Was about to pull the trigger on SD Quarter Pounders. What do you all think? Any reason not to?
gummo133

uncommitted
uncommitted

Postby Timm Grimm » Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:22 am

No reason not to. I'd research the qualities of the different variations. Like the spb-1 vs spb-3 or whatnot. My guess is that you wouldn't go wrong with any of them.

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=c ... 1+vs+spb-3
Timm Grimm

experienced
experienced

Postby gummo133 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:35 pm

Timm Grimm wrote:No reason not to. I'd research the qualities of the different variations. Like the spb-1 vs spb-3 or whatnot. My guess is that you wouldn't go wrong with any of them.

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=c ... 1+vs+spb-3

Thanks, that link was helpful.
gummo133

uncommitted
uncommitted

Postby Timm Grimm » Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:10 pm

gummo133 wrote:Thanks, that link was helpful.

:thumb:
Timm Grimm

experienced
experienced

Postby mmurphy1000 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 6:47 pm

yeah, I still haven't quite decided. I've been traveling more than usual for work and I've been slacking in the pickup investigation department. I'm leaning toward the SB-1 and since it is pretty cheap, I won't feel too bad if I have to change them again.
mmurphy1000

committed
committed

Postby bloatedsack » Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:54 pm

I was going to do this around when you made your OP, and I still haven't bothered. Someone gave me a gift card for Guitar Center, and I'm just waiting for a coupon to show up in my mailbox and I'll probably end up with Dimarzio Model Ps or Split-Ps.

Or, one of each.

I still think I should buy the Bill Lawrence, but now he's dead and I want white pickups coz I'm vain like that.
bloatedsack

committed
committed

Postby Chuckchuck » Fri Feb 03, 2017 4:07 am

Lawrence p46 are great. Can't go wrong with quarter pounders either. The pickups that come stock in the Matt freeman & Chris Aiken basses are similar to QP they're all very good pickups.
Quick economical shortcut that might be a solution is put extra alnico magnets underneath your pickups. Maybe my imagination but sounds healthier might get rid of thin butt sound. Also check if you have 250k pots, .047 drop cap underneath. Maybe lift the pickups a little
Chuckchuck

experienced
experienced

Postby mmurphy1000 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:18 pm

Cool, I have never heard of the magnet trick. I'm definitely replacing the pots - they go from zero to 100 in a quarter turn and I'd like to have more control than that.
My MIM jazz had the same pot problem. I don't know what the guy put in but the volume controls work much better now.

I ended up ordering quarter pounders this morning, hope to have them installed next week. I should do a before-and-after recording. This really is the worst sounding p bass I've ever heard lol.
mmurphy1000

committed
committed

Previous

Return to ilovedoom.org