Mesa Boogie .50+ Caliber head

Mesa Boogie .50+ Caliber head

Postby tashiattack » Tue May 24, 2016 1:28 pm

Someone is selling the plus (6l6 version) locally for $400 CAN (320-340$ US i think). How do they take pedals? I generally never care for an amps hi-gain ability - as in, I don't go past medium gain, since I push all my amps with pedals instead. I have a F100 that I absolutely love and it has really turned me onto Mesa's. Wondering if this thing can get a good grind. 50 watts might also be a good thing for me, as lately I've been playing a lot of proper venues and don't need as much stage volume.
tashiattack

experienced
experienced

Re: Mesa Boogie .50+ Caliber head

Postby odontophobia » Tue May 24, 2016 4:17 pm

tashiattack wrote:Someone is selling the plus (6l6 version) locally for $400 CAN (320-340$ US i think). How do they take pedals? I generally never care for an amps hi-gain ability - as in, I don't go past medium gain, since I push all my amps with pedals instead. I have a F100 that I absolutely love and it has really turned me onto Mesa's. Wondering if this thing can get a good grind. 50 watts might also be a good thing for me, as lately I've been playing a lot of proper venues and don't need as much stage volume.

The difference between the 60w mode of the F100 and the 50 Caliber may not be all that different? I mean -- this is ILD, amplifier worship is sort of the name of the game so if you have the cash then there's no reason not to buy it, right?
odontophobia

Supporter
Supporter

Postby tashiattack » Tue May 24, 2016 9:19 pm

odontophobia wrote:
tashiattack wrote:Someone is selling the plus (6l6 version) locally for $400 CAN (320-340$ US i think). How do they take pedals? I generally never care for an amps hi-gain ability - as in, I don't go past medium gain, since I push all my amps with pedals instead. I have a F100 that I absolutely love and it has really turned me onto Mesa's. Wondering if this thing can get a good grind. 50 watts might also be a good thing for me, as lately I've been playing a lot of proper venues and don't need as much stage volume.

The difference between the 60w mode of the F100 and the 50 Caliber may not be all that different? I mean -- this is ILD, amplifier worship is sort of the name of the game so if you have the cash then there's no reason not to buy it, right?

True, but man, 60 watts on the f100 is still incredibly fucking loud. I can barely hear the difference, even the headroom is almost close :lol:
tashiattack

experienced
experienced

Postby odontophobia » Tue May 24, 2016 10:24 pm

tashiattack wrote:
odontophobia wrote:

True, but man, 60 watts on the f100 is still incredibly fucking loud. I can barely hear the difference, even the headroom is almost close :lol:

I believe it, man. I have the F100 and replaced the v30s with Swamp Things and it fucking cooks. Thing is always full of volume.
odontophobia

Supporter
Supporter

Postby tashiattack » Tue May 24, 2016 10:52 pm

odontophobia wrote:
tashiattack wrote:
odontophobia wrote:

I believe it, man. I have the F100 and replaced the v30s with Swamp Things and it fucking cooks. Thing is always full of volume.

Jesus christ. Swamp Thangs are the loudest fucking speakers i've ever owned. I never actually plugged my Mesa F-100 head when I had em, but I can't even imagine...

Have you blown out your back yet? Seems like thats a heavy ass combo lol.

I just sold a couple of pedals and going to pick up that Caliber tomorrow. I figured if it aint working for me, I can sell it for a bit less than I bought it for :idk:. Im hoping it'll sound glorious in stereo with the F100.
tashiattack

experienced
experienced

Postby D.o.S. » Tue May 24, 2016 11:55 pm

I am so happy to see an F100 conversation that doesn't involve me on here you don't even know.
good deals are here.
escapecraft is here.
UglyCasanova wrote: It's not the expensive programs you use, it's the way you click and drag.

Achtane wrote:
comesect2.0 wrote:Michael Jackson king tut little Richard in your butt.

IT'S THE ENNNND OF THE WORRRLD AS WE KNOW IT
D.o.S.

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby odontophobia » Wed May 25, 2016 9:30 am

tashiattack wrote:
odontophobia wrote:
tashiattack wrote:
odontophobia wrote:

Jesus christ. Swamp Thangs are the loudest fucking speakers i've ever owned. I never actually plugged my Mesa F-100 head when I had em, but I can't even imagine...

I just sold a couple of pedals and going to pick up that Caliber tomorrow. I figured if it aint working for me, I can sell it for a bit less than I bought it for :idk:. Im hoping it'll sound glorious in stereo with the F100.

The F100 is my home rig. If I had the ability to not blow away my band mates I'd probably stereo rig with my Dual Rectifier. Thankfully I'm not hauling the beast upstairs as it is heavy as shit.

Also, have been waiting for D.o.S. to chime in as the F100 is that new hotness and can be had at 2006 Sovtej prices. Shit, I paid $550 for my combo then sold the v30s to a buddy for $100.
odontophobia

Supporter
Supporter

Postby tashiattack » Wed May 25, 2016 10:01 am

odontophobia wrote:
tashiattack wrote:
odontophobia wrote:
tashiattack wrote:
odontophobia wrote:

The F100 is my home rig. If I had the ability to not blow away my band mates I'd probably stereo rig with my Dual Rectifier. Thankfully I'm not hauling the beast upstairs as it is heavy as shit.

Also, have been waiting for D.o.S. to chime in as the F100 is that new hotness and can be had at 2006 Sovtej prices. Shit, I paid $550 for my combo then sold the v30s to a buddy for $100.

I bought the head version back in 2010 for about 600$ CAN used. My buddy worked at a local music shop, told me to bring my pedal board and guitar and plug it into the clean channel, and crank it with my dirt boxes. I was sold in about 30 secs...
tashiattack

experienced
experienced

Return to ilovedoom.org