Bajo Sexto anyone?

Bajo Sexto anyone?

Postby The_Unknown_Man » Mon May 16, 2016 3:01 pm

Anybody has a Bajo Sexto? I think one could do some wicked stuff with that :animal: Would like a owners thoughs on it :cool:

If you don't know what it is check this beast http://www.thomann.de/pt/oscar_schmidt_oh50s_bajo_sexto.htm
Last edited by The_Unknown_Man on Tue May 17, 2016 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The_Unknown_Man

interested
interested

Re: Bajo Sexto anyone?

Postby gnomethrone » Mon May 16, 2016 3:46 pm

Those are so bad ass. Anytime I see one on craigslist I get tempted.
good dealings here:
NSFW: show
Ancient Astronaught, fuzzlord!, onyxrhino, lordgalvar, JoeTheStache, kbit, BoatRich, oscillateur, grindonomicon, doommeow, fever606, Bearstripes, Casavettes, Faldoe, jellyfishfuzz, morange, Teej212, MEC, ianmarks, JWAR, Raj007
gnomethrone

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Cisco » Tue May 17, 2016 3:43 pm

My father in law has several. I've borrowed from him occasionally.
Cisco

committed
committed

Postby Chankgeez » Tue May 17, 2016 3:47 pm

MexiDoom?
psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
…...........................…
Sweet dealin's: here
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby The_Unknown_Man » Tue May 17, 2016 4:29 pm

Cisco wrote:My father in law has several. I've borrowed from him occasionally.

How are they? Dope stuff? :joy:
The_Unknown_Man

interested
interested

Postby Mudfuzz » Tue May 17, 2016 9:15 pm

I'm actually building one…

Here are some thoughts based on ones I've played and why I'm building my own

intonation: these are not generally very good… I mean these are basically a bass VI 12 string and if you have ever looked at a 8 string bass bridge..
Volume: acoustically they are not very good on the low strings, they are really made to get those clunky rhythm sounds you hear in texmex vs big and heavy so you need a pickup.
shitty builds: unless you are going to pay for a well made one you are talking about a shit ton of tension so it will be over built and sound crappy or blow apart..
Don't give up: things have lots of cool things going for them and you can also now by more electric ones [even solid bodies] or you can do what I am doing and attempt your own take on it.

Also tunings: they come in 12 and 10 string versions the difference is the 10 strings have to low Es removed.
Mudfuzz

HERO
HERO

Postby Chankgeez » Tue May 17, 2016 9:37 pm

Mudfuzz wrote:
Also tunings: they come in 12 and 10 string versions the difference is the 10 strings have to low Es removed.

I think that's fairly common among instruments with multiple courses. That lowest course sometimes tends to rattle, right?
psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
…...........................…
Sweet dealin's: here
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby Mudfuzz » Tue May 17, 2016 9:40 pm

Chankgeez wrote:That lowest course sometimes tends to rattle, right?

if it's set up right it shouldn't rattle. No, if you look at what they are actually used for and how they are played
it makes sense other than rattles and rumbles..
Mudfuzz

HERO
HERO

Postby The_Unknown_Man » Wed May 18, 2016 3:17 pm

Mudfuzz wrote:I'm actually building one…

Here are some thoughts based on ones I've played and why I'm building my own

intonation: these are not generally very good… I mean these are basically a bass VI 12 string and if you have ever looked at a 8 string bass bridge..
Volume: acoustically they are not very good on the low strings, they are really made to get those clunky rhythm sounds you hear in texmex vs big and heavy so you need a pickup.
shitty builds: unless you are going to pay for a well made one you are talking about a shit ton of tension so it will be over built and sound crappy or blow apart..
Don't give up: things have lots of cool things going for them and you can also now by more electric ones [even solid bodies] or you can do what I am doing and attempt your own take on it.

That's awesome :thumb: You have the best builds ever dude :!!!: I get all your point's and honestly I don't think I would buy one for the same reasons. Might build myself a semi-hollow or full hollow bodied electric at some point though :lol:
The_Unknown_Man

interested
interested

Postby Mudfuzz » Wed May 18, 2016 9:59 pm

I actually have another bajo sexto project that I never got around to finishing [the burned blue strat] because the screws that came with the tuners are two low grade metal one broke… and I got apathetic about it… but all I really need to do is get some better screws [and remove one] and some strings from kalium and bob's you aunt :!!!:
Mudfuzz

HERO
HERO

Postby Cisco » Thu May 19, 2016 3:51 pm

The_Unknown_Man wrote:

They're very stiff. Huge strings with lots of tension. Definitely takes some getting used to.
Cisco

committed
committed

Postby The_Unknown_Man » Sun May 22, 2016 7:43 am

Mudfuzz wrote:Thanks :!!!: :hug:

I actually have another bajo sexto project that I never got around to finishing [the burned blue strat] because the screws that came with the tuners are two low grade metal one broke… and I got apathetic about it… but all I really need to do is get some better screws [and remove one] and some strings from kalium and bob's you aunt :!!!:

Just do it dude :omg:
The_Unknown_Man

interested
interested

Postby The_Unknown_Man » Sun May 22, 2016 7:45 am

Cisco wrote:
The_Unknown_Man wrote:

They're very stiff. Huge strings with lots of tension. Definitely takes some getting used to.

A lot more than a Bass VI? I love me my VI's :)
The_Unknown_Man

interested
interested

Return to ilovedoom.org