Which Fuzz Best For Boosting?

Which Fuzz Best For Boosting?

Postby Saturn999 » Sun Sep 27, 2015 5:50 pm

I've got a tone that's just about "there", but needs a little boosting to get it where I want it. Am currently using a couple of different Ibby tube screamers for that purpose, but am not all that happy with the accompanying trade-off, namely that nasally sounding mid-hump. So was thinking perhaps a fuzz might be a better option. That said, I'm looking for something that has a moderate level of gain and a rather limited tone sweep. By that I mean I'm looking for something without either a super-flubby lowend or an equally undesirable icepick-in-the-ear high. Have tried an EH "Russian" fuzz before, but wasn't too impressed with the sweep of the tone knob. Can someone recommend me something, preferably under a $100?
Saturn999

interested
interested

Re: Which Fuzz Best For Boosting?

Postby odontophobia » Sun Sep 27, 2015 5:58 pm

BAT Pharaoh might do you right. Can probably be found for $100-ish if you buy used. In fact, most of the BAT Fuzzes will add the volume you desire. It's just about finding the tone you want to add into it.
odontophobia

Supporter
Supporter

Postby blakestree » Sun Sep 27, 2015 6:55 pm

Check out the Fix'd.
While leaves shall fall, do branches intertwine, that we remain bound.

Blake's Tree
blakestree

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby t-rey » Sun Sep 27, 2015 8:42 pm

Seems like you may want to pick up a Rat and give that a shot :idk:
t-rey

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby HeavyXIII » Sun Sep 27, 2015 9:28 pm

Ya, the BAT stuff is where it's at. Anything loud should work, and all the BAT stuff is loud.
Good Deal List: bearbeams, pena_55, sonidero, greyscales, ChetMagongalo, xchristophex, Monkey Boy, krautrocker, osbornkt

D.o.S. wrote:Like, I don't just listen to Whores when I'm sitting alone in my room with the lights off staring at a wall. Sometimes I listen to it with the lights on, too.

Carkoon, my Posty, Doomy, Dadcore band
FACEBOOK | https://www.facebook.com/carkoondoom/
BANDCAMP | https://carkoon.bandcamp.com/releases
HeavyXIII

experienced
experienced

Postby blakestree » Sun Sep 27, 2015 10:06 pm

Oh my god, poor Fuzzbo.
While leaves shall fall, do branches intertwine, that we remain bound.

Blake's Tree
blakestree

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Saturn999 » Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:17 am

Meh. Not too thrilled about BAT's prices, tbh.
Saturn999

interested
interested

Postby odontophobia » Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:49 am

Saturn999 wrote:Meh. Not too thrilled about BAT's prices, tbh.

Again, that's why I mentioned used. You can usually pick up a BAT Pharaoh for a great deal. Hell, you can get them on Guitar Center's used website for $100 here and there. I think you're going to struggle to find something good, well made, and versatile at that price point.
odontophobia

Supporter
Supporter

Postby braaandooon » Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:29 am

Boss FZ-2? Tons of volume, raunchy fuzz tonez, and if you need a slightly eq'able massive clean boost this one has that too. Can usually be found for $100-$120, and they usually bid out sub $100 on the bay.
Biggest Muff --> http://imgur.com/Tif0mdU

braaandooon

experienced
experienced

Postby frigid midget » Mon Sep 28, 2015 10:31 am

braaandooon wrote:Boss FZ-2? Tons of volume, raunchy fuzz tonez, and if you need a slightly eq'able massive clean boost this one has that too. Can usually be found for $100-$120, and they usually bid out sub $100 on the bay.

+1

Blows away nearly all the other fuzz pedals I have/had in terms of boosting/cutting through, including more than a few fancy boutique ones. Very few fuzzes out there can both saturate and sputter like there's no tomorrow, without dissapearing as soon as a loud drum, loud bass and second come into the mix.

Similar yet totally different in a way: Boss ODB-3.

Don't take my word for it, ask Electric Wizard and King Buzzo :p

They sound best when they're nasty and far from subtle imo, but the ODB-3 has a blend control as well as the obvious gain control. Works really nice stacked with other dirt.

I'd stay away from rats personally. They give you a nice distortion, but the low end loss ruins it for me :idk:
frigid midget

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Saturn999 » Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:39 am

odontophobia wrote:

Again, that's why I mentioned used. You can usually pick up a BAT Pharaoh for a great deal. Hell, you can get them on Guitar Center's used website for $100 here and there. I think you're going to struggle to find something good, well made, and versatile at that price point.

I've listened to a lot of BAT vids, they sound great for what they are, but, like treble boosters, are way too over-priced, imo. Am going to keep looking though.
Saturn999

interested
interested

Postby Saturn999 » Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:42 am

frigid midget wrote:
braaandooon wrote:Boss FZ-2? Tons of volume, raunchy fuzz tonez, and if you need a slightly eq'able massive clean boost this one has that too. Can usually be found for $100-$120, and they usually bid out sub $100 on the bay.

+1

Blows away nearly all the other fuzz pedals I have/had in terms of boosting/cutting through, including more than a few fancy boutique ones. Very few fuzzes out there can both saturate and sputter like there's no tomorrow, without dissapearing as soon as a loud drum, loud bass and second come into the mix.

Similar yet totally different in a way: Boss ODB-3.

Don't take my word for it, ask Electric Wizard and King Buzzo :p

They sound best when they're nasty and far from subtle imo, but the ODB-3 has a blend control as well as the obvious gain control. Works really nice stacked with other dirt.

I'd stay away from rats personally. They give you a nice distortion, but the low end loss ruins it for me :idk:

Have a Rat and all it wanted to do was fight the gain from my preamp! :)

Will definitely be checking out the Boss pedals. Thanks.
Saturn999

interested
interested

Postby doominchains » Mon Sep 28, 2015 1:27 pm

@Saturn999 - Have you tried a Boss OD-3? It's similar in the amount of gain to a TS with a flatter EQ. The aforementioned ODB-3 and FZ-2 are great pedals too.
doominchains

involved
involved

Postby Saturn999 » Mon Sep 28, 2015 2:51 pm

doominchains wrote:@Saturn999 - Have you tried a Boss OD-3? It's similar in the amount of gain to a TS with a flatter EQ. The aforementioned ODB-3 and FZ-2 are great pedals too.

Actually, the more I listen to that pedal being demo'd the more I think it's just what I'm looking for.
Saturn999

interested
interested

Postby D.o.S. » Mon Sep 28, 2015 2:54 pm

Saturn999 wrote:
odontophobia wrote:

I've listened to a lot of BAT vids, they sound great for what they are, but, like treble boosters, are way too over-priced, imo. Am going to keep looking though.

dafuc
good deals are here.
escapecraft is here.
UglyCasanova wrote: It's not the expensive programs you use, it's the way you click and drag.

Achtane wrote:
comesect2.0 wrote:Michael Jackson king tut little Richard in your butt.

IT'S THE ENNNND OF THE WORRRLD AS WE KNOW IT
D.o.S.

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Next

Return to ilovedoom.org