Heads on cabs or on the floor?

Re: Heads on cabs or on the floor?

Postby moose23 » Fri Aug 28, 2015 5:06 am

After reading the other thread I stuck my head back on the cab last night and it rattles as bad as ever so back to the floor where there's no rattle. There's nowhere to ad extra bracing in my Mesa 1x15 so I'll just suffer the ridicule of those who claim to know better. :poke:
moose23

experienced
experienced

Postby rustywire » Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:27 am

Suffer no fools. Your gear, your rules.
[B/S/T shoutouts] Shortlist: Hollow Earth|Ct5|856|Condor|Thermae|OP-1|half track reel2reel|Prophet6 ... :whoa:
rfurtkamp wrote:The only transparent thing I own is a set of drinking glasses.
rustywire

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby legbear » Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:29 am

Fender Bandmaster 2x15 cabs shake around like Micheal J Fox. :(
legbear

committed
committed

Postby misterstomach » Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:36 pm

It's your gear and your experience with it, so there is no one who knows better. Fuck 'em if they think they do and fuck the ridicule.
ryan summit wrote:Damn these fuckin bullshit techherpes
misterstomach

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Uncle Grandfather » Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:51 pm

I started that other thread and was surprised that not too many people seemed to be concerned with isolating their heads. Whatever works for ya I guess, but I can easily discern a difference when recording and always go to lengths to isolate my tube heads for best results. I got that approach from experience with my hi-fi tubed gear which also benefits from isolation from external vibration.
Uncle Grandfather

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby potatofarmer » Fri Sep 04, 2015 1:05 pm

moose23 wrote:After reading the other thread I stuck my head back on the cab last night and it rattles as bad as ever so back to the floor where there's no rattle. There's nowhere to ad extra bracing in my Mesa 1x15 so I'll just suffer the ridicule of those who claim to know better. :poke:

That other thread is ridiculous. And it's not on you - a cab that shakes a head off is a shitty design. A couple 1/2" dowels inside bracing left to right, front to back, and top to bottom can make a huge difference. It'll be a little louder but tighter. But that's more of an issue for the talkbass crowd who want 5 pound cabs pushed by 2 pound class D heads. One of those things falls two inches and it's irreparable scrap. :lol:

I've got an old Nemesis 212 bass cab that's made out of 1/2" "celluloid composite" aka sawdust and even at 250W it's happy to shake an 80 pound Peavey 115 and a 40 pound Trace Elliot head like that magnetic football game. With a 500W amp I could probably ride it to work.
potatofarmer

interested
interested

Postby moose23 » Sat Sep 05, 2015 12:16 pm

It's really more the heads than the cabs I use. Never came close to falling off or even moving just rattles more than I think is healthy and doesn't rattle anywhere near as much when on the floor. I'm sure head sleeve could be designed better but bracing the head sleeve would be as hilarious as micing it. :D
moose23

experienced
experienced

Postby samzadgan » Tue Sep 22, 2015 3:11 am

always on the floor...i've never experienced mine vibrating off, even the few times i have had them on the cab. But I've seen other guitarists amps fall off their cabs...and that scared me enough to not leave mine on the cab
AxAxSxS wrote:...if its a loud tube amp.... :doom:

Iommic Pope wrote:Amps first, makeup sex later.
samzadgan

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby waltdogg » Tue Sep 22, 2015 6:51 pm

Get heavier amp heads.
D.o.S. wrote:Why do people eat steak that shit is gross

behndy wrote:lol. she thinks Brazil is wayyyy too unsafe. but i got PLANS.

MechaGodzilla wrote:man, fuck those big neutrik plugs
waltdogg

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby crohny » Mon Sep 28, 2015 4:30 pm

i prefer the floor so i don't have to worry about killing the life of the tubes. amps look rad on top of the cabs but if i have the space on the stage ill put the heads on the floor.
crohny

committed
committed

Postby ShaolinLambKiller » Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:43 pm

I have never known any stage that had enough space to place the heads on the floor. even the bigger ones cause I'm very active when I'm playing. I will end up tripping over it/ stomping the knobs off
I like to keep myself busy:
My loud heavy boxes:
www.facebook.com/MaulerCustomCabs

a ton of my music
http://speedritualrecords.storenvy.com/

and a ton of my ugly art
http://www.cavepaints.com/
ShaolinLambKiller

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby ShaunNecro » Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:31 pm

Definitely moving the heads to the floor. Moving shit off of cabs and other surfaces several feet away with just the SVT. I would like to get some sort of multi level head stand built, so I wouldn't have to worry about anything falling over...
Wills Dissolve
http://facebook.com/willsdissolveband
https://willsdissolve.bandcamp.com
http://shaunnecro.tumblr.com/
NSFW: show
Iommic Pope wrote:Remember, she was dead when you got there......but you couldn't have been there-you were on a jumping castle at that point in time.

We just call it the "doom" room in the hope we might lure hipster girls there...into our rape vans....I mean vans of righteous wizarding.
ShaunNecro

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby emptyparadigm » Tue Sep 29, 2015 5:09 pm

On my cab, but I also have my V4 in a live-in foam-filled road case.
KHEMMIS. Doomed heavy metal. DECEIVER out 11/19/21 on Nuclear Blast.

GLACIAL TOMB. Misanthropic death/black/sludge. S/t debut out now on Gilead Media.

Good deals with: Ancient Astronaught, conky, crohny, D-Day, Corey Y, ryan summit, tons more here and on HCFX under this username
emptyparadigm

experienced
experienced

Postby samzadgan » Tue Sep 29, 2015 7:50 pm

emptyparadigm wrote:On my cab, but I also have my V4 in a live-in foam-filled road case.

that right there is the perfect solution!

the other problem about have the amp head on the floor on a stage is...beer...or othe liquid you choose to drink during your set...
AxAxSxS wrote:...if its a loud tube amp.... :doom:

Iommic Pope wrote:Amps first, makeup sex later.
samzadgan

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby odontophobia » Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:10 pm

So I've been fighting with my 2x12 for the past few weeks. Thought I had blown a speaker. Spent a bunch of time fucking around with it tonight. Swapped a speaker and things were working great. Then I flipped on my other head and suddenly the buzz came back. If I flipped to standby the issue went away. It was closest to the speaker magnet. I'm gonna try to spend some time fucking with it again tomorrow. But definitely gonna be trying the "heads on floor" to see what happens. Not even sure. But it had been driving me nuts. If it's really just my other goddamn amp being weird then I guess I may have a 16 ohm Swamp Thang for sale, haha.
odontophobia

Supporter
Supporter

PreviousNext

Return to ilovedoom.org