· Gen · Guit · · Bldrs · B/S/T ·

Switch to full style
ilovedoom @ ilovefuzz
Post a reply

Tuning a Baritone UP?

Mon Aug 17, 2015 4:08 pm

Hi hi.

Just starting to look at Baritone guitars a little, as I'm finding some of my songs need to be tuned down a full step or so for me to sing them really well.

I wouldn't need to go much lower than C to C at most, and really I'd only be looking for about D to D.

So would I be better off getting something like a Blacktop Baritone and tuning it up from B to B? Or should I just go with a basic 25.5" Fender and tune it down?

For the record, I think that Squier Baritone Jazzmaster looks sweet, even in Antigua.

Thanks!

Re: Tuning a Baritone UP?

Mon Aug 17, 2015 4:21 pm

Don't get the jazzmaster if you're tuning up. It's got a 30" scale that will make it difficult. Blacktop is probably your best bet, or just a longer scale standard guitar like a regular jazzmaster maybe

Mon Aug 17, 2015 4:28 pm

Pop wrote:... and really I'd only be looking for about D to D.

I've been tuning in DADGAD almost exclusively. You'll be fine with a regular guitar and heavier strings.

Mon Aug 17, 2015 5:31 pm

Yeah I was about to suggest just using a normal guitar.

Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:33 pm

3rding the just use a normal guitar with thicker strings.

Hell I still use thick strings/normal guitar when I tune down to G standard.

Tue Aug 18, 2015 2:35 am

if you want to tune C to C you could def just use a normal guitar, thicker strings will work for that.

Tue Aug 18, 2015 4:18 am

Get a bass and super thin bass strings and tune waaaaaay up.

Tue Aug 18, 2015 6:40 pm

I have a Mustang bass that I use, well, for bass, and I guess yeah, 30" would be a bit too long for tuning a guitar up, huh?

So that's good news that I can just stick to a basic Fender or maybe even a Gibson if I wanted. I love Jazzmasters but don't own one... could possibly try one of those out with thicker strings. I normally use 11s anyway, but maybe I could go a bit thicker.

Thanks!

Tue Aug 18, 2015 6:49 pm

Yeah, I think 12s or 13s are good for tuning to D or C.

Wed Aug 26, 2015 6:52 pm

On the same guitar I'd go up a gauge for every whole tone you tune down by, so if you're using 10's for E, use 11's for D and 12's for C.

That being said I like the slop that comes from sticking with the same gauge and tuning down, so I actually use 11's for E and 11's for C

Mon Aug 31, 2015 7:29 pm

Standard Fender scale in dropped C with 13-56 here. Wound G.

Sun Sep 06, 2015 2:17 am

on the other hand a "baritone" guitar tuned up to standard or even higher might be a interesting sounding thing, that longer string length might add a lot of jangle and springyness

Thu Oct 01, 2015 11:41 pm

.012-.056 on 24.75" scale tuned to D standard is my jam.
All day err day.

13 - 60 down to C flat on fender scale was fun though

Wed Oct 14, 2015 12:27 pm

I have 13-65 on my guitar and the intonation is super tight on my guitar. It kind of bothers me because this is the first time I've used such a gauge.

But yeah, normal guitar.
Post a reply