Dreams of Wattage, GAS Hauntings

Postby NoLA-Riffft » Fri Aug 07, 2015 3:36 pm

Last edited by NoLA-Riffft on Sun Dec 08, 2019 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NoLA-Riffft

committed
committed

Re: Dreams of Wattage, GAS Hauntings

Postby herrlogi » Fri Aug 07, 2015 4:58 pm

HeavyXIII wrote:I want to upgrade to a modulation that I actually like. I need to figure out how to stop over compressing my Ditto Looper. I'd also like to figure out the balancing act between my OCD and treble booster. Once I have solved all of these problems, I'll probably need a smaller pedalboard.

I hate GAS. It's no longer fun or exciting; it's a chore

What kind of modulation are you looking for? i've had timeline and bluesky but Sold both and now I am more happy with a Digitech Polara "reverb" and Obscura "delay" Somehow downsizing meant upsizing for me it just feels more at your fingertips.

At the moment pedal wise I want a couple more pedals:
AMT WH-1 japanese girl kick ass wah which stays in position that you want and 3 different mode's + small size
Alexander Pedals F.13 Flanger goddamn that flanger floats my boat hearing a demo of it from ProGuitarShopDemos on youtube gah WANT!
Fanthom arcade octave fuzz "fuzzhugger"
Chase Bliss Audio - Warped Vinyl
Bit commander

Ravish sitar "EHX" Now this one I just really wonder how it would sound through a doom setup !
herrlogi

interested
interested

Postby HeavyXIII » Fri Aug 07, 2015 5:47 pm

herrlogi wrote:
HeavyXIII wrote:I want to upgrade to a modulation that I actually like. I need to figure out how to stop over compressing my Ditto Looper. I'd also like to figure out the balancing act between my OCD and treble booster. Once I have solved all of these problems, I'll probably need a smaller pedalboard.

What kind of modulation are you looking for? i've had timeline and bluesky but Sold both and now I am more happy with a Digitech Polara "reverb" and Obscura "delay" Somehow downsizing meant upsizing for me it just feels more at your fingertips.

Something to add some movement to my sound without being reverb or delay, which I'm set on. I thought I was settled with my phaser, but I pretty much can't use it unless I'm playing clean or it cuts a huge chunk out of my low end. Most other mod pedal types don't have the same available speed. I'm using a PM7 and the ring mod option is really nifty, but it fucks my low end to hell and back. I've got a tremulus lune that is nifty, but it's one of those things I wish had tap tempo. Oh well. Maybe I'll decide I don't care anymore with time.

The looper situation still really bugs me though, as I LOVE looping.
Good Deal List: bearbeams, pena_55, sonidero, greyscales, ChetMagongalo, xchristophex, Monkey Boy, krautrocker, osbornkt

D.o.S. wrote:Like, I don't just listen to Whores when I'm sitting alone in my room with the lights off staring at a wall. Sometimes I listen to it with the lights on, too.

Carkoon, my Posty, Doomy, Dadcore band
FACEBOOK | https://www.facebook.com/carkoondoom/
BANDCAMP | https://carkoon.bandcamp.com/releases
HeavyXIII

experienced
experienced

Postby grindonomicon » Fri Aug 07, 2015 11:46 pm

NoLA-Riffft wrote:I'm much more content with my entire rig than I have been in a few years. SNIP-
but I wouldn't mind one day having a 100watt plexi style something with some higher wattage speakers.

This is why I both want to upgrade my Laney to a 100 watt and why I think about getting a Mesa Bass Buster 200 for my upgraded bass amp. Bigger Bassman/Plexi. Love that sound. That vs. the tube pre / ss power @1000 watt bass amps I love.
grindonomicon

experienced
experienced

Postby The Mad Titan » Sat Aug 08, 2015 11:54 am

HeavyXIII wrote:
herrlogi wrote:

Something to add some movement to my sound without being reverb or delay, which I'm set on. I thought I was settled with my phaser, but I pretty much can't use it unless I'm playing clean or it cuts a huge chunk out of my low end. Most other mod pedal types don't have the same available speed. I'm using a PM7 and the ring mod option is really nifty, but it fucks my low end to hell and back. I've got a tremulus lune that is nifty, but it's one of those things I wish had tap tempo. Oh well. Maybe I'll decide I don't care anymore with time.

The looper situation still really bugs me though, as I LOVE looping.

Yeah, as that filter sweeps through you're going to lose bass through part of the sweep, but the peak of the sweep should sound wooly and beefy. One of the reasons I picked my 3ms Phaseur Fleur was that amp about to explode bassy sound it makes at the peak, it's fuller and meatier than most other phasers I tried. It'd match your Lune.

Wanting more bass brings me to my other thought.

Get a good Uni-Vibe clone with a deep bass throb to it like MJM 60's Vibe, Roger Mayer Voodoo (best if money is no object), Drybell Vibe Machine, or Sobbat Glow Vibe (good luck finding one for sale). The Mayer is HUGELY flexible, it's Trem will put most boutique stand alone opto Trems to shame, and the Vibe is I think the best I've heard ever. If you want the one that dead on sounds like Machine Gun @ WS tone, then this pedal will deliver.

If you have a stereo rig, then maybe the Pigtronix Rototron, or one of the digital Leslie pedals out there. I have a Gig-FX Chopper that I love the fuck out of too, great stereo Trem/Panner with treadle, but if I was getting a stereo Trem today I'd probably pick a Stereo Tremulous Lune from 4ms with optional CV controller. It sounds so delicious. Totally jelly of your trem.
The Mad Titan

committed
committed

Postby HeavyXIII » Sun Aug 09, 2015 2:34 pm

Money is definitely an object; I don't want or need anything super boutique or complicated. Every opto trem I've ever heard sounds sexy as hell, but the range of speeds always kills them for me. Is that a limit of the opto circuit, or do they just not want that much available speed in their pedals?

EDIT: I'm an idiot; the lune is an optical trem..

Is there a way to add panning to the Tremulus? That could be a sound I could get into, ridiculous speed or not. I'd just have to have my amps always unstacked.
Last edited by HeavyXIII on Mon Aug 10, 2015 1:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Good Deal List: bearbeams, pena_55, sonidero, greyscales, ChetMagongalo, xchristophex, Monkey Boy, krautrocker, osbornkt

D.o.S. wrote:Like, I don't just listen to Whores when I'm sitting alone in my room with the lights off staring at a wall. Sometimes I listen to it with the lights on, too.

Carkoon, my Posty, Doomy, Dadcore band
FACEBOOK | https://www.facebook.com/carkoondoom/
BANDCAMP | https://carkoon.bandcamp.com/releases
HeavyXIII

experienced
experienced

Postby NoLA-Riffft » Sun Aug 09, 2015 2:51 pm

Last edited by NoLA-Riffft on Sun Dec 08, 2019 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NoLA-Riffft

committed
committed

Postby ShaolinLambKiller » Mon Aug 10, 2015 11:34 pm

I want more Ampegs. I have no idea why. I keep looking and finding and thinking of just keeping the instead of helping the duders I know who want some... though I did try 2 weeks ago when a slew of great deals were around and none of them took advantage of them.
I like to keep myself busy:
My loud heavy boxes:
www.facebook.com/MaulerCustomCabs

a ton of my music
http://speedritualrecords.storenvy.com/

and a ton of my ugly art
http://www.cavepaints.com/
ShaolinLambKiller

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby mc_muench » Tue Aug 11, 2015 12:33 am

Buy all the Vulcans!!!
Rev. DOOM, The Dude of DOOM, DOOMER, El DOOMerino, if you're not into the whole brevity thing...

PVYHenge ~|~ Bear amps ○)))

http://vegawi.bandcamp.com
http://galactichatchet.bandcamp.com
mc_muench

committed
committed

Postby ShaolinLambKiller » Tue Aug 11, 2015 5:53 pm

I am looking for them Vulcans. I got half assed fooled again looking through craigslist and that dipshit with the pic of a Vulcan asking to buy one if anyone had one.
I like to keep myself busy:
My loud heavy boxes:
www.facebook.com/MaulerCustomCabs

a ton of my music
http://speedritualrecords.storenvy.com/

and a ton of my ugly art
http://www.cavepaints.com/
ShaolinLambKiller

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby samzadgan » Tue Aug 11, 2015 7:32 pm

I really dont have any GAS at the moment on the amp side of things...I have my vintage marshall and the matamp...the only thing I was hankering for was a practical combo for home use, and I ended up getting a fender blues deluxe, so thats served my fender/blues-lawyer/low volume gas.

After having multiple dual and triple channel amps, the single channel amps are the ones that are keepers for me, because i prefer to use pedals and i can change them quite easily and at little cost...and also i have not come across a 2 channel amp that has the perfect clean and distortion tone...you always have to comprimise on one of the channels.

I know you think you have to go overseas...but Tym is close by to you and they have Matamp stuff in the shop...i know its priced really high, but getting from overseas may be just as expensive when you consider shipping, and also potential damage.

I would wholeheartedly recommend a Matamp btw, to be honest, since i've had the matamp, i have rarely used my Marshall. Which is a shame, but the matamp just sounds soooo good!
AxAxSxS wrote:...if its a loud tube amp.... :doom:

Iommic Pope wrote:Amps first, makeup sex later.
samzadgan

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Cisco » Tue Aug 11, 2015 7:49 pm

Quad kt88 is something I want to do again.
Cisco

committed
committed

Postby The Mad Titan » Wed Aug 12, 2015 6:42 pm

Cisco wrote:Quad kt88 is something I want to do again.

Yeah, big bottles are big sounding. I run 4x6550 on one side, 4xEL34 on the other. I sometimes think about switching it up to 6L6 and EL34 to bring the loudness more in balance, but those 6550's just have unreal bass response. I know I'll miss it when it's gone.
The Mad Titan

committed
committed

Postby archlilim » Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:41 pm

Most of my gear needs are limited by how things will sound in a band context (and general lack of moneys), which restrains me in a good way. I'm pretty dead on in achieving the tone I've been chasing since starting this band with my current guitar, fuzz, and stereo amp setup. It's all dialed pretty perfectly. And it's all been pretty cheap. That said I still have GAS for a Science Hellhawk to replace my Yba-3, though I just can't justify the pricetag. More realistically, thinking about a custom 4x12 to better showcase the tube amp side of my stereo rig. That or there's a Ampeg VT22 on my clist that would be kinda rad.
archlilim

experienced
experienced

Postby NoLA-Riffft » Fri Aug 14, 2015 1:26 pm

Last edited by NoLA-Riffft on Sun Dec 08, 2019 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NoLA-Riffft

committed
committed

PreviousNext

Return to ilovedoom.org