Dreams of Wattage, GAS Hauntings

Dreams of Wattage, GAS Hauntings

Postby Iommic Pope » Thu Aug 06, 2015 6:11 pm

So, I've got sometihng in the works that is part of my long term rig goals, and that makes me pleased with the state of the universe, indeed.
However, I'm pretty ADD with gear and, as we all know with GAS, once you get another piece of the puzzle in place you just want to replace it with a bigger, louder, more brutal one.
So I thought I'd start this thread in order for people to post their aspirations gear wise and for others to maybe recommend alternatives, better options, more practical options, differrent brands, sleepers, and discuss what will/won't work as part of those systems if you've had experience with any of it.
I know for the most part we're all usually, "fuck it man, get shit, plug it in, moar is moar!" but this might help some of us more restless souls come to grips with things.

I'll kick off.
So eventually I'm going to upgrade my guitar side to something in the 100w world, but I'm not sure if I want to go for something based on a nice warm Matamp style clean (my AOR excels at this and I like it) or something nice and bright and Fender-like. I'm happy piling on the dirt from pedals so a dirt channel/amp dirt is not a huge deal.
I was torn between one of the Science options in those fields, but now I'm thinking, "just save for a...." which I'm thinking might be the go.
So, do I look at Matamps, Oranges (local option realisitcally to save $$), jump back in the Dunwich queue, get a Hex Model t?
Whatever i do I am most likely going to import becase I really don't want to pay too much for a used and abused JCM800.
What do you underlords think?

Who has a similar predicament?
WWPD?
fcknoise wrote:You are all fucking tryhard effort posting nerds

Invisible Man wrote:I'm probably the most humble person I know. I feel good about smelling my own butthole.

Jesus Was a Robot wrote:Did you just assume Billy Corgan's dildo preference??
Iommic Pope

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Re: Dreams of Wattage, GAS Hauntings

Postby herrlogi » Thu Aug 06, 2015 7:10 pm

Im trying to satisfy my GAS in a "reasonable" way by combining expensive amp for bass and guitar.
So far im thinking about a 200watt verellen meatsmoke with effect loop.
To make that totally perfect but i haven't talked to Ben yet about the realistic side of it but: a stereo meatsmoke 150watt each side with effect loop and perhaps a half power mode
I think that would be plenty of power and not too much and as i want to get a head thats immediately good for Psych and doom the stereo way sounds like a winner
herrlogi

interested
interested

Postby Iommic Pope » Thu Aug 06, 2015 7:14 pm

Aside from actually making that physically possible (which I hope you can) thatr sounds rad as fuck.
:doom:
WWPD?

Invisible Man wrote:I'm probably the most humble person I know. I feel good about smelling my own butthole.

Iommic Pope

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby ShaolinLambKiller » Thu Aug 06, 2015 7:44 pm

herrlogi wrote:Im trying to satisfy my GAS in a "reasonable" way by combining expensive amp for bass and guitar.
So far im thinking about a 200watt verellen meatsmoke with effect loop.
To make that totally perfect but i haven't talked to Ben yet about the realistic side of it but: a stereo meatsmoke 150watt each side with effect loop and perhaps a half power mode
I think that would be plenty of power and not too much and as i want to get a head thats immediately good for Psych and doom the stereo way sounds like a winner

Doesn't he already do something like that? it's called a symbotic twin or something. it's basically 2 100w heads in one case.
I like to keep myself busy:
My loud heavy boxes:
www.facebook.com/MaulerCustomCabs

a ton of my music
http://speedritualrecords.storenvy.com/

and a ton of my ugly art
http://www.cavepaints.com/
ShaolinLambKiller

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby herrlogi » Thu Aug 06, 2015 7:49 pm

Yeah there are several amps going that direction that i've read about "otherwise i wouldn't dream of it even being possible"
2x 100Watt should be enough though somehow GASish i feel like 2x 150 Watt
herrlogi

interested
interested

Postby Iommic Pope » Thu Aug 06, 2015 8:24 pm

Go with your GAS.
WWPD?

Iommic Pope

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby fever606 » Thu Aug 06, 2015 9:54 pm

All of my gear dreams aren't based in reality. Well... they're financially feasible and all attainable, but they aren't realistic because the likelihood of me playing for more than my dog, cat and girlfriend - and occasionally with friends - is near enough to nil that it makes no difference. That said...

I'd like a vintage OR-120 to go alongside my OR-80 Overdrive. I'd like to have the OR-80 upgraded with a couple more tube sockets to push it up to 100 watts. I'd like to replace the Hiwatt Custom 50 that I (stupidly) sold a fistful of years ago, and the Blackface Bassman that I played all through college (and sold to buy the Hiwatt).

And of course the cabs... couple 4x12s (Hiwatt SE4123? Vintage Orange with Celestions?), one of those tall Marshall 8x10s, a fridge and a 2x15 loaded up with Big Bens should just about cover the bases, eh?
fever606

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby herrlogi » Thu Aug 06, 2015 9:57 pm

Sounds like a good plan there Fever606 :)
herrlogi

interested
interested

Postby fever606 » Thu Aug 06, 2015 10:28 pm

Yanno, I'm actually a little jealous of you and Pope... you both have a clear vision of your "sound" and a clear path to get there...
fever606

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Iommic Pope » Thu Aug 06, 2015 11:00 pm

Fever those sound yummy.
Esp the hiwatt cabness. Fuck I want one of those.
Well like I said, I'm ADD with gear, so there's no clear vision.
At this stage all I know is I want to spilt my low end down to a bass stack with 15s (which I'm currently working on) and get my mids and treb happening with some form of tube thunder, into maybe a 612.
There's a whole bunch of "what if" between there and where I am now though.
The path is never clear, and is fraught with overwhelming options along the way.
Which is why I started this thread.

I feel you on playing out though. I'm working on that at the same time as rig building, so I'm sort of ready to jump into playing out and not have to worry about half assed gear, like I used to when I was doing it years ago.
Gigging already has so many headaches attached to it, I don't want my gear to be an additional one.
I really miss playing shows though, so it'd be nice to go back to that with some confidence.
WWPD?

Iommic Pope

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby grindonomicon » Thu Aug 06, 2015 11:59 pm

Pope: I vote Dunwich queue! Like you will ever say "man, I'm so sorry I got the Dunwich Ausquake 350". A JCM800? Maybe. Mine sucked.

Mr. Logi: Stereo Meatsmoke??? Welcome to the forum. And the SUBFORUM you crazy diamond.

I say, if you can afford it and not feel too guilty about it, buy it. I kinda want to upgrade my 50 watt Laney to a 100 watt Laney, but that's so back burner. I will eventually sell my Peavey Firebass 700 and upgrade to a Mesa or Sunn 1200S or Orange Bass Terror 1000 or even a Genz Benz GBE750 (or 900 or 1200). Amp priorities!
grindonomicon

experienced
experienced

Postby HeavyXIII » Fri Aug 07, 2015 1:37 am

I want to upgrade to a modulation that I actually like. I need to figure out how to stop over compressing my Ditto Looper. I'd also like to figure out the balancing act between my OCD and treble booster. Once I have solved all of these problems, I'll probably need a smaller pedalboard.

I hate GAS. It's no longer fun or exciting; it's a chore
Good Deal List: bearbeams, pena_55, sonidero, greyscales, ChetMagongalo, xchristophex, Monkey Boy, krautrocker, osbornkt

D.o.S. wrote:Like, I don't just listen to Whores when I'm sitting alone in my room with the lights off staring at a wall. Sometimes I listen to it with the lights on, too.

Carkoon, my Posty, Doomy, Dadcore band
FACEBOOK | https://www.facebook.com/carkoondoom/
BANDCAMP | https://carkoon.bandcamp.com/releases
HeavyXIII

experienced
experienced

Postby ShaolinLambKiller » Fri Aug 07, 2015 6:43 am

I honestly don't have any gas at the moment. Mine is more of a collecting stand point that there were certain amps I really wanted that fit in the sounds that I enjoy creating. The only one that's left on my list is a JCM800 2203 but it's not a burning desire to get any time immediately mainly cause you see them up for sale almost all the time. it's not like it's extra special.

I started out this year with wanting a Sunn Beta Lead, Laney AOR 100 Pro, Redbear MK120, and another Sunn Enforcer and by April I had all of them and doubles of two. (thanks grind!!!)

then I was ate up wanting a Peavey Butcher and a bit later a Peavey 5150 big block. and I got the Butcher about a month and a half ago and literally last week got the Peavey 5150 bigblock in a flightcase and a Peavey Ultra 120 from the same guy. I've been out of town so I haven't seen either nor been able to take pics or jam.

So I'm sorta floating in emptiness just looking for deals but nothing directly coming up. more so been looking for SS's and VH's for friends who have been wanting them and helping my friend in Canada trying to track down some goodies for his amp collection.

I wouldn't mind getting some custom stuff done in the future, it's just not... well necessary and I have no burning desire for them since they are practically immediately there for me to to get. regardless they cost 4 times the amount on average that I spend on amps. haha.
I like to keep myself busy:
My loud heavy boxes:
www.facebook.com/MaulerCustomCabs

a ton of my music
http://speedritualrecords.storenvy.com/

and a ton of my ugly art
http://www.cavepaints.com/
ShaolinLambKiller

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby D.o.S. » Fri Aug 07, 2015 12:10 pm

I'd like another OR-120 and a mixer so I could maybe do some low-key live stuff, but mostly I just want gear that will help me continue to make "buzzing lights in caves" music.

The only problem I'd have with the mixer is it'd have to be able to run a contact mic, a sampler, and some tone generators with phantom power, and Ideally I'd have my bass as another tone generator as well. Anyone got any ideas?
good deals are here.
escapecraft is here.
UglyCasanova wrote: It's not the expensive programs you use, it's the way you click and drag.

Achtane wrote:
comesect2.0 wrote:Michael Jackson king tut little Richard in your butt.

IT'S THE ENNNND OF THE WORRRLD AS WE KNOW IT
D.o.S.

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby ShimaTetsuo » Fri Aug 07, 2015 1:13 pm

My rig aspirations are for a versatile(to me) rig that I could interchange/add/remove to depending on the needs for the project/venue. In its entirety it would be a huge one. Not necessarily for volume but for spread and separation(bass loop monitoring for myself and drummer). This for a two-piece that I had planned on taking off the ground this spring/summer but didn't happen. I still want the rig though as I'm still writing/arranging shit for that project and I will push forward with or without drummer guy. Best of all it would all be made by myself! Amps, cabs and basses. Thankfully I'm starting a job soon that may allow me to get it done in 12-months time if I play my cards right. As of now I have enough gear to get something off the ground but nothing I'd be truly happy gigging with.

As for GAS, I want a bunch of cool shit but I can never see myself paying for the prices of vintage gear. Even if I had the disposable cash it would be hard to come to terms of spending so much money for boxes of wood or blocks of wood with strings on them. There's only two that might be exceptions for me right now and they're a couple of basses that I've borrowed and have become attached to. But even then I feel like only if the price is right. If not I could always replicate them in one way or another.
ShimaTetsuo

involved
involved

Next

Return to ilovedoom.org