Help t-rey pick a Les Paul.

Re: Help t-rey pick a Les Paul.

Postby braaandooon » Sat Jul 11, 2015 9:25 pm

498's are nice in the bridge, basically a high output alinco v bucker. Never got along with the 490, always seemed way too muddy for me. Really want to give the 490 another chance though, just discovered the magic that is 50's wiring in my SG, the problem is I put pig 90's in that guitar and love those things.
Biggest Muff --> http://imgur.com/Tif0mdU

braaandooon

experienced
experienced

Postby UnicornTrap » Sat Jul 11, 2015 9:36 pm

i love 490/498's in my SG. I've played a 70s LS-6 with the 490/498 combo and that was great too. can't go wrong with the 498 in the bridge
UnicornTrap

committed
committed

Postby t-rey » Sat Jul 11, 2015 10:41 pm

Glad to hear it. For whatever reason I assumed they weren't great and would need to budget for a pickup swap.
t-rey

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby braaandooon » Sun Jul 12, 2015 9:08 am

King Buzzo likes the 490/498 so much that he keeps that combo in his EGC customs, when he could be using a much pricier pickup, or EGC pups for that matter. Not sure if your into The Melvins but figure I'd put that out there.

Come to think of it some of my favorite tonez come from that combo as I really dig Mike's tone from Fight Amp, his sg standard has them as well.
Biggest Muff --> http://imgur.com/Tif0mdU

braaandooon

experienced
experienced

Postby t-rey » Sun Jul 12, 2015 4:58 pm

Not the biggest Melvins fan, but have a ton of respect for Buzzo and his toanz. His choice to put them in his EGC is pretty reassuring.

Today I keep coming back to a particular late 80's Standard, but the dude doesn't know what pickups are in it. Pretty good chance they are the 490/498, so I may make an offer.
t-rey

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby waltdogg » Sun Jul 12, 2015 5:10 pm

I'm glad the 498T gets some love here. It really is a good pickup for the money. I have still have the stock 490R/498T in my Les Paul, they are quite articulate in spite of claims otherwise.
D.o.S. wrote:Why do people eat steak that shit is gross

behndy wrote:lol. she thinks Brazil is wayyyy too unsafe. but i got PLANS.

MechaGodzilla wrote:man, fuck those big neutrik plugs
waltdogg

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby t-rey » Mon Jul 13, 2015 9:31 pm

Dudes. DUDES! I found a birth year custom. It looks to be in really good shape from the pictures and is mostly within the budget. Now I'm having loads of second thoughts about buying such an expensive guitar without being able to play it :facepalm:
t-rey

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby samzadgan » Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:12 pm

A birth year custom...and you posting here instead of out there buying it????

Second thoughts are just excuses...dont listen to them
AxAxSxS wrote:...if its a loud tube amp.... :doom:

Iommic Pope wrote:Amps first, makeup sex later.
samzadgan

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby t-rey » Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:34 pm

Hahaha yeah, I'm really good a fucking up stuff like this. It seems overpriced by several hundred bucks to me, and has already been listed once before, so I'm hoping it won't sell before I can haggle with the guy.

Since the guitar is a gift from my family, I'm going to talk it over with them tomorrow to make sure the price is good with them and to see if they will be pissed if it is somehow awful and I need to flip it for something I will actually play.
t-rey

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby t-rey » Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:43 pm

So let's talk about how Gibson prices are totally fucking out of hand. I lost an auction on ebay for an 89 Standard that was in pretty good shape - the winner paid $2200 for it. I guess Gibson recently jacked up prices and it's being reflected in the prices on the used market.

The whole thing has me looking at the Bill K Mastoguitar more often. Snazzy finish, nice pickups, reasonable price? I might get over the idea of playing a sig guitar if I don't find something soonish.
t-rey

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby samzadgan » Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:50 pm

t-rey wrote:So let's talk about how Gibson prices are totally fucking out of hand. I lost an auction on ebay for an 89 Standard that was in pretty good shape - the winner paid $2200 for it. I guess Gibson recently jacked up prices and it's being reflected in the prices on the used market.

The whole thing has me looking at the Bill K Mastoguitar more often. Snazzy finish, nice pickups, reasonable price? I might get over the idea of playing a sig guitar if I don't find something soonish.

to be fair...that sig guitar doesnt look too sig'y if that makes sense...its not like its a zakk wylde bullseye design...its just a different coloured burst.

for the record, i really like the Bill K sig Explorer...its basically what i would have designed if i was building a custom explorer.
AxAxSxS wrote:...if its a loud tube amp.... :doom:

Iommic Pope wrote:Amps first, makeup sex later.
samzadgan

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby t-rey » Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:54 pm

Yeah. I like that it's a unique color with a nice set of pickups. The truss rod cover is really the only 'sig' thing about it.
t-rey

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby AxAxSxS » Mon Jul 20, 2015 10:33 pm

seriously, fuck gibson. I'd rather buy a shoddily made chinese pos that costs 300 or so than a shoddily made gibson that costs 2k+ Same fixes and setup issues apply.
Band=InfiniteFlux Flux on Bandcamp
"Ingenuity comes in the face of adversity, and nobody ever becomes a legend by following the rules set by society" -A.A.
Corey Y wrote:it's not obsessive gear hoarding. ;)

Infinite Flux full sets and demo's on youtube
whiskey_face wrote:that girl can fucking hit lemme tell you :love: :lol:

https://infiniteflux.bandcamp.com/
AxAxSxS

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby t-rey » Mon Jul 20, 2015 10:42 pm

AxAxSxS wrote:seriously, fuck gibson. I'd rather buy a shoddily made chinese pos that costs 300 or so than a shoddily made gibson that costs 2k+ Same fixes and setup issues apply.

Fer serious? On par with Gibson stuff as far as stuff I can't change?
t-rey

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby misterstomach » Tue Jul 21, 2015 6:09 pm

i've meant to chime in on this thread, but haven't really had a chance. i've owned two gibsons and like most folks, have played countless others. the two that i owned were towards the lower, but not the lowest range of gibson prices and fanciness. i had a gothic sg and a smartwood Les Paul. no one knows about the smart woods, but it was basically a nice studio, made with a fancy pants "sustainable" hardwood top. both guitars were fantastic instruments. i've played and worked on and seen some gibbons that really were pieces of shit, but these were both great, and i would say far and away bearer than most $300 chinese knockoffs out there, though those can be made into quite serviceable instruments.

however, when you start getting into the higher end gibsons, i just don't quite get what you're paying for. i've never played one that seemed worth 3k to me. as far as i understand, the customs had pretty consistently decent production quality throughout the norlin era, as they were made in the custom shop and not on the production floor, but in general if you're birth year is in the late 70's or early 80's i might be a little wary of a birth year gibson, as that was the absolute worst era of the company and the time period when norlin almost drove them into the ground with shitty production and quality control. the early 90's seems like about the best period the company has had since 1970, though there's always been great guitars here and there coming off their line, so you just never know until you play one.

however, if i were looking for a dream les paul and had a decent budget, maybe up to $1500-2000, i would certainly turn my eyes eastward and look for vintage japanese stuff. at that price point you'll find some absolutely gorgeous instruments that are on par with the late 50's gibson as far as craftsmanship, quality, playability and longevity. dollar for dollar, you will not ever come close to matching the value you get. made with wood that you wouldn't even want them to use now from an environmental perspective. dense old growth mahogany and perfect ebony fretboards. and with the way prices have been going on that stuff the past few years, you can get an affordable guitar now that would be out of your range in a few years. from an appreciation standpoint, it's a no brainer. just know the factories and the time periods and be well researched before your purchase. read about the "lawsuit era" so you're well informed. people throw around that term inappropriately all the time. there wasn't even an actual "lawsuit", just a cease and desist letter, primarily over headstock shape. an actual "pre-lawsuit" guitar is more desirable from an investment standpoint, but not necessary for a quality instrument. i'd look in a time period from 75 or 76 to about 83 or 84, knowing that that '76-79 era is really the sweet spot. ignore anything with a bolt on neck or a pancake body. there's some great guitars with two or three piece pancake bodies, but if your spending sort of high dollar and want your dream LP, then you want a one piece body. all the bolt on neck stuff was budget shit. great for a $300 guitar but not more. for that era i'd probably look first to tokai, greco, burny, edwards and ibanez. though most of those guitars were made in the same two factories with different names applied to the headstocks and there's a hundred different "brands" floating around.

i kind of think they're more interesting just cause of the history and most of the time they're a better guitar for a lot cheaper.
ryan summit wrote:Damn these fuckin bullshit techherpes
misterstomach

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

PreviousNext

Return to ilovedoom.org