Help t-rey pick a Les Paul.

Re: Help t-rey pick a Les Paul.

Postby t-rey » Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:33 pm

Dude - thanks for the thoughts and info.

I think I'm over the birth year thing. I was born in 1985, which put the company in a really weird period of time in terms of transition and production - I've seen some 85s with Norlin era features and some without, so I guess that truly was the year it changed. Plus the custom I found was in decent shape, but the dude wouldn't come off of 3k, and I'm just not going to pay that much for one.

After losing out on that 89 Standard yesterday, I have been looking at the Japanese guitars again. I need to do more research on Burny and Greco to see what the better years (no chambering or pancakes) were, especially with Burny since they couldn't be bothered to put fucking serial numbers on their guitars half the time. If I get a custom, I'd really like an ebony board, but outside of newer Edwards stuff, I haven't been able to find one. I've done some limited research and have been looking mostly at guitars coming out of the fujigen factory since they were building for Gibson at the time - any other factories that are as highly regarded that I should be looking for?

I know rationally that I can spend around 1,200 and have a killer guitar, and put the other 800 to good use elsewhere. But then there are things like this 08 Gibson Custom that popped up locally for 2k that I might go play this week....
t-rey

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby misterstomach » Wed Jul 22, 2015 3:18 pm

the matsumoku factory also produced a bunch jammers. They made guitars for greco, ibanez, yamaha, epiphone and a bunch of others. my ibanez is from matsomoku and it's killer.
ryan summit wrote:Damn these fuckin bullshit techherpes
misterstomach

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby t-rey » Wed Jul 22, 2015 8:43 pm

Nice. I'm going to play that Custom tomorrow, so hopefully that works out, but if not I'll be doing some research on the Matsumoku guitars.
t-rey

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby t-rey » Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:07 pm

Brought home a 2008 Les Paul Custom this afternoon. Called Gibson who were super helpful and verified the serial number and all that shit yesterday, so I took a little drive this afternoon to meet up with the owner. The guitar looks almost untouched - he said it lived in it's case since he bought it from a friend and realized that he wasn't a Les Paul guy. He and his family are going on vacation this weekend and I got the impression he just wanted some cash to throw around. Dude was very evidently not hurting for money - I gave him cash in a bank envelope and he didn't even open it before driving off to see if it was cash at all. I've seen dudes count $100 twice, but I've never seen that :wha?:

It's super resonant and sounds good unplugged even with the dead ass strings on it. I haven't been able to plug it in (sleeping kiddo), but I doubt I will be disappointed. There will be many riffs tomorrow.

t-rey

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby samzadgan » Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:16 pm

Very happy for your Trey...that looks like a great guitar and in such good condition too.

you ended getting what you wanted in the end...cant ask for more than that. :thumb: :thumb:
AxAxSxS wrote:...if its a loud tube amp.... :doom:

Iommic Pope wrote:Amps first, makeup sex later.
samzadgan

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby misterstomach » Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:16 pm

Holy shit. That's really fucking sweet. Congratulations and I hope it's a lifetime guitar for you.
ryan summit wrote:Damn these fuckin bullshit techherpes
misterstomach

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby t-rey » Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:23 pm

Thanks, guys. I hope it's a lifer as well - that's the intention anyhow. I honestly didn't think I was going to find one in my budget unless it was in kind of rough shape, and even some of those were out of reach. This just fell in my lap and the seller was one of those rare craigslist folks that honor the deal and gave me time to get there with the cash.
t-rey

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby odontophobia » Fri Jul 24, 2015 1:05 am

Grats dude. Saw the IG post and knew i'd get some deets here. Definitely sounds like a good gift to you from the fam.
odontophobia

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Jäke » Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:44 am

Hells yeah!

Deets?? What's the neck like? Weight? 57 Classic pups? Were those year Customs made in the Custom Shop, with the maroon crushed velvet-lined cases? And can I have it?
poop.
Jäke

committed
committed

Postby t-rey » Fri Jul 24, 2015 2:00 pm

It's a 2008 that was indeed made in the custom shop with the black/maroon case. The neck is super comfy, not as rounded at the neck on my SG Classic, but a bit thicker - I'm terrible with describing this shit, but maybe more of a D shape? Weighs like 9.5 lbs, so just enough heft so you know you're playing a man's guitar.

Actually don't know what the pickups are - I assume they are the 490/498 set that they've been using in the Customs for awhile. I dig their clean tones, but had to do some tweaking on my Elements to dial out some harsh treble on the bridge pickup, but once I got that sorted it was heavy as balls, even with the silly light strings on it.

You can have it when I'm dead. Send me your information and I'll put it in my non-existent will.
t-rey

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Ancient Astronaught » Fri Jul 24, 2015 2:26 pm

That mug is cleeeeeean!!! Sweet score dude!!! :yay:
Iommic Pope wrote:Skip, you rule. You hate people so much, you're willing to discredit all human progress, its awesome.
Ancient Astronaught

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby AxAxSxS » Sun Jul 26, 2015 9:50 pm

That looks like sex.

t-rey wrote:
AxAxSxS wrote:seriously, fuck gibson. I'd rather buy a shoddily made chinese pos that costs 300 or so than a shoddily made gibson that costs 2k+ Same fixes and setup issues apply.

Fer serious? On par with Gibson stuff as far as stuff I can't change?

the finish on the chickenplucker I got recently is very nice. one run, but at that price point, so what.
You may have infected me with LP want. That and breaking out the kit built Axcess clone I made to attempt to learn some of a friends bands songs, so I went and ordered a chibson axcess copy. I'd be glad to document it's flaws as well as fixes here or in a new thread if people are interested. The ric bass I got received a tuner fix, Nut reworked, bridge moved as well as routed to sit lower, normal setup and intonation. It now crushes. And I mean it really fucking does. I'm a huge fan of the chinese ric clone pickups and would prefer them to ric, and yes I have ab'd with the real deal into the same amp same settings. I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND PEOPLE GET THESE IF THEY ARE NOT PREPARED TO FIX FLAWS. but if you are.... Hoping the lp shows up with similar nice wood and appearance. they do quite well in that dept lately from what I have seen.
Band=InfiniteFlux Flux on Bandcamp
"Ingenuity comes in the face of adversity, and nobody ever becomes a legend by following the rules set by society" -A.A.
Corey Y wrote:it's not obsessive gear hoarding. ;)

Infinite Flux full sets and demo's on youtube
whiskey_face wrote:that girl can fucking hit lemme tell you :love: :lol:

https://infiniteflux.bandcamp.com/
AxAxSxS

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby t-rey » Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:08 am

Ancient Astronaught wrote:That mug is cleeeeeean!!! Sweet score dude!!! :yay:

Thanks, duder.

AxAxSxS wrote:That looks like sex.

the finish on the chickenplucker I got recently is very nice. one run, but at that price point, so what.
You may have infected me with LP want. That and breaking out the kit built Axcess clone I made to attempt to learn some of a friends bands songs, so I went and ordered a chibson axcess copy. I'd be glad to document it's flaws as well as fixes here or in a new thread if people are interested. The ric bass I got received a tuner fix, Nut reworked, bridge moved as well as routed to sit lower, normal setup and intonation. It now crushes. And I mean it really fucking does. I'm a huge fan of the chinese ric clone pickups and would prefer them to ric, and yes I have ab'd with the real deal into the same amp same settings. I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND PEOPLE GET THESE IF THEY ARE NOT PREPARED TO FIX FLAWS. but if you are.... Hoping the lp shows up with similar nice wood and appearance. they do quite well in that dept lately from what I have seen.

Thanks mang.

Glad to have infected you with a case of the wants. It's the most Murican thing I can do.

I know that I'd be interested to see the issues and fixes documented. I lack the ability to fix most things on a guitar, but it's something that I've wanted to do for a long while now - take care of my own setups, fix minor issues, swap pickups, shit like that.
t-rey

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby AxAxSxS » Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:30 pm

That ben Verellan Kurt Bloch class I attended that you can get from Creative live is excellent, and Gibson specific to a certain extant. Kurt Bloch is the Seattle Gibson show room Tech? I think? anyways he explains it all in very simple terms and really cuts to the chase. I didn't really learn new things, just better ways of doing them, during the guitar portion, the Verellan part was Nick level stuff.

I think every player can and should learn how to set up a guitar. Very easy once you get the hang of it.

I may do a thread in the guitar tech section here, depends on how bad it is, If all I end up doing is neck relief, string height and intonation, might not bother. If it requires tools beyond an allen wrench and screwdriver, I'll do a whole thing on it.
Band=InfiniteFlux Flux on Bandcamp
"Ingenuity comes in the face of adversity, and nobody ever becomes a legend by following the rules set by society" -A.A.
Corey Y wrote:it's not obsessive gear hoarding. ;)

Infinite Flux full sets and demo's on youtube
whiskey_face wrote:that girl can fucking hit lemme tell you :love: :lol:

https://infiniteflux.bandcamp.com/
AxAxSxS

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby samzadgan » Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:26 pm

AxAxSxS wrote:That ben Verellan Kurt Bloch class I attended that you can get from Creative live is excellent, and Gibson specific to a certain extant. Kurt Bloch is the Seattle Gibson show room Tech? I think? anyways he explains it all in very simple terms and really cuts to the chase. I didn't really learn new things, just better ways of doing them, during the guitar portion, the Verellan part was Nick level stuff.

I think every player can and should learn how to set up a guitar. Very easy once you get the hang of it.

I may do a thread in the guitar tech section here, depends on how bad it is, If all I end up doing is neck relief, string height and intonation, might not bother. If it requires tools beyond an allen wrench and screwdriver, I'll do a whole thing on it.

yeah man...i would want to read that thread, you should definitely start one.

I'm going to have my first go at heavily modifying my jazzmaster, which will be set up, electronics etc...depending on how i go, i might do a thread on that too.
AxAxSxS wrote:...if its a loud tube amp.... :doom:

Iommic Pope wrote:Amps first, makeup sex later.
samzadgan

IAMILF
IAMILF

PreviousNext

Return to ilovedoom.org