Help t-rey pick a Les Paul.

Help t-rey pick a Les Paul.

Postby t-rey » Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:23 pm

Like I mentioned in the main thread, I got the green light from my family to pick out a guitar for my birthday. I'm starting to get a little bit overwhelmed, so instead of clogging up the main thread with my bullshit, I will do it here.

Since this is something I'll want to keep forever, I don't want to fuck it up. I've narrowed it down to a Les Paul, or maybe an SG with humbuggies (particularly in Silverburst).

I can't justify the cost of a 'real' LP Custom, but there are tons of Japanese copies out there. Primarily I have been looking at Edwards and Orville, but have seen several Japanese Epiphones pop up that were made in the Fujigen factory and have the 'correct' headstock.

As far as the Edwards, there are some that are 'all laquer' and some that just the top is (I'm assuming the rest is poly?). Should that really be a consideration?

I've seen quite a few complaints about weak/otherwise shitty pickups in the Orvilles, Tokais, Burnys, etc - anyone care to chime in on that?

Any experience with Japanese Epis?

Anything obvious that I'm overlooking?
t-rey

IAMILF
IAMILF

Re: Help t-rey pick a Les Paul.

Postby Disarm D'arcy » Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:25 pm

In most Japanse copies, the pickups are a bit shitty. In some they're good to awesome. Don't worry about it, worst case scenario that's an easy fix.

Japanese Epis are good to excellent, so if you find one that you like at a fair price, go for it.

That's my 0.02.
Good deals: OsbornKT, Phantasmagorovich, UglyCasanova, DarkAxel, Skip, D.o.S, ColdBrightSunlight, Eivind August, Goroth

https://linktr.ee/disarmdarcy

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Disarm D'arcy

Supporter
Supporter

Postby t-rey » Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:28 pm

Right on - what would be a fair price for a Japanese Epi?
t-rey

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Disarm D'arcy » Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:29 pm

Hard to say, haven't been in the market for a les Paul since 2009 when I got my Gibson...
Good deals: OsbornKT, Phantasmagorovich, UglyCasanova, DarkAxel, Skip, D.o.S, ColdBrightSunlight, Eivind August, Goroth

https://linktr.ee/disarmdarcy

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Disarm D'arcy

Supporter
Supporter

Postby ShaolinLambKiller » Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:57 pm

I say an LP. But that's cause I'm not big on SG's
I like to keep myself busy:
My loud heavy boxes:
www.facebook.com/MaulerCustomCabs

a ton of my music
http://speedritualrecords.storenvy.com/

and a ton of my ugly art
http://www.cavepaints.com/
ShaolinLambKiller

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby t-rey » Tue Jun 30, 2015 4:08 pm

There's a 99 MIJ Epiphone custom with a hard case here in Murica for $1k shipped. It's made in the Fujigen factory, which means it's essentially an Orville, right? Says it has an ebony board too. Not sure about the pickups, but emailed the guy and waiting to hear back. Does that price sound about right for these?
t-rey

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby braaandooon » Tue Jun 30, 2015 5:34 pm

Try to swing for a Yamaha Lord Player, if to pricey the Studio Lord's are usually reasonable. I feel these guitars are the best LP's of em' all, and priced with most other quality copies.
Attachments
sl800s13.jpg
sl800s13.jpg (54.08 KiB) Viewed 4744 times
Biggest Muff --> http://imgur.com/Tif0mdU

braaandooon

experienced
experienced

Postby Barnhard » Tue Jun 30, 2015 7:43 pm

On this note, quality Jap prefered, LP copy with a tummy cut?
Barnhard

committed
committed

Postby Jäke » Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:27 pm

My 2¢...

A good Japanese Les Paul copy is going to cost $1000, give or take a couple hundy. If you really want a Les Paul, it might not be that much more for something like an early '90s Standard or Classic. Either of which I'm convinced are superior instruments to similar models Gibson has made in the last 15 or so years (of course there are exceptions).
poop.
Jäke

committed
committed

Postby t-rey » Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:33 pm

That Yamaha looks nice. I will add those to the list.

The Epi I was looking at sold before the due returned my email. Lame.

LP with tummy cut - maybe an ESP EC series? It's not exactly the same shape, but they are comfy.
t-rey

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby t-rey » Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:35 pm

Jäke wrote:My 2¢...

A good Japanese Les Paul copy is going to cost $1000, give or take a couple hundy. If you really want a Les Paul, it might not be that much more for something like an early '90s Standard or Classic. Either of which I'm convinced are superior instruments to similar models Gibson has made in the last 15 or so years (of course there are exceptions).

I am trying to stay $1500 or less, and I really want a black/gold custom, which is why I've been mostly eyeing MIJ guitars - but I've been searching for Gibsons as well.
t-rey

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby UnicornTrap » Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:45 pm

Consider a 70s japanese electra. I have a 1972 super rock law suit 2242 that looks and plays exactly like a black beauty custom except for a bolt on neck. I picked one up locally a few years ago for around $350. The pickups might have to be replaced for the doom if you need super hot output. I've considered replacing mine, but haven't because I really dig how the gold plating on these is wearing off... I have never had a problem with sustain on this guitar lol

link to a gallery of images when i bought it -> http://imgur.com/a/NVKT0#0
UnicornTrap

committed
committed

Postby t-rey » Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:12 am

Thanks - going on the list.
t-rey

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Jäke » Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:13 pm

Seems like a lot of those "lawsuit" type Customs have brown rosewood fretboards, which always seemed out of place on something as elegant as a Black Beauty. Well to me, anyways.

But on the topic of these types of guitars, I recently picked up a '77 Greco on eBay and am very happy with it. I was sort of assuming that I'd want to sink some money into it with new pups and electronics, but they are all pretty excellent sounding. But I might swap out the tuners for something a little more robust down the line.
poop.
Jäke

committed
committed

Postby t-rey » Wed Jul 01, 2015 2:15 pm

Yeah - I have definitely found myself looking for the darker boards. The Edwards customs have ebony boards and good Duncans in them, but now that I've started down the rabbit hole all I can find is people complaining that they aren't 'really' made in Japan.

For the same price though, looks like I could get a fujigen made Orville custom and have all the electronics replaced.
t-rey

IAMILF
IAMILF

Next

Return to ilovedoom.org