Help t-rey pick a Les Paul.

Postby NoLA-Riffft » Sat Jul 04, 2015 4:05 pm

Last edited by NoLA-Riffft on Sun Dec 08, 2019 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NoLA-Riffft

committed
committed

Re: Help t-rey pick a Les Paul.

Postby t-rey » Sun Jul 05, 2015 1:46 pm

Yeah - finding something local would be ideal, but that's probably not feasible. The Japanese guitars have a really solid reputation for being consistent, which makes me feel better than buying a used studio or standard sight unseen.
t-rey

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Mudfuzz » Sun Jul 05, 2015 10:35 pm

Disarm D'arcy wrote:In most Japanse copies, the pickups are a bit shitty. In some they're good to awesome. Don't worry about it, worst case scenario that's an easy fix.

Japanese Epis are good to excellent, so if you find one that you like at a fair price, go for it.

That's my 0.02.

in most maybe… Burny pickups though are rather good, [and 80's-90's burny guitars are sick awesome] I like them enough to have bought a few on ebay to put in other guitars.
Mudfuzz

HERO
HERO

Postby braaandooon » Sun Jul 05, 2015 11:04 pm

I really like some of the japanese pickups. I'm a really big fan of the maxon pups, really dig the pu-2's for humbuckers, moderate output, and beefy.

My favorite though are the super 6 single coils that came in early 80's ibanez roadstars. Those fuckers scream. They read at 17k and raunch up nicely. Trying to find some for my sunn mustang but no luck so far.
Biggest Muff --> http://imgur.com/Tif0mdU

braaandooon

experienced
experienced

Postby Kacey Y » Mon Jul 06, 2015 2:55 pm

Just wanted to let you know Trey, I got my Greco LP in today and didn't have to pay any additional duties.
Appalachian Queer Punk Moms Local 138
Kacey Y

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby t-rey » Tue Jul 07, 2015 12:19 pm

Huzzah! How do you like it so far?
t-rey

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Kacey Y » Tue Jul 07, 2015 12:51 pm

t-rey wrote:Huzzah! How do you like it so far?

Diggin it, but I will probably replace the pickups. They have that typical 70's low output, more treble focused tone to them. Would be killer if I was playing classic rock through a vintage Marshall. I'm probably going to throw something more high output in there, but I'm still playing around with it. As far as the feel and the look, out of sight my man.
Kacey Y

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby t-rey » Wed Jul 08, 2015 1:51 pm

Glad to hear it. I'm still very much on the hunt. I've never had anything with low output humbuggies before, but if I'm going to budget a pickup swap anyhow, I might as well try something with them to see if I like them.

POST PICS :doom:
t-rey

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Kacey Y » Wed Jul 08, 2015 2:50 pm

t-rey wrote:Glad to hear it. I'm still very much on the hunt. I've never had anything with low output humbuggies before, but if I'm going to budget a pickup swap anyhow, I might as well try something with them to see if I like them.

POST PICS :doom:

I'm giving them a fair shot before I change anything. The only low output pickups I ever had before this was on an old SG I used to have and I liked it 1000x more when I changed them to just basic Seymour Duncan PAF style pickups. I might just throw some GFS Fat Pats in there or something, I dunno yet.

Here's some pics...

Kacey Y

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Jäke » Wed Jul 08, 2015 5:14 pm

I'm pretty sure my Greco's pups are on the low side, but it's sort of a blessing since my current setup can get fairly unruly with high output pups.
poop.
Jäke

committed
committed

Postby t-rey » Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:04 pm

Damn, that's a snazzy beast.
t-rey

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby samzadgan » Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:22 pm

That is a beautiful looking guitar...did anyone mention Ishibashi? that place has so much cool stock of guitars, and by all accounts they are amazing to deal with.

There's a lot of black beauties on there, but i think the gibson ones are above your limit...but they have so much more stuff. I second the Yamaha ones, Yamaha just make great fuckin guitars...but greco and the others are also pretty cool.

check out this site, this guy is in the UK, and has some nice stuff, but also has a wealth of knowledge on the site too...
http://www.japanguitars.co.uk/index.htm
AxAxSxS wrote:...if its a loud tube amp.... :doom:

Iommic Pope wrote:Amps first, makeup sex later.
samzadgan

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby t-rey » Thu Jul 09, 2015 3:24 pm

I will have a look at the Ishibashi site. However, turns out the budget is a bit more than expected, so I've been looking at mid 80's-early 90's Gibson customs or standards, and also some historic reissues (R# guitars) from the 2000's are falling in the range as well.

Not that this is TGP or anything, but does anyone have an opinion on Customs vs R# guitars?
t-rey

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Ancient Astronaught » Thu Jul 09, 2015 3:53 pm

Older is better IMO when it comes to gibsons. Mid 80's to early 90's were the last of their hay day to the best of my knowledge, if you can get a Custom or Standard from that time frame you should be golden.
Iommic Pope wrote:Skip, you rule. You hate people so much, you're willing to discredit all human progress, its awesome.
Ancient Astronaught

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby t-rey » Sat Jul 11, 2015 8:49 pm

Thanks, Skip. From just looking at pictures online it seems like you're right - the post-Norlin guitars through about 1995 look like better quality instruments. The Historic Reissues are exceptions to this, but for 3k+ they fucking better be.

As it stands right now I'm torn between three options: Black/Gold custom from whatever year I can afford (typically late 80's), Tobacco Burst Standard from the early 90's, or a Goldtop R7 or R8 which pop up quite a bit in my budget (dunno why the goldtops are cheaper than the others...)

Some of the guitars I've seen say they have the 490/498 pickup combo in them - are they pretty decent pickups?
t-rey

IAMILF
IAMILF

PreviousNext

Return to ilovedoom.org