Sludge/Noise Rock Guitars?

Re: Sludge/Noise Rock Guitars?

Postby archlilim » Sun Jun 28, 2015 1:39 pm

christianatl wrote:Get a Tele Deluxe or Custom.

This is what I use. Does the job.
archlilim

experienced
experienced

Postby christianatl » Sun Jun 28, 2015 10:27 pm

Shit's manly.
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Whores/108004672554176
http://whores.bandcamp.com
http://whores.bigcartel.com

WTB: Chase Bliss Tonal Recall, Keeley 30ms Delay, cool fuzzes and hand-painted stuff.
christianatl

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby oldangelmidnight » Sun Jun 28, 2015 10:36 pm

Buzz uses Les Pauls when not using EGCs so that's probably what you want.
oldangelmidnight

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby The Mad Titan » Mon Jun 29, 2015 12:58 am

I say go with the Edwards LPC or Tele. It also just so happens those will most likely be my next two guitars. :lol:

Also, a LP Special P90 would be awesome for your needs, which I also happen to have one of (not for sale, it's been my #1 player since the moment I got it).
The Mad Titan

committed
committed

Postby spruce_moose » Mon Jun 29, 2015 1:38 am

whiskey_face wrote:Sg. Best guitar ever.

My Ibanez SG is my dream guitar. I've messed around with it a bit, but I can't beat it for noisy heavy stuff, or clean for that matter..

The thought of someone stealing it makes me queasy.

Anywho, the old Japanese Gibson copies are cheap as, but way more interesting tonally IMO.
spruce_moose

committed
committed

Postby whiskey_face » Mon Jun 29, 2015 5:38 am

I will back old Japanese gibby clones. There are some awful ones but when you start getting into the set neck grecos and the univox gimmie range, shit gets real. True story, i had a greco bolt on that convinced me to sell a les paul standard premium. Everything about it was superior. The only reason i dont have the greco anymore was it was to heavy for my wrecked shoulder.

Fwiw now i play sgs and melody makers.
good deals with Noise. . .guitmatt, magiclawnchair, delaydecay, Fuzz_Pi, nixhex113, theAntihero, Ancient Astronaught, bigchiefbc, jwojtysiak, neonblack, osbornkt

http://www.facebook.com/daughtersofzionaz
whiskey_face

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby ancientbones » Mon Jun 29, 2015 6:54 am

The Mad Titan wrote:I say go with the Edwards LPC or Tele. It also just so happens those will most likely be my next two guitars. :lol:

Also, a LP Special P90 would be awesome for your needs, which I also happen to have one of (not for sale, it's been my #1 player since the moment I got it).

I rarely see P90 specials for sale. And when they are for sale around here they're usually like $700 or $800 which seems like a little too much.
ancientbones

committed
committed

Postby frigid midget » Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:31 pm

When listening to sludge/doom/whatever records and shows and bands...The toanz I dig more almost always come from les pauls, sg's, or some other solid body set neck guitar with humbuckies...

Too bad I can't for the life of me get used to the feel of a gibbo. Which is why I'm hunting down a Hagstrom Superswede, which in a lot of ways is just a 25.5 scale les paul, with a different neck profile, different electronics, a coil tap,...And it's a helluva lot cheaper :)

I'm a fender guy though, my Jazzmaster hasn't let me down so far. Probably not worthy of what most people consider 'doom' though :idk:
frigid midget

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby aen » Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:35 pm

I think you're going to need an electric. And I would recommend a solid body, unless microphonic feedback is a big part of your composition or technique.
Chankgeez wrote:
DWARFCRAFT: We are not fucking around this year.
aen

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby waltdogg » Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:52 pm

ancientbones wrote:
The Mad Titan wrote:I say go with the Edwards LPC or Tele. It also just so happens those will most likely be my next two guitars. :lol:

I rarely see P90 specials for sale. And when they are for sale around here they're usually like $700 or $800 which seems like a little too much.

This. So much. People are asking $700-$800+ for FADED Double Cutaway LP Specials. SMH. I just want my favorite guitar again.
D.o.S. wrote:Why do people eat steak that shit is gross

behndy wrote:lol. she thinks Brazil is wayyyy too unsafe. but i got PLANS.

MechaGodzilla wrote:man, fuck those big neutrik plugs
waltdogg

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby ancientbones » Mon Jun 29, 2015 3:21 pm

waltdogg wrote:
ancientbones wrote:

This. So much. People are asking $700-$800+ for FADED Double Cutaway LP Specials. SMH. I just want my favorite guitar again.

I don't get why people charge that kinda shit for a faded. I see SG Standards for $700-$800 all the time locally.
ancientbones

committed
committed

Postby frigid midget » Mon Jun 29, 2015 3:57 pm

Forgot to mension, this is the closest I ever got to really loving a gibbo, nothing counting the totally unaffordable ES-335:

Tuned to D standard right now, with rusted strings and covered under half an inch of dust. I'm gonna give it some tlc, restring it and set it up for C standard, to rekindle the flame. The stock P100's don't deserve the bad reputation they get online, people just too often make the mistake of compairing em to P90's, just because they look the same. I like the GFS mini humbuckers better though, they're a bit clearer, and actually more single coil-y than the P100s imo.

Aside from the aforemensioned Hagstrom Super Swede, I'm also lusting for a Tokai ES-60. Even cheaper, and for my skills/needs, probably close enough to the real deal. I used to have a Gibson ES-335 for a while. Couldn't afford to keep it, but man do I miss that growl and air and feedback and those overtones,... :drool:

So yeah as far as noise/sludge goes, imo having a Jazzmaster style bridge or a semi-hollow body, helps a lot getting intersting textures and noise/feedback that you can't easily get out of a regular sg or lp or even tele.
Last edited by frigid midget on Mon Jun 29, 2015 6:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
frigid midget

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby van_muddlestein » Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:00 pm

Anything will work, though. Everyone has suggested great guitars, but just find something you love. My current guitar is a shitty Jagmaster that most people would hate on. I've rocked Gretsch electromatic hollowbodies for noise stuff and it slays for ME. It's just a matter of finding something you love playing on and forcing it to work.
van_muddlestein

committed
committed

Postby spruce_moose » Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:03 pm

van_muddlestein wrote:Anything will work, though. Everyone has suggested great guitars, but just find something you love.

Agreed! I think 75% of what I dig about my guitar is the weight/look/neck. Anything else is up for tweaking. I saw a two piece band called Spermaids and they were playing a standard tele. Through something like a DS7 and a PS5 for octave down, it was one of the beefiest live tones I've heard. In my head I imagined that sound to come from a guitar that was stereotypically sludgy, but it was mostly their pedal chain and playing style.. :idk:
spruce_moose

committed
committed

Postby neonblack » Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:07 pm

Also, Bass VI is pretty great for sludge and noise, especially if you get the Squier version with the strangle switch to make it even more versatile. The bridge pickup through some distortion is SUPER grindy and then you just flick a switch and you have a beefy bassy sludgy tone.
neonblack

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

PreviousNext

Return to ilovedoom.org