200 Watt Tube Amp For Guitar

Re: 200 Watt Tube Amp For Guitar

Postby Piecutter » Sat May 16, 2020 4:35 pm

waltdogg wrote:Fender Bassman 135. Ultra linear Model T type power section crushing clean volume and an ultimate pedal platform. An upgraded and modded Bugera 1960 is a good idea but between finding a tech that's willing to work on a cheap PCB amp and putting the money into new transformers it might become a money pit.

Or, if you can justify a few hundred less but not he $2K for a Mother get a Hellhawk because those amps are LOUD for 100 watts. A deal on a working Ampeg V-4 is a good bet too, those amps are loud af distortion machines and the EQ was the same on the V-4 and V-4B. So you can get either and you'd just want to change one of the input caps on a V-4B to revoice it for guitar. And that's an easy/cheap mod.

I have a v4b and haven’t heard about this mod and I play guitar. What will this do to my overall tone and how much would a mod like that cost if I take it into the shop?
Piecutter

involved
involved

Postby Piecutter » Sat May 16, 2020 4:55 pm

ShaunNecro wrote:I use my Sound City for a more bassier fuzzier sound and my V4 cranked for a brighter grindier tone, and they sound beautiful together.

Sounds like a dream! I’ve always wanted to get my hands on a Sound City. I have a V4B and I want to run it alongside another amp. There is a super cheap GK400rb in my area with a gk115 cab for $150 for both... I’m thinking about getting it. I think the 400rb will be loud enough as a guitar amp idk. I know for bass it’s almost not enough. Like the V4B for bass.. 100 watts doesn’t quite cut it if you play with dudes with Marshall or Orange stacks, but for guitar it’s loud af! I think the 400rb will be loud for a guitar amp idk... This thread is making me want to pull the trigger on that deal. I feel like I’ll be losing money if I don’t get it lol
Piecutter

involved
involved

Postby Lurker13 » Sat May 23, 2020 3:36 pm

Piecutter wrote:
waltdogg wrote:Fender Bassman 135. Ultra linear Model T type power section crushing clean volume and an ultimate pedal platform. An upgraded and modded Bugera 1960 is a good idea but between finding a tech that's willing to work on a cheap PCB amp and putting the money into new transformers it might become a money pit.

Or, if you can justify a few hundred less but not he $2K for a Mother get a Hellhawk because those amps are LOUD for 100 watts. A deal on a working Ampeg V-4 is a good bet too, those amps are loud af distortion machines and the EQ was the same on the V-4 and V-4B. So you can get either and you'd just want to change one of the input caps on a V-4B to revoice it for guitar. And that's an easy/cheap mod.

I have a v4b and haven’t heard about this mod and I play guitar. What will this do to my overall tone and how much would a mod like that cost if I take it into the shop?

Good news! I found your message! I'm here to rescue you and take you back to civilization! :lol:

Seriously, ILD has been deader than a door nail for years. I don't think most of these guys even lurk anymore, although a few of them still post on ILF. I think you will have a much better chance of getting a response if you start a thread in the Guitar & Bass section of ILF.
coldbrightsunlight wrote:Hey man, you can do what you want in this den of shame.
Lurker13

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby fcknoise » Wed Jul 08, 2020 4:56 am

Ah I miss ILD. Good thread
Cydonia wrote: Too bad no one here is interested in talking about "gear"

BossMann73 wrote:I didn't insult it......I "curated" a "different aesthetic.".

John wrote:I love how this forum has the GDP of Switzerland in pedals but the collective value of everyone's patch cables is less than the change in my couch cushions. And I don't have a couch.

Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/sharkmovieappriciator
Bandcamp: https://fcknoise.bandcamp.com/
fcknoise

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Previous

Return to ilovedoom.org