Another speaker question thread!

Another speaker question thread!

Postby John Matrix » Wed Jun 10, 2015 2:09 pm

This has most likely been covered before so I apologize for bringing it up again, but I wasn't finding the exact answer to my question using the search feature.

I'm looking to reload my 412 with some new speakers. A lot of folks have been recommending the Swamp Thang, Texas Heat combo for playing heavy music. From what I gather the ST brings the big heavies and the TH has more midrange. This sounds good to me but I'd like some feedback from those of you who use this mix. I need a combo that sounds good playing the big riffs but also can provide a strong, cutting lead tone. We're a two guitar band and we both alternate playing leads/melodies and sometimes play them together. I don't want the leads to get lost in the sea of bass. If I had to choose I'd rather have a set up with a good lead tone than lots bass, I'm fine with letting the bassist handle most of the low end. But you know, if I could have both that would be tight.

Am I on the right track or is there something else I should be looking at?

It it helps, I play a Beta Lead.
John Matrix

experienced
experienced

Re: Another speaker question thread!

Postby Ancient Astronaught » Wed Jun 10, 2015 2:13 pm

If you like a thick chunky tone with lots of speaker break up got with the ST / TH combo. If you want something loud clean and impossible to blow that can both cut through a mix and have shit tons of low end then go Emi Delta Pro 12. I personally like the WGS ET65's as they are like you want lots of mid range to cut through but enough low end to pacify (I'm not worried about low end as they are paired with 15's in my setup).
Iommic Pope wrote:Skip, you rule. You hate people so much, you're willing to discredit all human progress, its awesome.
Ancient Astronaught

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby The Mad Titan » Wed Jun 10, 2015 3:29 pm

EVM12L + Mesa OEM V30 will give you all you're asking for and more. The ninja lows, super crunchy mid grind, and more cut than a saw-blade factory. The Mesa OEM V30's are WAY superior to the regular Celestion V30, and in a trad sized 4x12 cab with the EV's, man fuck me I love that cab. :love:

On a budget you can always swap the Emi Delta Pro's in for the EV's. It'll save you a good little bit on the used market.

I love the ET65 by itself, or mixed with other speakers, but they don't hold a candle to the above combo for the criteria you have. No where near the punch, presence, detail, or cut of the EV/Celestion (Mesa) mix. I've had the ET65 and Vet 30's and though I liked them and my other copies/clones (Weber and Emi) of big name speakers, they have all been sold and I've kept/added to my real Fanes (AXA12, Medusa 100, and Crescendo), Celestions (G12H(55) and Mesa V30), and EV's ( alnico SRO12L and EVM12L).

In the end the originals just sound better to me. There's always something missing in the copies/clones, less presence, a little notch in the mids that's different, sound smaller, less loudness (lower sensitivity), less chime, etc...
The Mad Titan

committed
committed

Postby John Matrix » Wed Jun 10, 2015 3:42 pm

Thanks for the comments so far. I should probably mention that I'm not looking for anything too expensive. I don't wanna spend more than 100 per speaker.

Also, I don't tune down THAT low. Just to C.
John Matrix

experienced
experienced

Postby The Mad Titan » Wed Jun 10, 2015 4:03 pm

John Matrix wrote:Thanks for the comments so far. I should probably mention that I'm not looking for anything too expensive. I don't wanna spend more than 100 per speaker.

Also, I don't tune down THAT low. Just to C.

The Mesa V30's are actually an awesome deal, made in England and cost $129 brand new from Mesa. That's about $20 less than the regular MIC Celestion V30's. You can probably find a couple used Emi Delta Pro's for under $100 a piece, and it'll all balance out.

As for tunings I never go lower than C std myself, usually either in E, C#, or C std, or some open E, C, D, or G tuning, and that cab kills for the heavier riffing in C and C#. It's definitely my "bring the heavy" cab.
The Mad Titan

committed
committed

Postby chillerthanmost » Wed Jun 10, 2015 4:57 pm

Out of all the manufactures I've tried, I've liked Eminence the most. Never have issues with them, while I always have issues with all others. Eminence speakers are great, plus they are loud. I like their Governor, Wizard, and Legend GB's.
chillerthanmost

Supporter
Supporter

Postby John Matrix » Thu Jun 11, 2015 3:12 pm

Anyone try a combo of Wizards and Swamp Thangs? One is from the British line and one is from the American line...I don't know what difference that would make. I don't know shit about speakers.
John Matrix

experienced
experienced

Postby Ancient Astronaught » Thu Jun 11, 2015 4:00 pm

Am I the only person who hasn't found an Eminence "guitar" speaker they like? I can't stand them, they seem to me to be the most colored speakers out there, and sure they are loud but I don't like how they break up at all. I love their Delta series high wattage speakers though; neutral tone, loud as piss, can handle as much low end and as many watts as you can throw at em, etc. But the guitar speakers.... ick.
Iommic Pope wrote:Skip, you rule. You hate people so much, you're willing to discredit all human progress, its awesome.
Ancient Astronaught

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby ShaunNecro » Thu Jun 11, 2015 7:35 pm

John Matrix wrote:Anyone try a combo of Wizards and Swamp Thangs? One is from the British line and one is from the American line...I don't know what difference that would make. I don't know shit about speakers.

One has guns and the other has tea time.
Wills Dissolve
http://facebook.com/willsdissolveband
https://willsdissolve.bandcamp.com
http://shaunnecro.tumblr.com/
NSFW: show
Iommic Pope wrote:Remember, she was dead when you got there......but you couldn't have been there-you were on a jumping castle at that point in time.

We just call it the "doom" room in the hope we might lure hipster girls there...into our rape vans....I mean vans of righteous wizarding.
ShaunNecro

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby potatofarmer » Mon Jun 15, 2015 4:42 pm

I like the Swamp Thangs by themselves, haven't tried mixing them with anything yet. They probably could use more mids, but I tend to EQ pretty mid-heavy anyway.

Anyone tried the Tonker? It's got the same sensitivity of the Swamp Thang but looks a little more even in the mids, but in the clips I can find it sounds about the same, but a little brighter.
potatofarmer

interested
interested

Postby desmondtencents » Mon Jun 15, 2015 6:26 pm

Another good combo using Celestions:
V30's with G12K100's
I've heard plenty of times that the Mesa V30's are better but I've never owned them so I can't say from experience.
I have two 2x12 cabs from Avatar. Both are the "Contemporary" cabs. Somewhat oversized, very similar to the Orange PPC212. One is loaded with V30's and the other has the G12K100's. They sound really good together. Looks like Avatar's website is down/under construction right now. Last time I looked though, I think both speakers were just north of $100 a piece. (around $120 I think) I don't think you'd find better new prices anywhere else. Their customer service is awesome too.
desmondtencents

uncommitted
uncommitted

Postby theAntihero » Mon Jun 15, 2015 11:49 pm

Swamps and v30s

Tonkers are the worst speakers ive ever played
Great trades with : Officer Bukowski, Bklingman, Jero, Jrmy,ethanxcampos, whiskey_face, doctorpoopenstein420, terminator
theAntihero

experienced
experienced

Postby PeteeBee » Tue Jun 16, 2015 12:55 am

Would a swamp and a v30 be a good pair? I find my rig a little more harsh than I want it, at least when it's set to bring the thunder. Right now it's all v30s with a Peavey musician head. I'd like to have a little more round and smooth tone without going bass crazy
Iommic Pope wrote:This is the best you've been.
Suffering suits you.

BitchPudding wrote:Let this be written in our history as proof that ILoveFuzz is one tight knit internet family.
PeteeBee

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby PeteeBee » Tue Jun 16, 2015 12:55 am

Would a swamp and a v30 be a good pair? I find my rig a little more harsh than I want it, at least when it's set to bring the thunder. Right now it's all v30s with a Peavey musician head. I'd like to have a little more round and smooth tone without going bass crazy
Iommic Pope wrote:This is the best you've been.
Suffering suits you.

BitchPudding wrote:Let this be written in our history as proof that ILoveFuzz is one tight knit internet family.
PeteeBee

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby theAntihero » Tue Jun 16, 2015 11:03 pm

Its a great mixture, it ends up sounding like a super v30. The swamp adds craploads of bass and low mids and the v30 has all the mids the swamp lacks
Great trades with : Officer Bukowski, Bklingman, Jero, Jrmy,ethanxcampos, whiskey_face, doctorpoopenstein420, terminator
theAntihero

experienced
experienced

Return to ilovedoom.org