EMG passive bass pickups! Fitted and fucking awesome!

Re: EMG passive bass pickups! Experience and opinions.

Postby KaosCill8r » Tue Jun 09, 2015 11:51 pm

The pickups are in. Just waiting for the knobs to suit the round shaft pots that come with it. They seem to have been sitting in Chicago IL since the 5th according to the USPS tracking info. They were moving real quick up till then.
KaosCill8r

IAMILF
IAMILF

Re: EMG passive bass pickups! Experience and opinions.

Postby KaosCill8r » Tue Jun 23, 2015 10:00 am

Well the last of the parts I've ordered for the pickup change finally arrived today. :yay: Just pulled all the old pickups out so there is no turning back now. Will be putting in the new stuff later on tonight.
Will post some feedback for anyone who's interested in a few days. :thumb:
KaosCill8r

IAMILF
IAMILF

Re: EMG passive bass pickups! Fitted and fucking awesome!

Postby KaosCill8r » Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:29 am

Fuck Yeah!!! :yay:
Fitting them was a breeze. I was initially skeptical of the solder less design, but they seemed to plug in quite firmly. Time will tell I guess. I ended up only having to solder the jack socket because my bass has one of those barrel sockets. No big deal.
No damas whatsoever fitting the actual pickups in my Squier Jag. No modding at all, everything lined up perfectly. The access hole for the bridge Jazz pickup cavity was big enough for the cable plug to pass through into the control cavity. Neck Precision pickup again fitted perfectly, and everything reassembled without a problem also. I couldn't use my original splined knobs because of the solid shaft pots that came with it, but I knew that they wouldn't before I ordered them. I ended up ordering some genuine Fender Jazz bass knobs with the set screw fasteners. And also ordered a genuine Fender 3 hole control plate because the original one on the bass was a 4 hole plate. Stupid fucking bass boost circuit. Why the fuck did they bother putting that crap in? Useless and it sounded like shit :picard:
Now how do they sound? They are Geezer Butler pickups, but I don't have his rig or his fingers so I'm not going to tell you they nail his sound perfectly. They are very quiet, no hum whatsoever. I think they would be great for playing a lot of styles of music, not just the heavy. Very full sounding pickups. They have a nice balance across the sound spectrum though they have a nice lower mid presence. I'm guessing the sound will cut through nicely in a live band mix. I'm not in a band so I can't tell you for sure. The P bass pickup sounds very much like you would expect a vintage P bass pickup to sound. They have a very nice thump. The J bass pickup has that midrange growl that you want from a J pickup. Combined the sound is fantastic all the way up the neck. Great for riffing down on the far end and middle of the neck. Nice growling lead lines up high on the neck. Sound nice through dirt and fuzz pedals. Don't know what else to say but I like them a lot. I would give them a 10 out of 10. The original pickups with the bass boost crap I would of given a 3 out of 10. And that's being generous. But don't take my word for it. Read the reviews. Check the Talk Bass forum. There is a 50+ page thread on them over there. Far more love than hate for them, but you will always get some knockers no matter what.
It is still early days and I'm still setting everything up, but it's close to perfect. I love these pickups. Buy these pickups if you want a vintage bass tone but with a modern punch and noiseless sound quality.
Just so you know I don't work for EMG or Fender.
KaosCill8r

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby echoraven » Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:45 am

Color me also interested. While my Schecter C4XXX has active EMGs and to me they are woody inducing awesome, I have a squire bass that sounds like ass, so it's collecting dust (not really it's in a case).
echoraven

committed
committed

Postby KaosCill8r » Thu Jun 25, 2015 11:09 am

echoraven wrote:Color me also interested. While my Schecter C4XXX has active EMGs and to me they are woody inducing awesome, I have a squire bass that sounds like ass, so it's collecting dust (not really it's in a case).

I say go for it. You can purchase as a lone P bass pickup or as a P/J pickup set. I'd confidently say they would breathe new life into that Squier Bass of yours. It did for mine and mine sounded like total arse.
Was just playing it through my Green Russian Muff clone and it sounded real nice.
KaosCill8r

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby NoLA-Riffft » Fri Jun 26, 2015 1:42 pm

NoLA-Riffft

committed
committed

Previous

Return to ilovedoom.org