BAT Witch Burner: Pros/Cons?

BAT Witch Burner: Pros/Cons?

Postby tashiattack » Tue May 26, 2015 1:00 am

Seems pretty cool, but not much being said on here or other gear forums.

Who has one? Pros, Cons? Mostly want to know how much sustain you can get, whether you can get a "classic rock" or "light break up" sound without getting fuzzy if the gain is dialled lower, and how well it stacks in front of other pedals.
tashiattack

experienced
experienced

Re: BAT Witch Burner: Pros/Cons?

Postby HeavyXIII » Tue May 26, 2015 2:06 am

I'm not in the market to get one, but I am curious what exactly it's supposed to do? Overdrive boost? Borderline fuzz? Is it rooted in a particular circuit?

I THINK Conk picked one up and he likes it, but I still don't know much about it.
Good Deal List: bearbeams, pena_55, sonidero, greyscales, ChetMagongalo, xchristophex, Monkey Boy, krautrocker, osbornkt

D.o.S. wrote:Like, I don't just listen to Whores when I'm sitting alone in my room with the lights off staring at a wall. Sometimes I listen to it with the lights on, too.

Carkoon, my Posty, Doomy, Dadcore band
FACEBOOK | https://www.facebook.com/carkoondoom/
BANDCAMP | https://carkoon.bandcamp.com/releases
HeavyXIII

experienced
experienced

Postby conky » Tue May 26, 2015 7:48 am

Pros: everything

Cons: nothing

Seriously though, it rules. I use mine for a really low gain od and it breaks up nicely. It stacks well with anything I have tried. I use it to give my solos a little more bite and extra sustain and to turn my fuzzed out Pharaoh into a crushing palm muted pinch harmonic squealing motherfucker. Messed around with it on its own some and was nailing Slayer tone when boosting a crunchy amp. It might not work for everyone but it is one of those that I feel everyone should try before they die.
conky

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Chankgeez » Wed May 27, 2015 11:13 pm

Meant to write something on this the other day. As Conky said, it's not for everyone, but, it's a really beautiful sounding pedal. Chances are if you're thinking about a Witch Burner, you're already down with the BAT sonic aesthetic. So, chances are also pretty good that you'll love it. I was a little worried it would sound too close to the Black Forest, but they really sound nothing alike.

You can get mucho sustain out of it. Either on its own or stacked with another dirt pedal.

It definitely does Seventies classic rock very well.

It stacks well too. Sometimes I have to keep the gain on it dialed way down. My guitar's pickups are mircophonic. So, it can make things feedback very easily. It can also be little noisy especially when stacked, but my rig definitely isn't anywhere near being the quietest. So, you may not have any noise problems.

It can get fuzzy when cranked, but I don't usually use it that way. It's not really your typical overdrive or boost either. It imparts a nice, warm sustain to things. I think it uses LED clipping and I'm not sure if it's based on a specific circuit. Mark has great ears. This's another killer BAT pedal.
psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
…...........................…
Sweet dealin's: here
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby conky » Sat May 30, 2015 7:42 am

Recorded a little clip. The amp was at lower volume and the phone mic is still compressing the fuck out. I'll try to do a better one when get my Zoom Q2HD from the space.
conky

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Ancient Astronaught » Sat May 30, 2015 12:40 pm

Holy shit your rig sounds good conk!!! I noticed a lil Windhand in there... ;)
Iommic Pope wrote:Skip, you rule. You hate people so much, you're willing to discredit all human progress, its awesome.
Ancient Astronaught

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby tashiattack » Sat May 30, 2015 12:41 pm

Wow that sounds fucking great!! Thanks for uploading the video dude. Might be exactly what I need to goose my sonic titan clone.

Btw, what amp/guitar are you using?
Last edited by tashiattack on Sat May 30, 2015 12:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
tashiattack

experienced
experienced

Postby t-rey » Sat May 30, 2015 12:47 pm

Damn, the Witch Burner sounds great. That clean toan was all kinds of awesome too - just the right amount of sway from the Ghost Echo.
t-rey

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby conky » Sat May 30, 2015 2:19 pm

Ancient Astronaught wrote:Holy shit your rig sounds good conk!!! I noticed a lil Windhand in there... ;)

Thanks man, that means a lot coming from you. Every video you do always has killer tone. That Windhand riff is fun as hell. The first clean riffs are a variation from first song on "Where the Light Is Mute" by Oxtongue. https://oxtongue.bandcamp.com/releases It is one of the guys that posts on here but I haven't seen him in a long time and can't remember the screen name... nightterrors maybe?. Got a test pressing of the record and fell in love with that dirty clean reverb'd out intro to the first song.

tashiattack wrote:Wow that sounds fucking great!! Thanks for uploading the video dude. Might be exactly what I need to goose my sonic titan clone.

Btw, what amp/guitar are you using?

Thanks. I keep the gain all the way down but the burn knob (middle one) is very interactive with it so you can get a ton of cool sounds out of it. I tried to get some sustained out noted for you but I was standing too close to the amp and they started feeding back instead of sustaining. Plus I just swapped the pickup out so I wasn't that used to it yet but I'll do a better one once I get my Zoom from the space. Its a LP Standard with a Black Winter into a Soldano Hotrod 100+ into an Emperor 4x12 w/ 75 watt Silver Bells.

t-rey wrote:Damn, the Witch Burner sounds great. That clean toan was all kinds of awesome too - just the right amount of sway from the Ghost Echo.

Yeah man, the Ghost Echo is awesome. Kinda wish I had two so I could have one always on really subtle and then one for really deep washes.
conky

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Baxandall » Sat May 30, 2015 4:40 pm

Witch Burner is a highly useful drive/boost/treble boost/OD. I love mine.
Ragged Trousers wrote:
retinal orbita wrote:Shocking that one doesn't need 2000k in boutique pedals to do interesting things anymore....
I saw this picture of Hendrix, all he used was a wah.... And not even the Jim Dunlop Jimi Hedrix wah, just some old thing.....

Jimi didn't realise the horrible tone suck we had to listen to every time he used that wah.
Baxandall

committed
committed

Return to ilovedoom.org