make a fucking album.

make a fucking album.

Postby AxAxSxS » Wed Apr 29, 2015 4:36 pm

I tried starting a thread over in the Recording and tech area, But I dont think It gets much traffic. I needs KNOWLEDGE.

The jist of the convo so far-

AxAxSxS wrote:7 songs in the bag and Tony Reed at the helm and I think this shit is going to sound nifty.

So what do we do now. Vinyl with a dl card is my preferred end state, but I literally have no idea what I'm doing. I'm sure Tony will have some ideas and guidance, but I'd like to be more educated about how the hell you can take some tracks and end up with something people can buy and listen to.

I know there are labels that will basically warehouse your stuff, sell it and they cover the production costs... and keep most of the profit, and I know you can get it produced and own all the copies and distribute (or not) yourself. But I don't know how, who, where, any of the details, the pro's and cons of various approaches.

School me o mighty fuzz lords! WHAT DO!!!!????

backwardsvoyager wrote:https://qrates.com/
potentially a really good solution for this. it's very new so i'm still not too well educated on the specifics but it's very promising.

D.o.S. wrote:The pros of doing it yourself are the normal DIY benefits: you learn how it works, you keep the money in house, you ensure your album is of the highest priority, etc. You should really have someone else master your record for vinyl, though.

have a couple more scattered thoughts, will post later.
Band=InfiniteFlux Flux on Bandcamp
"Ingenuity comes in the face of adversity, and nobody ever becomes a legend by following the rules set by society" -A.A.
Corey Y wrote:it's not obsessive gear hoarding. ;)

Infinite Flux full sets and demo's on youtube
whiskey_face wrote:that girl can fucking hit lemme tell you :love: :lol:

https://infiniteflux.bandcamp.com/
AxAxSxS

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Re: make a fucking album.

Postby D.o.S. » Wed Apr 29, 2015 4:48 pm

One scattered thought: Have you thought about siding for an LP? Like, when side one ends, etc.
good deals are here.
escapecraft is here.
UglyCasanova wrote: It's not the expensive programs you use, it's the way you click and drag.

Achtane wrote:
comesect2.0 wrote:Michael Jackson king tut little Richard in your butt.

IT'S THE ENNNND OF THE WORRRLD AS WE KNOW IT
D.o.S.

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby conky » Wed Apr 29, 2015 8:15 pm

Yeah, sequencing is a big part that I didn't really think about the first time I pressed vinyl. Just make sure the album is pretty even in length on each half and that it will fit in whatever time that you are gonna press. 45 rpm holds a shorter amount of time as 33 rpm. You can usually get 18 - 20 minutes on each side of a 12" at 33 rpm. Your mastering needs to have all of the low end stuff mixed down in mono. If you are getting someone else to master it they can walk you through all of the technical side of it. If you plan on funding the pressing yourselves be prepared to go broke. It will be totally worth it though.
conky

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby AxAxSxS » Fri May 01, 2015 2:26 am

we've talked about it (sequencing) but have not worked out anything yet. basically, aside from decision making, my part in it is done. Getting it mastered by someone who knows what they are doing is going to be well worth it IMO.
We'll have well over 45 minutes of material, I don't have the exact lengths yet, just about how long they normally go.

Right now we are exploring the pros and cons of funding it all ourselves vs going with something like STB. this is where we could really use some help. Obviously we want to have a high quality result, but getting there without overspending or ending up in some sort of deal that sucks is the thing.

any info about the various labels or the places that will press and package a 12' would be rad.
"Ingenuity comes in the face of adversity, and nobody ever becomes a legend by following the rules set by society" -A.A.

AxAxSxS

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby D.o.S. » Fri May 01, 2015 10:24 am

I think you should fund it all yourself, but I'm a wanker like that.
good deals are here.
escapecraft is here.
UglyCasanova wrote: It's not the expensive programs you use, it's the way you click and drag.

Achtane wrote:
comesect2.0 wrote:Michael Jackson king tut little Richard in your butt.

IT'S THE ENNNND OF THE WORRRLD AS WE KNOW IT
D.o.S.

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby AxAxSxS » Fri May 01, 2015 12:10 pm

I'm leaning that way, but this is a group decision and not everyone is as patient as I am.

AxAxSxS

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Iommic Pope » Sun May 03, 2015 6:40 am

D.o.S. wrote:I think you should fund it all yourself, but I'm a wanker like that.

I tend to agree, as I am also a wanker.
But, gotta do what the whole band wants.
WWPD?
fcknoise wrote:You are all fucking tryhard effort posting nerds

Invisible Man wrote:I'm probably the most humble person I know. I feel good about smelling my own butthole.

Jesus Was a Robot wrote:Did you just assume Billy Corgan's dildo preference??
Iommic Pope

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby krlpuretone » Sun May 03, 2015 9:10 pm

Do it yourself. Distribute it through Revolver.

Problems solved. Most labels suck.
krlpuretone

involved
involved

Postby t-rey » Tue May 05, 2015 9:00 pm

I've got exactly nothing constructive to add, but I'm pretty pumped for a Flux album.
t-rey

IAMILF
IAMILF

Return to ilovedoom.org