the WIZARD!!!

the WIZARD!!!

Postby benjuro » Sun Apr 05, 2015 8:17 am

Got to see Electric Wizard this weekend!!!

jus.jpg
jus.jpg (83.3 KiB) Viewed 4508 times

liz.jpg
liz.jpg (62.47 KiB) Viewed 4508 times

Not my pix but you get the idea...they leaned a little on later catalog material but were still heavy as expected and did treat us to some old favorites (Dopethrone, The Chosen Few). Volume was surprisingly reasonable. They didn't play much over an hour though and merch was slim pickins and long lines. Unless you're into girly shirts, blacklight posters or are XXL-XXXL, out of luck.
Pretty weird to have them go on @ 8pm so we could get pushed to the door in plenty of time for the 10pm dance-club eurotrash to come in. If you get the chance on this tour tho, go.
Special low-frequency version.
benjuro

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Re: the WIZARD!!!

Postby skullservant » Sun Apr 05, 2015 8:24 am

I saw them in Baltimore. They played for about an hour and a half and played mostly old stuff. Jus only left the stage twice cause he was pissed. First time was after the first song, apparently the tech tuned one of his strings slightly off and he almost threw his guitar off the stage and came back on and screamed SO MUCH FOR TUNING YOUR FUCKING GUITAR. Then with one song left either one of the batteries died in his pedals or his guitar cable started cutting out and again he fled the stage before 5 techs swarmed his gear to try to figure out what was going on. At the end of the last song he threw himself and his guitar into the Marshall stack he was playing and almost fell over with it before catching it all at the last minute before it would have crashed on the floor.

Overall their set was good. I was expecting a little more volume but I had never been to Baltimore Sound Stage before. The guy at the soundboard made it sound incredibly polished which I wasn't expecting. Was still a good set though, played all the hits.
skullservant

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Chankgeez » Sun Apr 05, 2015 9:03 am

skullservant wrote: The guy at the soundboard made it sound incredibly polished which I wasn't expecting.

I kinda hate when soundpeople impose their own aesthetic upon a band. You'd think Electric Wizard would be touring with their own sound engineer (if, indeed, that guy at the board was a house engineer). If I were in a touring band that could afford it, I'd definitely have my own engineer with us. It makes such a difference. In fact, for certain bands I only like their live sound when certain people are mixing them. :lol:
psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
…...........................…
Sweet dealin's: here
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby benjuro » Sun Apr 05, 2015 9:06 am

I was surprised at how clean Jus' guitar sounded, and definitely would have had both guitars louder in the mix.
benjuro

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Krosis » Sun Apr 05, 2015 1:18 pm

I saw them in NY. The started out really good then I started to lose interest. Probably a combination of the setlist and the uncomfortably hot area I was standing in. Oh well, had a good time with my friend nonetheless. We drove back to NJ blasting Acrimony (never heard them before) and a sludge band from NJ whose name I forget. Good times.
samzadgan wrote:You could come back and Matt Pike actually played classical guitar and studied really hard, didn't drink or smoke, and was now high paid Lawyer who spend most of his free time on TGP talking about how much his Les Paul weighs and how that makes the tone better than a Les Paul that weighs 0.05lb less.

new05002 wrote:I heard it does not work for kids who dont like black sabbath and sleep so there you go.
Krosis

experienced
experienced

Postby new05002 » Sun Apr 05, 2015 7:05 pm

Jus tuned up between everything fucking song in Boston. Haha. My friend and I were like damn, thats amateur hour. Liz and the bassist never tuned once on stage.

the gig volume was pretty low, i had no plugs in and had minimal ringing on the way home.

Riffs were pretty tight but Jus got a bit sloppy on the vocals here and there, mostly timing issues.

PA had the fucking kick way to loud in the mix, took 4 song before it was a bit better. Guitar still never loud enough.
new05002

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby untilshewokeme » Sun Apr 05, 2015 7:23 pm

I'm bummed I missed the Boston show but it was my wife's 30th birthday. Hopefully the next time they come around
untilshewokeme

experienced
experienced

Postby benjuro » Mon Apr 06, 2015 5:27 am

new05002 wrote:Jus tuned up between everything fucking song in Boston. Haha. My friend and I were like damn, thats amateur hour. Liz and the bassist never tuned once on stage.

My buddy and I joked about donating him a pitchblack so he could at least tune without the audience hearing it :lol:
benjuro

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby D.o.S. » Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:08 am

I want to say Monkeydancer saw them years ago and said buckingham played their entire set out of tune.

But I don't know if I would go into a Wizard gig expecting immaculate professionalism
good deals are here.
escapecraft is here.
UglyCasanova wrote: It's not the expensive programs you use, it's the way you click and drag.

Achtane wrote:
comesect2.0 wrote:Michael Jackson king tut little Richard in your butt.

IT'S THE ENNNND OF THE WORRRLD AS WE KNOW IT
D.o.S.

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby odontophobia » Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:54 pm

D.o.S. wrote:But I don't know if I would go into a Wizard gig expecting immaculate professionalism

Everything I read about them leads me to that conclusion.
odontophobia

Supporter
Supporter

Postby coldbrightsunlight » Sun Apr 12, 2015 12:41 pm

D.o.S. wrote:I want to say Monkeydancer saw them years ago and said buckingham played their entire set out of tune.

But I don't know if I would go into a Wizard gig expecting immaculate professionalism

Sorry not me! :lol: Must have been someone else! :idk: I would like to see them though.
füzz lover. Friend. Quilter evangelist.

I make music sometimes:

https://nitrx.bandcamp.com/

https://mediocrisy.bandcamp.com/

https://fleshcouch.bandcamp.com
coldbrightsunlight

Supporter
Supporter

Postby AxAxSxS » Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:15 pm

Saw em last night at neumos in Seattle. About an hour and a half. Definitely didn't sound polished. I don't think they are traveling with their own sound guy. Vocal mic sounded awefull and they really could have used a noise gate or feedback suppression. Was loud. I enjoyed.
Band=InfiniteFlux Flux on Bandcamp
"Ingenuity comes in the face of adversity, and nobody ever becomes a legend by following the rules set by society" -A.A.
Corey Y wrote:it's not obsessive gear hoarding. ;)

Infinite Flux full sets and demo's on youtube
whiskey_face wrote:that girl can fucking hit lemme tell you :love: :lol:

https://infiniteflux.bandcamp.com/
AxAxSxS

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby stonemt » Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:43 pm

stoked to finally get to see them, just sucks now that now my little sisters are asking me if i have ever listened to them before, o well it should be good though
Last edited by stonemt on Wed Apr 15, 2015 2:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
stonemt

interested
interested

Postby Ferglehson » Tue Apr 14, 2015 7:11 pm

Saw them in Salt Lake City on Saturday. A guy crowd surfed on stage and knocked over the mic, Jus popped him right in the face. Good times.
Ferglehson

interested
interested

Return to ilovedoom.org