Pickups for Doom/Stoner?

Re: Pickups for Doom/Stoner?

Postby Kacey Y » Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:56 am

Bareknuckle Warpig is pretty good with keeping punch and clarity through a lot of dirt while downtuned. Personally, I use really clean sounding pickups now and just let the pedals and amp do all the work, but there's not really one tone when it comes to these styles. The guitarist in the last doom metal band I was in used really thick distortion (from an obscure 80's rack unit into a vintage Marshall) and he always used Invaders. Sounded great for his specific sound, but I wouldn't use them for what I like.
Appalachian Queer Punk Moms Local 138
Kacey Y

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Theta » Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:32 am

I know this is probably an unpopular opinion... but in my Ibby Iceman a couple of DiMarzio D activators sounds huge and full, way better than other pickups I've tried so far.
THETA | LOUD NOISE
OFFICIAL FACEBOOK | http://www.facebook.com/thetaloudnoise
OFFICIAL BANDCAMP | http://thetaloudnoise.bandcamp.com
Theta

interested
interested

Postby conky » Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:45 pm

I love the Blk Tri stuff. Got a set of torches in my LP Standard and a set of Frost Giants in my Orville LP Custom. Iput a drone in a 72 Tele Deluxe reissue and it is awesome, too. Lots of clarity and mid focus but still has plenty of girth. All of em are med output and sound great clean or with a shit ton of fuzz. I made this video just after putting the Torches in my LP. You have to overlook the aimless riffing though.

conky

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby maggot » Sun Jul 30, 2017 12:08 am

conky wrote:I love the Blk Tri stuff. Got a set of torches in my LP Standard and a set of Frost Giants in my Orville LP Custom. Iput a drone in a 72 Tele Deluxe reissue and it is awesome, too. Lots of clarity and mid focus but still has plenty of girth. All of em are med output and sound great clean or with a shit ton of fuzz. I made this video just after putting the Torches in my LP. You have to overlook the aimless riffing though.

I like the clarity in those! Lately, I'm too lazy to change pickups. The main guitars I'm playing are a Yamaha Drop 6 with stock Dimarzios (supposedly similar to Steve's Special in the bridge and EVO in the neck) and a Squier Strat with Strat pickups except for a DiMarzio Area 61 in the bridge. I briefly ponder cleaning up the Drop 6 and beefing up the Strat, but haven't done it yet. But those sound like they'd be great in the Drop 6.
maggot

committed
committed

Previous

Return to ilovedoom.org