What humbucker style pickups do you use and why?

Re: What humbucker style pickups do you use and why?

Postby Ancient Astronaught » Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:27 am

conky wrote:I was thinking going with a 250k since there is no tone pot. That should (from what I've been reading) still give me the same if I had a 500 tone and volume pot. Maybe that wont be too bright. That guitar is bright as fuck anyway. Neck through maple, ebony fretboard, and alder wings.

Use a 500k, you'll want that extra brightness with how thick the pickup is. The Monson is Alder / Cherry body and Maple neck which is pretty similar woods to your ESP, and using 500k pots its was just right. Taking the tone pot out of the equation basically is just like leaving it on all the time, or you could just use a 500k pot with a treble bleed mod. I think that would probably be your best bet.
Iommic Pope wrote:Skip, you rule. You hate people so much, you're willing to discredit all human progress, its awesome.
Ancient Astronaught

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby conky » Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:26 pm

:thumb:

Now I just gotta look for a black Friday deal since its so close to thanksgiving.
conky

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby The Mad Titan » Tue Nov 25, 2014 5:27 pm

doommeow wrote:
Awesome to hear about to SK love! I had a T-90 back in day, don't even remember why I got rid of it. :picard:

Yeap, the P90 clone coil I have should be pretty much the same pickup internally as your T90 or one of his S90's. Great sounding pickups for sure. :thumb:
The Mad Titan

committed
committed

Postby fever606 » Tue Dec 02, 2014 11:45 pm

Shoot, I came in here to ask about Alumitones and Railhammers (for the neck position of a Tele Custom) but after listening to these Black Winters... well, I got some thinking to do! <chinscratch>
fever606

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby christianatl » Thu Dec 04, 2014 2:36 am

I use the ones with the single coil.

Because I'm a man.
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Whores/108004672554176
http://whores.bandcamp.com
http://whores.bigcartel.com

WTB: Chase Bliss Tonal Recall, Keeley 30ms Delay, cool fuzzes and hand-painted stuff.
christianatl

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby conky » Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:07 am

christianatl wrote:I use the ones with the single coil.

Because I'm a man.

I prefer humbuckers for dirt tones (single still sounds good), but single coils are the absolute best for cleans.
conky

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby fever606 » Fri Dec 05, 2014 8:17 pm

christianatl wrote:I use the ones with the single coil.

Because I'm a man.

In general I agree with you... hell, evrry guitar I own has singles (Jag, Jag, baritone-JM-in-progress). I'm about to build a Tele, though, and I always liked the Customs/Deluxes so I'm thinking of bringing a neck 'bucker into my life...
fever606

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby frigid midget » Sat Dec 06, 2014 5:04 am

I tried to like humbuckers. I failed.
frigid midget

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby samzadgan » Mon Dec 08, 2014 9:26 am

i like both...i like p90's and good humbuckers...there are a lot of shit ones out there!

i recently got Skip's old Monson guitar which he had installed the Dark Winters in...oh my these pickups are hell worthy! so much power and so much articulation...very impressed by there.

Up until now, my favourite humbuckers were a custom built one with A8 magnets, but these SD's are up there, and for a mass market pickup they are amazing.
AxAxSxS wrote:...if its a loud tube amp.... :doom:

Iommic Pope wrote:Amps first, makeup sex later.
samzadgan

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby whiskey_face » Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:07 am

need a bridge pup for a maple body mohog neck guitar.

kinda wanna just go black winter?

http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/c ... ckervario/

but this fucker is going to make me second guess myself. :mad:

a bass HNGbucker
good deals with Noise. . .guitmatt, magiclawnchair, delaydecay, Fuzz_Pi, nixhex113, theAntihero, Ancient Astronaught, bigchiefbc, jwojtysiak, neonblack, osbornkt

http://www.facebook.com/daughtersofzionaz
whiskey_face

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby maggot » Wed Mar 04, 2015 3:18 pm

These look cool to me. Their humbuckers seem a little cranky on the low end, though. Great for crunch, probably not necessary for doom.
maggot

committed
committed

Postby samzadgan » Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:46 am

maggot wrote:These look cool to me. Their humbuckers seem a little cranky on the low end, though. Great for crunch, probably not necessary for doom.

are these the ones they use on reverend guitars? something about thick humbucker tone on the low strings and clear more single coil sounds on the high strings??

samzadgan

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby maggot » Tue Mar 10, 2015 2:48 pm

I'm giving humbuckers one last shot because I like the fact that, y'know, they buck hum (I like noiseless singles like DiMarzio Areas just fine), I'm very close to going all P-90 all the time in my Gibson-style guitars. I just can't get used to those weird humbuckler mids!
maggot

committed
committed

Postby maggot » Wed Mar 11, 2015 1:13 pm

samzadgan wrote:
maggot wrote:These look cool to me. Their humbuckers seem a little cranky on the low end, though. Great for crunch, probably not necessary for doom.

are these the ones they use on reverend guitars? something about thick humbucker tone on the low strings and clear more single coil sounds on the high strings??

It's supposed to have the rails on the bass side, to be tighter, and the poles on the treble side to be warmer. In the demos, the P-90s and the low-output hums sound pretty good, but the Chisels (the ones that I think they put in the Reverends, and the Bob Balch sigs seem a little cranky and metallic in the low end. Probably great if you want really aggressive crunch, but the cleans sounded a little weird to me. Once again, I haven't played them. I could totally go for those 90s, though.
maggot

committed
committed

Postby samzadgan » Wed Mar 11, 2015 1:39 pm

maggot wrote:I'm giving humbuckers one last shot because I like the fact that, y'know, they buck hum (I like noiseless singles like DiMarzio Areas just fine), I'm very close to going all P-90 all the time in my Gibson-style guitars. I just can't get used to those weird humbuckler mids!

P90's fuckin rule!

i love P90 tone...the hum pisses me off when playing at volume with a band...so usually use humbuckers. But for home use I pretty much only use my P90 guitars...they just have a richer tone and less compressed

samzadgan

IAMILF
IAMILF

PreviousNext

Return to ilovedoom.org