What humbucker style pickups do you use and why?

Re: What humbucker style pickups do you use and why?

Postby samzadgan » Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:57 pm

the P90's in my SG are stock Gibsons...and to be honest, i havent heard any other P90 sound as good...not sure if its the pickup of the whole package just works well together. I dont think i would ever change those pickups no matter how much noise there is...there is something magical about that guitar that i dont want to fuck with!

the other P90 guitar is a Edwards LP...and it has SD P90's...and it sound fine and much less noise than the SG...but those pickups sound tame compared to the Gibsons.
AxAxSxS wrote:...if its a loud tube amp.... :doom:

Iommic Pope wrote:Amps first, makeup sex later.
samzadgan

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby The Mad Titan » Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:01 pm

samzadgan wrote:the P90's in my SG are stock Gibsons...and to be honest, i havent heard any other P90 sound as good...not sure if its the pickup of the whole package just works well together. I dont think i would ever change those pickups no matter how much noise there is...there is something magical about that guitar that i dont want to fuck with!

the other P90 guitar is a Edwards LP...and it has SD P90's...and it sound fine and much less noise than the SG...but those pickups sound tame compared to the Gibsons.

I have to agree. The P90's in my LP Special are just that. My other "P90's" are one of the coils in a custom made pair of Steven Kersting pups I mentioned earlier in the thread. Great pickups, but the ones in the LP just are a little sweeter, and the grind has a hair more bite. Some of that could also be tunings, as the Special with P90's is in E or open D, and the LP Std with the custom pups is in C or C# std.
The Mad Titan

committed
committed

Postby van_muddlestein » Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:56 pm

As far as the GFS stuff goes, the mean 90 is absolutely killer. I don't believe in neck pickups, so all my experience is specifically bridge pup related. Their surf 90 is also pretty spot on to the DeArmond pickup it's trying to sound like. Their dream 90 and dream 180 are pretty solid(former bandmate used one as a neck pickup for a while), and their Big mouth pickup is pretty brutal. My next guitar will probably have a mean 90 in it.

To anyone who loves the sound of p90's but doesn't like the noise, you need filtertron pickups in your life. TV Jones, y'all.
van_muddlestein

committed
committed

Postby nablock » Fri Jun 19, 2015 3:35 pm

TempusEdaxRerum wrote:I'm currently using Lace Nitro Hemis in both my neck and bridge, but I intend to switch over to blk/tri.
Which should be checked out if not mentioned before. Pure doom/black metal pickups. With decent demos of them too.

Wow. Those blk/tri pickups sound like what I've been looking for. I'm assuming he'll make you whatever you want if you email him?
nablock

interested
interested

Postby MEC » Sat Jun 20, 2015 10:16 pm

van_muddlestein wrote:As far as the GFS stuff goes, the mean 90 is absolutely killer.
http://youthministry.bandcamp.com/
http://remainstheband.bandcamp.com/
Achtane wrote:FUZZ ALL DAY MAN FUZZ IS GOD ALL OTHER EFFECTS ARE SHIT
Caesar wrote:Dude, can you get the fuck out of my b/s/t thread with your bullshit.
PumpkinPieces wrote: This isn't America, this is I Love Fuzz.
Mudfuzz wrote:Remember when we were all just a bunch of weirdos that liked fucked up shit and not just a bunch of nerds buying bling to impress each other online?
MEC

HERO
HERO

Postby TempusEdaxRerum » Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:23 pm

nablock wrote:
Wow. Those blk/tri pickups sound like what I've been looking for. I'm assuming he'll make you whatever you want if you email him?

That's correct, whatever combination of pickups and whatever style you're interested in.
TempusEdaxRerum

committed
committed

Postby odontophobia » Thu Jul 09, 2015 12:25 am

MEC wrote:
van_muddlestein wrote:As far as the GFS stuff goes, the mean 90 is absolutely killer.

Finally getting around to having them put in my guitar this time next week. Excited to see how they sound.
odontophobia

Supporter
Supporter

Postby doctorpoopenstein420 » Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:00 am

I went to guitar building school and came back a lawyer blooz dad. Figured tops and Lindy Fralin pickups for me, only, please. I ordered Fralin's pure PAF for the bridge and a Twangmaster split single for the neck of the guitar I built. Holy fucking dicks, I've never heard pickups that sound so musical and perfect. They do EVERYTHING. Legbear and I are on this low output shit, and I've never had more dope tone. The Twangmaster is the jangliest sumbitch on earth, I picked it because it was spankier than a P-90. WTF, I FORGOT, BUT LEGBEAR CAN ATTEST....THEY CAN FUCKING TAME A STOCK HM-2????????? Weirdest shit. Was getting real interested in tele shit, because of that butthole in that whores band or whatever, and this shit slapped me right outta that country music shit real quick. (Although part of what led me to Fralin was their dope ass telecaster pickups)
pelliott wrote:Remember, in doom, you're never fat, you're just heavy
doctorpoopenstein420

committed
committed

Postby samzadgan » Mon Jul 13, 2015 2:30 am

doctorpoopenstein420 wrote:I went to guitar building school and came back a lawyer blooz dad. Figured tops and Lindy Fralin pickups for me, only, please. I ordered Fralin's pure PAF for the bridge and a Twangmaster split single for the neck of the guitar I built. Holy fucking dicks, I've never heard pickups that sound so musical and perfect. They do EVERYTHING. Legbear and I are on this low output shit, and I've never had more dope tone. The Twangmaster is the jangliest sumbitch on earth, I picked it because it was spankier than a P-90. WTF, I FORGOT, BUT LEGBEAR CAN ATTEST....THEY CAN FUCKING TAME A STOCK HM-2????????? Weirdest shit. Was getting real interested in tele shit, because of that butthole in that whores band or whatever, and this shit slapped me right outta that country music shit real quick. (Although part of what led me to Fralin was their dope ass telecaster pickups)

good pickups are good pickups...blooz lawyer or not...its all about how you use them

i have a couple of guitars with low output pickups...and they are my favourite for fuzz...i cant stand hot output pickups and fuzz pedals, they sound like ass to me. But low output or P90 into a fuzz pedal, and instant fuck yeah! (spanky Jazzmaster pickups are also sweet with fuzz, especially the pharaoh)

i do however prefer hot output pickups for distortion...i find hot output into a distorion pedal with the dirt backed off a little gets me the best tone...well best to my ears anyway!

samzadgan

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby odontophobia » Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:37 pm

odontophobia wrote:
MEC wrote:

Finally getting around to having them put in my guitar this time next week. Excited to see how they sound.

Played through the Toronado with the Mean 90s. Absolutely love how they sound. Really crisp. The cleans were pronounced and loud, lots of snap at both neck and bridge. Sounded amazing with fuzz.
odontophobia

Supporter
Supporter

Postby samzadgan » Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:53 pm

i got a set of Bursbucker Pro's in the mail the other day...i'm going to pop them into my Gibiphone Silverburst and see what they are like.

i dont mind the Dirty Heshers, but for a Les Paul tuned to B, I find them to have way to much on the low end and you lose clarity and cut. However, for an aluminium neck jazzmaster they may be perfect!

samzadgan

IAMILF
IAMILF

Previous

Return to ilovedoom.org