Fuzz doom vs. distortion doom

Re: Fuzz doom vs. distortion doom

Postby frigid midget » Sat Mar 21, 2015 5:54 am

maggot wrote:I love the Colorsound tone, but right now I'm looking at pedals with some degree of EQ so it'll work well with all kinds of different setups. Once you're getting your dirt from a pedal or multi-channel you should be able to run a bright clean tone/dark dirt or the opposite if you want. For recording, I want a lot of variety, which would include at least some fuzz. For live, I need a couple of go-to sounds.

Ever tried a Dr Scienist The Elemenets? I used to be all 'boutique smoutque' about anything that's pricey and/or super hyped...

But the doctor really knocked it out of the park with the elements imo. Only reason I flipped mine, other than the need for fresh cash/toys: It was overkill for me. My amp's distortion channel, an FZ-2 and maybe one other simple od pedal, is really all I need at the moment. If the elements came with a second switch, for a user preset, and in the same small enclosure though :love:
frigid midget

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby maggot » Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:04 am

I'm still working on my sound. The Elements looks amazing. I've noticed that one before. My Deluxe Muff works well when my setup is already distorted, and plays well with others. Sounds blah into a clean amp. I need to put my setup through some loud paces with drums before I figure it out. I also need a couple cabinets. One for my Laney and one for the Acoustic 150 my bandmate is gonna let me use.
maggot

committed
committed

Postby The Mad Titan » Sun Mar 22, 2015 12:53 pm

Found another awesome freakin combo the other day. Parametric eq/filter + Boost/Distortion (Systech, Maestro, Empress, Stone Deaf, etc...) into a Rangemaster into a clean amp just starting to crunch up.

Before I packed my Systech Harmonic Energizer up and shipped it to the seller I was feeding it into my new Keeley Java Boost (Mullard Blk Glass Rangemaster clone). I had the Keeley set for mid boost w/both tone and level maxed, the Systech set for some strong boost with a little bit of drive and a fairly small range of extreme lowend boosted. It had amp like response with a nice hint of GE fuzz around the edges. I tried it on the straight up treblebooster setting too, and dug that as well, but the mid boost setting was just thicker and meaner sounding.
The Mad Titan

committed
committed

Postby maggot » Wed Apr 29, 2015 4:07 pm

My current dirt situation is a big frickin' mess because I'm still getting it sorted out. Right now it's a Fuzzolo on a gated setting (great fuzz, doesn't stack well with overdrive or dirty amp. I use it for specific fuzzy songs) into booster into Black Forest Clone (main dirt) into Devi Ever Bit (for solos) into cleanish (but dirty enough to break up when pushed) AOR30, which slaves an Acoustic 150. It's needlessly complicated, but the BF doesn't sound that great into solid state, and the AOR30 preamp rules.

It sounds pretty awesome, but confuses me with its too many options. My main distortion is BF (boosted or not) pushing tubes, but then I have an alternate universe of fuzz as well. The Bit doesn't have much low end, but it reads your mind when you play solos and you can slather it on everything. Fuzzolo has a nice gate and some pleasingly artificial tones. Stacks well with the Bit. On a good day, the boost plus BF plus the amp make that kinda internal-combustion-engine-ish AOR Laney scuzz that sounds really heavy.

If I get a heavy-sounding fuzz, I'll try to go straight into the 150 again, though. My band doesn't really play doom, although some of our songs are well within the doom spectrum. It's more just low-tuned psych & riff rock, combined with Earthless-style wanking. OK, not quite as wankerish as that, but we have wank tendencies for sure.
maggot

committed
committed

Postby Barracuda » Thu Apr 30, 2015 12:01 pm

I'm actually pretty floored by how good the MXR Super Badass distortion is... I finally put it on my board as my main dirt for a bit, after being in denial about how good a $100 MXR dirtbox could be. I use a rat set for low gain to boost it, and it's just great for a sort of fuzzy stoner rock distortion. It has more than enough gain to not need the boost, but I like to stack for different sounds. I'll probably work with that until my DOD/BAT Boneshaker ships.
Barracuda

committed
committed

Postby braaandooon » Thu Apr 30, 2015 12:28 pm

I really want that boneshaker. Really wish BAT would've kept those in house to satisfy my Chinese goods buying phobia.
Biggest Muff --> http://imgur.com/Tif0mdU

braaandooon

experienced
experienced

Postby grindonomicon » Thu Apr 30, 2015 12:53 pm

Barracuda wrote:...
I like to stack for different sounds. I'll probably work with that until my DOD/BAT Boneshaker ships.

braaandooon wrote:I really want that boneshaker.

+1. Plus a 30 day wait after they're first in stock if I want employee disco... Which. Duh.
grindonomicon

experienced
experienced

Postby maggot » Thu Apr 30, 2015 4:43 pm

Barracuda wrote:I'm actually pretty floored by how good the MXR Super Badass distortion is... I finally put it on my board as my main dirt for a bit, after being in denial about how good a $100 MXR dirtbox could be. I use a rat set for low gain to boost it, and it's just great for a sort of fuzzy stoner rock distortion. It has more than enough gain to not need the boost, but I like to stack for different sou.nds. I'll probably work with that until my DOD/BAT Boneshaker ships.

I really liked the Boss Mega Distortion when I borrowed it for a couple of shows, which surprised me given it's orange box and the fact that I hate the DS-1. It sounds a little Boss-like but the EQ sounds so much better than most Boss pedals and the distortion sounds mellower at the same time as it cuts better. It's billed as some kinda hot shit nu metal distortion for today's drop-tuned nonsense, but really it just sounds like what a DS-1 would sound like if it sounded good, so it's very versatile. I like a pedal that gets good palm-mute action and cuts but that doesn't get too many metally squeals on single-note runs.

There are plenty of awesome expensive boxes around, but it's not like people's live or recorded distortion sounds have actually improved in the years since boutique effects have taken over. If we were all using nothing but cheapo effects, we probably wouldn't sound much different. Just don't make me use my Donner stylish fuzz (although the bass player in my band seems perfectly happy with it).
Last edited by maggot on Thu Apr 30, 2015 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
maggot

committed
committed

Postby braaandooon » Thu Apr 30, 2015 5:39 pm

This guy has 3 boneshakers ready to ship it seems.

http://ebay.com/itm/161644691268?nav=SEARCH

braaandooon

experienced
experienced

Postby D.o.S. » Fri May 01, 2015 10:07 am

braaandooon wrote:I really want that boneshaker. Really wish BAT would've kept those in house to satisfy my Chinese goods buying phobia.

A sentiment which you delivered from your phone or computer... neither of which were made in America.

Seems legit.
good deals are here.
escapecraft is here.
UglyCasanova wrote: It's not the expensive programs you use, it's the way you click and drag.

Achtane wrote:
comesect2.0 wrote:Michael Jackson king tut little Richard in your butt.

IT'S THE ENNNND OF THE WORRRLD AS WE KNOW IT
D.o.S.

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby maggot » Fri May 01, 2015 12:41 pm

braaandooon wrote:I really want that boneshaker. Really wish BAT would've kept those in house to satisfy my Chinese goods buying phobia.

Having that much parametric EQ on a small stopmpbox just puts you in a position to make your live sound suck while you think you're doing yourself a huge favor. That said, if I could tweeze the mids on my Black Forest a little more, it would make me happy.
maggot

committed
committed

Postby maggot » Fri May 01, 2015 11:39 pm

I took a chance on one of these. It was cheap and there were multiple demos that sounded badass:

The Jumbo Bender seems like a cool circuit. Rawer and more open then a muff, but more scooped than a 60s Bender.
Attachments
Colour-Jumbo-MODEL_20.gif
Colour-Jumbo-MODEL_20.gif (30.92 KiB) Viewed 6872 times
maggot

committed
committed

Postby braaandooon » Sat May 02, 2015 8:59 am

D.o.S. wrote:

A sentiment which you delivered from your phone or computer... neither of which were made in America.

Seems legit.

Its not about buying just american made items. I actively try my best not to buy items from countries where their citizens can't make a livable wage. Not saying that my lifestye is completely "china" free but I make a conservative effort.

My pc is made in Malaysia by the way, and my phone has Indonesian markings if that matters. My boss tuner is made in taiwan and I'm ok with that because all of those people make a livable wage.

It's safe to say I do not support communism, if that makes me seem like a pompous asshole then so be it.

braaandooon

experienced
experienced

Postby braaandooon » Sat May 02, 2015 10:34 am

maggot wrote:

Having that much parametric EQ on a small stopmpbox just puts you in a position to make your live sound suck while you think you're doing yourself a huge favor. That said, if I could tweeze the mids on my Black Forest a little more, it would make me happy.

For my needs, parametric eq'ing can be a valuable tool. You have to realize I'm playing through an old ampeg jet alot, and getting acquainted with an equally old supro taurus. The only eq'ing options both those amps offer are just a simple tone knob. Maybe I don't need all those knobs, but like you, I love me some mids and having that option would be a godsend.

braaandooon

experienced
experienced

Postby D.o.S. » Sat May 02, 2015 8:17 pm

braaandooon wrote:
D.o.S. wrote:

Seems legit.

Its not about buying just american made items. I actively try my best not to buy items from countries where their citizens can't make a livable wage. Not saying that my lifestye is completely "china" free but I make a conservative effort.

My pc is made in Malaysia by the way, and my phone has Indonesian markings if that matters. My boss tuner is made in taiwan and I'm ok with that because all of those people make a livable wage.

It's safe to say I do not support communism, if that makes me seem like a pompous asshole then so be it.

Not to get super off topic, but supporting a livable wage basically means you're supporting communism.

That's not a road worth driving an American Made Truck™ down on ILF, though.
good deals are here.
escapecraft is here.
UglyCasanova wrote: It's not the expensive programs you use, it's the way you click and drag.

Achtane wrote:
comesect2.0 wrote:Michael Jackson king tut little Richard in your butt.

IT'S THE ENNNND OF THE WORRRLD AS WE KNOW IT
D.o.S.

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

PreviousNext

Return to ilovedoom.org