Fuzz doom vs. distortion doom

Re: Fuzz doom vs. distortion doom

Postby pelliott » Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:31 am

In the case of the Dirty Little Secret or OCD yes absolutely try the Merkin in front of the OD pedal.
pelliott

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby PeteeBee » Sat Jan 24, 2015 1:21 am

Word. That's what I thought. I'm trying it into my sloika distortion, but it really isn't doing what I want. Did discover just a bit ago that if I crank the volume on the pedal it gets way more doom. I guess that makes a lot of sense... just makes it trickier to toggle in and out of, but I don't really plan on toggling in and out of doom.
Iommic Pope wrote:This is the best you've been.
Suffering suits you.

BitchPudding wrote:Let this be written in our history as proof that ILoveFuzz is one tight knit internet family.
PeteeBee

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby misterstomach » Sat Jan 24, 2015 5:08 pm

PeteeBee wrote:haha good point. Why not just more fuzz?

Is the general consensus to put some sort of mild overdrive/tone shaper/treble booster in front of it? Somehow I thought I would want the shaper after the fuzz.

i think the general consensus is more to try your boost on both sides of the fuzz and use your ears to figure out which sounds better. you'll get really different results with different pedals/combinations. i really don't know anything about the merkin fuzz, so my advice would be more general. but i used an ocd in front of my civil war muff to great affect to achieve something similar to what you're talking about. i think an ocd and a tubescreamer are great tools to have around and either one is probably worth a shot. those two are both good "try this first" pedals just to have around when you're looking for a pedal to stack with something else. or a treble booster like a rangemaster clone of some kind in front.
ryan summit wrote:Damn these fuckin bullshit techherpes
misterstomach

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby grindonomicon » Sat Jan 24, 2015 11:06 pm

Don't have a Merkin, but my Fuzzrite clone gets all sorts of DOOM! if I run it into a gnarly & thick overdrive. EQD Monarch and a Marshall Guv'nor II were both good combinations. The Marshall has more low bass, the Monarch at 18v gets kind of octave or ring mod-like sounds with the two.
grindonomicon

experienced
experienced

Postby PeteeBee » Sun Jan 25, 2015 2:18 am

Thanks guys! I have an OCD I can borrow to see if it works. Much experimenting to do.
Iommic Pope wrote:This is the best you've been.
Suffering suits you.

BitchPudding wrote:Let this be written in our history as proof that ILoveFuzz is one tight knit internet family.
PeteeBee

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby van_muddlestein » Wed Jan 28, 2015 2:10 am

I run a CAE 401 clean boost after my fuzz and it not only gets big and beautiful, it can also do palm mutes. I love it. So fucking mean sounding.
van_muddlestein

committed
committed

Postby TempusEdaxRerum » Sat Feb 07, 2015 4:29 pm

I know I'm late to the party, but pure distortion for me.
Preferably amp distortion only, but with what I have now I'm using the Digitech Hardwire TL-2. For the price it's really versatile and amazing.
TempusEdaxRerum

committed
committed

Postby maggot » Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:26 pm

I'm trying to decide right now. I'm used to the flexibility of using pedals for everything, which means I'm one step away from sounding completely different.

But the preamp in my Laney is badass with a boost going into it, and I don't have a perfect box for rhythm right now.
maggot

committed
committed

Postby lefchr » Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:26 am

I like both preferably mixing them when recording. I've been having fun with a swollen pickle into a bad monkey for a particularly nasty sound.
lefchr

committed
committed

Postby KaosCill8r » Wed Mar 04, 2015 4:23 am

Colorsound Overdriver is a DOOM machine. Clean boost to almost fuzz. Too versitile not to have one on the board if you play doom. The EQ alone is worth the price of admission.
KaosCill8r

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Iommic Pope » Wed Mar 04, 2015 4:38 am

Glad that build turned out succesful for you, man!
WWPD?
fcknoise wrote:You are all fucking tryhard effort posting nerds

Invisible Man wrote:I'm probably the most humble person I know. I feel good about smelling my own butthole.

Jesus Was a Robot wrote:Did you just assume Billy Corgan's dildo preference??
Iommic Pope

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby KaosCill8r » Wed Mar 04, 2015 4:43 am

I do a lot of builds. Only in kit form. 99.9% have worked well. I think that is a good ratio.
KaosCill8r

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby samzadgan » Wed Mar 04, 2015 6:58 am

i had a coloursound od clone built for me...i didnt really dig it. I know what you mean about it going from volume boost to fuzz...but it just wasnt voiced right for me. Although...the Black Forrest, which is based on the same thing (i think) sounds amazing.

have you built any Tonebender MKII clones? i have a hankering to try that out in the future.
AxAxSxS wrote:...if its a loud tube amp.... :doom:

Iommic Pope wrote:Amps first, makeup sex later.
samzadgan

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby KaosCill8r » Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:16 am

samzadgan wrote:i had a coloursound od clone built for me...i didnt really dig it. I know what you mean about it going from volume boost to fuzz...but it just wasnt voiced right for me. Although...the Black Forrest, which is based on the same thing (i think) sounds amazing.

have you built any Tonebender MKII clones? i have a hankering to try that out in the future.

I was actually looking at a kit clone Tonebender MKIII last night.
I love the sounds of the Black Forest demos. I built the Colorsound clone because I was chasing the classic early 70s TRex tones and I knew that would put me it the right direction. But it can do so much more than that.
KaosCill8r

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby maggot » Wed Mar 04, 2015 3:04 pm

I love the Colorsound tone, but right now I'm looking at pedals with some degree of EQ so it'll work well with all kinds of different setups. Once you're getting your dirt from a pedal or multi-channel you should be able to run a bright clean tone/dark dirt or the opposite if you want. For recording, I want a lot of variety, which would include at least some fuzz. For live, I need a couple of go-to sounds.
maggot

committed
committed

PreviousNext

Return to ilovedoom.org