· Gen · Guit · · Bldrs · B/S/T ·

Switch to full style
ilovedoom @ ilovefuzz
Post a reply

Fuzz doom vs. distortion doom

Sat Sep 27, 2014 11:48 am

At the risk of sounding blasphemous on a forum known for its fuzz, I was wondering how many of you are using distortion or overdrive to bring teh doomz. Or do you find fuzz to be far and above better (depending on exactly which style of doom you're playing)?

If you're using overdrive/distortion, what's your set up?
Are you relying more on pedal dirt? I find most distortion pedals to be harsh and noisy and I tend to prefer overdrive.
What amps are you using? Tube or solid state?

I'm usually using fuzz, but sometimes find myself wanting a more of a distorted or overdriven sound. Just was wondering what you guys do.

Re: Fuzz doom vs. distortion doom

Sat Sep 27, 2014 11:54 am

I use a Fat Sandwich which is kind of in the middle of fuzz and distortion

Sat Sep 27, 2014 1:02 pm

I like chuggy palm mutes, so I use my Elements a lot and/or boost my Blackstar with a Mastortion (sounds pretty much the same as boosting a dirty amp with a rat). It really depends on what I'm playing though - if it's sloooow and deliberate giant doom riffs, then I tend to use some sort of fuzz (usually a muff), but if I'm riffing away it's usually some sort of distortion.

Sat Sep 27, 2014 1:12 pm

for everything doom I've ever done it's been distortion... amp distortion alone.

Sat Sep 27, 2014 1:16 pm

t-rey wrote:I like chuggy palm mutes, so I use my Elements a lot and/or boost my Blackstar with a Mastortion (sounds pretty much the same as boosting a dirty amp with a rat). It really depends on what I'm playing though - if it's sloooow and deliberate giant doom riffs, then I tend to use some sort of fuzz (usually a muff), but if I'm riffing away it's usually some sort of distortion.

Yeah, I'm all about the chuggy palm mutes. I think I listened to way too much Metallica as a teenager and it's just stayed with me. I think that's why I prefer muffs when it comes to fuzz, you can get a pretty good chug out of those.

Sat Sep 27, 2014 1:17 pm

Yep. I learned how to palm mute just about as soon as I learned how to play guitar. Because of that, I don't really get along with mushy drive pedals or anything low gain.

Sat Sep 27, 2014 1:25 pm

. )\
muff always on at low gain (Pharaoh) into < Distortion (quantum Mystic) or Rat ish (Volt Thrower) > Mad BOOST (Revelation Superbass) >some other shit.

Lately I've been cutting the middle a lot as well and throwing the Naga viper in front of everything at times. Lot's of sometimes subtle variations in tone. The QM in the middle works better for up tempo parts and the VT just slays for slower parts with lots of depth.
Last edited by AxAxSxS on Sat Sep 27, 2014 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Sep 27, 2014 1:26 pm

Palm mute chugs + octave up fuzz on bass sounds pretty gnarl.

Sat Sep 27, 2014 1:42 pm

t-rey wrote:Yep. I learned how to palm mute just about as soon as I learned how to play guitar. Because of that, I don't really get along with mushy drive pedals or anything low gain.

ditto

Sat Sep 27, 2014 4:15 pm

I have a Demon King (OCD) and a Rat Tail right now. I used to slam the Demon King into the Pharaoh but I'm back to the Rat.

It's a flavor of the week for right now. Plus I don't really play Doom. I might slow it way down sometimes but I'm never full on Doom for a song or anything so I need to do a lot with a little.

Sat Sep 27, 2014 11:50 pm

ShaolinLambKiller wrote:
t-rey wrote:Yep. I learned how to palm mute just about as soon as I learned how to play guitar. Because of that, I don't really get along with mushy drive pedals or anything low gain.

ditto

People play guitar without palm mutes?

Sun Sep 28, 2014 2:52 am

They shouldnt lol

Sun Sep 28, 2014 10:39 am

those who don't palm mute do not play in my book.

Sun Sep 28, 2014 12:50 pm

Barracuda wrote:
ShaolinLambKiller wrote:

ditto

People play guitar without palm mutes?

:lol:

I think I phrased that badly - I should have said that I became hopelessly reliant on chuggy palm mutes as part of my playing style.

Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:40 am

i tend to lean towards amp distortion for doom. but it really depends on the riffing for me i guess. fuzz pedals for heavy riffs rule. but hi gain amps also kick ass too.

this question is too hard to answer.
Post a reply