Fuzz doom vs. distortion doom

Re: Fuzz doom vs. distortion doom

Postby Iommic Pope » Sun May 03, 2015 6:38 am

:lol: :lol: :lol:
WWPD?
fcknoise wrote:You are all fucking tryhard effort posting nerds

Invisible Man wrote:I'm probably the most humble person I know. I feel good about smelling my own butthole.

Jesus Was a Robot wrote:Did you just assume Billy Corgan's dildo preference??
Iommic Pope

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby braaandooon » Sun May 03, 2015 8:46 am

D.o.S. wrote:
braaandooon wrote:
D.o.S. wrote:
braaandooon wrote:I really want that boneshaker. Really wish BAT would've kept those in house to satisfy my Chinese goods buying phobia.

A sentiment which you delivered from your phone or computer... neither of which were made in America.

Seems legit.

Its not about buying just american made items. I actively try my best not to buy items from countries where their citizens can't make a livable wage. Not saying that my lifestye is completely "china" free but I make a conservative effort.

My pc is made in Malaysia by the way, and my phone has Indonesian markings if that matters. My boss tuner is made in taiwan and I'm ok with that because all of those people make a livable wage.

It's safe to say I do not support communism, if that makes me seem like a pompous asshole then so be it.

Not to get super off topic, but supporting a livable wage basically means you're supporting communism.

That's not a road worth driving an American Made Truck™ down on ILF, though.

Not sure how far the tunnel goes to prove that theory, but you're right, going to keep politics off of my favorite online watering hole. Nothing positive ever comes out of these discussions as everyone is entitled to their own reasoning and beliefs.

Boneshaker seems like a great pedal, just not for me. I'll be sticking with my ratty old dirt boxes.
Biggest Muff --> http://imgur.com/Tif0mdU

braaandooon

experienced
experienced

Postby stoneapart » Thu May 28, 2015 1:15 am

Just found this thread, found it interesting and boy has it gotten off topic many a times :lol: the original question asked tube or solidstate and honestly whichever you have will do the job. tube definitely has a better sound overall for doom but solidstate will work just fine. when i first started playing sludge/doom i used 2 Sunn silverface Concert Basses and an Acoustic 370. into the Sunns i ran an old Boss OS2 which surprisingly sounded like a cranked Sunn tube amp, killer tone. Into the Acoustic i ran several pedals ranging from the old green Sovtek muffs to Meatheads to Fuzzfaces to Tonebender style pedals, i tried pretty much everything. When i decided to upgrade my amps i went and got a Sovtek 100h and a Sovtek 100b. Into the 100h i went with the Jam Pedals Red Muck and into the 100b the Sovtek muff. and again, i tried just about every kind of fuzz pedal out there for both amps...it was silly the amount of pedals i bought and sold over a 4 year period :idk: myself, i'm a fuzz guy, distortion sounds to harsh to my ears for doom but thats just me, that OS2 was an overdrive/distortion pedal and that worked great for me at that time so it's definitely going to be a process but just go with what sounds doom to you. Currently running an old Ampeg V4, a silverface Fender Bassman 100 and a Sunn Beta Bass. For the Beta...amp distortion, no other way to go with those betas (Goatsnake anyone?! :drool: ) The V4 generally just gets cranked but sometimes i'll toss my Bluebeard into it but i like to keep that amp effect free. The Bassman is in pedal rotation at all times...either the Bluebeard (almost on all of the time), the Eldritch Electronics Kraken as well as the Eldritch Electronics Old One, when the Eldritch's are on i generally stack the Old One with the Kraken infront of it for some serious low end rumble. again, it's up to your ears, and i know that has been stated on this thread many times but it really is the truth. good luck on your quest man, i've been on my doom tone quest for almost 14 years now and am still on the look out for that perfect fuzz (to complement my Bluebeard). it seems to be a never ending battle but fuck it man, there's nothing better than plugging in a brand new fuzz pedal, slamming the front of that tube amp and throwing down some serious fuckin' riffs!!!! :thumb:
stoneapart

committed
committed

Postby samzadgan » Wed Jun 17, 2015 2:23 am

Barracuda wrote:I'm actually pretty floored by how good the MXR Super Badass distortion is... I finally put it on my board as my main dirt for a bit, after being in denial about how good a $100 MXR dirtbox could be. I use a rat set for low gain to boost it, and it's just great for a sort of fuzzy stoner rock distortion. It has more than enough gain to not need the boost, but I like to stack for different sounds. I'll probably work with that until my DOD/BAT Boneshaker ships.

yeah...the MXR is awesome...had it for a while and sold it to reduce my pedal collection...but it only lost to the Quantum Mystic...which to be fair has not left my board for 2 years.

The other pedal i want to check out is the Boss DF2...i have no need for the feedbacker...but have you guys heard the gain on that thing? it sounds massive and thick...i think its a bit of an unknown gem!
AxAxSxS wrote:...if its a loud tube amp.... :doom:

Iommic Pope wrote:Amps first, makeup sex later.
samzadgan

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby tashiattack » Thu Oct 22, 2015 3:51 pm

samzadgan wrote:
Barracuda wrote:I'm actually pretty floored by how good the MXR Super Badass distortion is... I finally put it on my board as my main dirt for a bit, after being in denial about how good a $100 MXR dirtbox could be. I use a rat set for low gain to boost it, and it's just great for a sort of fuzzy stoner rock distortion. It has more than enough gain to not need the boost, but I like to stack for different sounds. I'll probably work with that until my DOD/BAT Boneshaker ships.

Sorry to bump an old thread,

but did you find a lot of overlap between the SBAD and the Mystic? I recently got the SBAD, and I'm pleasantly surprised, but I've always wanted to try the Mystic.
tashiattack

experienced
experienced

Postby samzadgan » Thu Oct 22, 2015 6:31 pm

tashiattack wrote:
samzadgan wrote:

Sorry to bump an old thread,

but did you find a lot of overlap between the SBAD and the Mystic? I recently got the SBAD, and I'm pleasantly surprised, but I've always wanted to try the Mystic.

there wasnt much overlap, but the Mystic can do SBAD tones...and SBAD cant do Mystic. Mystic has more lows and can get real nasty, and has its own voice, whereas SBAD had a more traditional distortion tone. I remember thinking the Mystic sounded fuller...but its been a while since I played it.

Just buy the mystic second hand, and if you dont like it, flip it...

AxAxSxS wrote:...if its a loud tube amp.... :doom:

Iommic Pope wrote:Amps first, makeup sex later.
samzadgan

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby HeavyXIII » Fri Oct 23, 2015 11:53 am

braaandooon wrote:
maggot wrote:
braaandooon wrote:I really want that boneshaker. Really wish BAT would've kept those in house to satisfy my Chinese goods buying phobia.

Having that much parametric EQ on a small stopmpbox just puts you in a position to make your live sound suck while you think you're doing yourself a huge favor. That said, if I could tweeze the mids on my Black Forest a little more, it would make me happy.

For my needs, parametric eq'ing can be a valuable tool. You have to realize I'm playing through an old ampeg jet alot, and getting acquainted with an equally old supro taurus. The only eq'ing options both those amps offer are just a simple tone knob. Maybe I don't need all those knobs, but like you, I love me some mids and having that option would be a godsend.

Since it's been a while since this was posted I might weigh in. Initially I explained that I couldn't get decent palm mutes with the boneshaker, well, I figured out why. The bass parametric control has a wider sweep than I expected. Basically I was using it to cut the lowest lows a little bit, but it wasn't compensating the lows that guitars use at all. So my palm mutes sounded weak. When I set it to a much higher frequency of bass response and boosted it a tad, all the palm mutes came back. It really is an unforgiving beast, and the whole experience is telling for bass, since that control goes so low.

With careful tweaking, I was able to match my OCD pretty closely, although the Boneshaker didn't sound quite as wild or compressed. I'm just one of those simple guys though, so it seems like a waste to use the EQ to match a pedal which does what I want without one. It's a great pedal, I just wish I needed it.
Good Deal List: bearbeams, pena_55, sonidero, greyscales, ChetMagongalo, xchristophex, Monkey Boy, krautrocker, osbornkt

D.o.S. wrote:Like, I don't just listen to Whores when I'm sitting alone in my room with the lights off staring at a wall. Sometimes I listen to it with the lights on, too.

Carkoon, my Posty, Doomy, Dadcore band
FACEBOOK | https://www.facebook.com/carkoondoom/
BANDCAMP | https://carkoon.bandcamp.com/releases
HeavyXIII

experienced
experienced

Previous

Return to ilovedoom.org