Fuzz doom vs. distortion doom



Fuzz doom vs. distortion doom

Postby Krosis » Sat Sep 27, 2014 11:48 am

At the risk of sounding blasphemous on a forum known for its fuzz, I was wondering how many of you are using distortion or overdrive to bring teh doomz. Or do you find fuzz to be far and above better (depending on exactly which style of doom you're playing)?

If you're using overdrive/distortion, what's your set up?
Are you relying more on pedal dirt? I find most distortion pedals to be harsh and noisy and I tend to prefer overdrive.
What amps are you using? Tube or solid state?

I'm usually using fuzz, but sometimes find myself wanting a more of a distorted or overdriven sound. Just was wondering what you guys do.
samzadgan wrote:You could come back and Matt Pike actually played classical guitar and studied really hard, didn't drink or smoke, and was now high paid Lawyer who spend most of his free time on TGP talking about how much his Les Paul weighs and how that makes the tone better than a Les Paul that weighs 0.05lb less.


new05002 wrote:I heard it does not work for kids who dont like black sabbath and sleep so there you go.
Krosis

User avatar
experienced
experienced
 
Posts: 815
Joined: Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:57 pm
Location: NJ, USA

Re: Fuzz doom vs. distortion doom

Postby skullservant » Sat Sep 27, 2014 11:54 am

I use a Fat Sandwich which is kind of in the middle of fuzz and distortion
DIRGE ELECTRONICS.
90+ good dealings: HERE

cobascis wrote:pre-wedding dirge is vintage dirge

spacelordmother wrote: ILF DIRGE KVLT
skullservant

User avatar
IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS
 
Posts: 16476
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:55 am
Location: BALTIMORE

Re: Fuzz doom vs. distortion doom

Postby t-rey » Sat Sep 27, 2014 1:02 pm

I like chuggy palm mutes, so I use my Elements a lot and/or boost my Blackstar with a Mastortion (sounds pretty much the same as boosting a dirty amp with a rat). It really depends on what I'm playing though - if it's sloooow and deliberate giant doom riffs, then I tend to use some sort of fuzz (usually a muff), but if I'm riffing away it's usually some sort of distortion.
t-rey

User avatar
IAMILF
IAMILF
 
Posts: 2832
Joined: Wed May 05, 2010 10:55 am
Location: Wilmington, NC

Re: Fuzz doom vs. distortion doom

Postby ShaolinLambKiller » Sat Sep 27, 2014 1:12 pm

for everything doom I've ever done it's been distortion... amp distortion alone.
I like to keep myself busy:
My loud heavy boxes:
www.facebook.com/MaulerCustomCabs

a ton of my music
http://speedritualrecords.storenvy.com/

and a ton of my ugly art
http://www.cavepaints.com/
ShaolinLambKiller

User avatar
IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS
 
Posts: 3736
Joined: Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:41 pm
Location: The South

Re: Fuzz doom vs. distortion doom

Postby Krosis » Sat Sep 27, 2014 1:16 pm

t-rey wrote:I like chuggy palm mutes, so I use my Elements a lot and/or boost my Blackstar with a Mastortion (sounds pretty much the same as boosting a dirty amp with a rat). It really depends on what I'm playing though - if it's sloooow and deliberate giant doom riffs, then I tend to use some sort of fuzz (usually a muff), but if I'm riffing away it's usually some sort of distortion.


Yeah, I'm all about the chuggy palm mutes. I think I listened to way too much Metallica as a teenager and it's just stayed with me. I think that's why I prefer muffs when it comes to fuzz, you can get a pretty good chug out of those.
samzadgan wrote:You could come back and Matt Pike actually played classical guitar and studied really hard, didn't drink or smoke, and was now high paid Lawyer who spend most of his free time on TGP talking about how much his Les Paul weighs and how that makes the tone better than a Les Paul that weighs 0.05lb less.


new05002 wrote:I heard it does not work for kids who dont like black sabbath and sleep so there you go.
Krosis

User avatar
experienced
experienced
 
Posts: 815
Joined: Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:57 pm
Location: NJ, USA

Re: Fuzz doom vs. distortion doom

Postby t-rey » Sat Sep 27, 2014 1:17 pm

Yep. I learned how to palm mute just about as soon as I learned how to play guitar. Because of that, I don't really get along with mushy drive pedals or anything low gain.
t-rey

User avatar
IAMILF
IAMILF
 
Posts: 2832
Joined: Wed May 05, 2010 10:55 am
Location: Wilmington, NC

Re: Fuzz doom vs. distortion doom

Postby AxAxSxS » Sat Sep 27, 2014 1:25 pm

. )\
muff always on at low gain (Pharaoh) into < Distortion (quantum Mystic) or Rat ish (Volt Thrower) > Mad BOOST (Revelation Superbass) >some other shit.


Lately I've been cutting the middle a lot as well and throwing the Naga viper in front of everything at times. Lot's of sometimes subtle variations in tone. The QM in the middle works better for up tempo parts and the VT just slays for slower parts with lots of depth.
Last edited by AxAxSxS on Sat Sep 27, 2014 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Band=InfiniteFlux Flux on Bandcamp
"Ingenuity comes in the face of adversity, and nobody ever becomes a legend by following the rules set by society" -A.A.
Corey Y wrote:it's not obsessive gear hoarding. ;)

Infinite Flux full sets and demo's on youtube
whiskey_face wrote:that girl can fucking hit lemme tell you :love: :lol:

https://infiniteflux.bandcamp.com/
AxAxSxS

User avatar
IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS
 
Posts: 4833
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:57 pm

Re: Fuzz doom vs. distortion doom

Postby neonblack » Sat Sep 27, 2014 1:26 pm

Palm mute chugs + octave up fuzz on bass sounds pretty gnarl.
neonblack

User avatar
IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS
 
Posts: 7733
Joined: Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:00 am
Location: Wilmington, NC

Re: Fuzz doom vs. distortion doom

Postby ShaolinLambKiller » Sat Sep 27, 2014 1:42 pm

t-rey wrote:Yep. I learned how to palm mute just about as soon as I learned how to play guitar. Because of that, I don't really get along with mushy drive pedals or anything low gain.


ditto
I like to keep myself busy:
My loud heavy boxes:
www.facebook.com/MaulerCustomCabs

a ton of my music
http://speedritualrecords.storenvy.com/

and a ton of my ugly art
http://www.cavepaints.com/
ShaolinLambKiller

User avatar
IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS
 
Posts: 3736
Joined: Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:41 pm
Location: The South

Re: Fuzz doom vs. distortion doom

Postby odontophobia » Sat Sep 27, 2014 4:15 pm

I have a Demon King (OCD) and a Rat Tail right now. I used to slam the Demon King into the Pharaoh but I'm back to the Rat.

It's a flavor of the week for right now. Plus I don't really play Doom. I might slow it way down sometimes but I'm never full on Doom for a song or anything so I need to do a lot with a little.
theavondon wrote:BUY IT, GIVE A SHIT LATER
odontophobia

User avatar
Supporter
Supporter
 
Posts: 4890
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:09 pm
Location: michigan

Re: Fuzz doom vs. distortion doom

Postby Barracuda » Sat Sep 27, 2014 11:50 pm

ShaolinLambKiller wrote:
t-rey wrote:Yep. I learned how to palm mute just about as soon as I learned how to play guitar. Because of that, I don't really get along with mushy drive pedals or anything low gain.


ditto

People play guitar without palm mutes?
Barracuda

User avatar
committed
committed
 
Posts: 469
Joined: Sun Nov 24, 2013 12:53 pm
Location: Ann Arbor, MI

Re: Fuzz doom vs. distortion doom

Postby theAntihero » Sun Sep 28, 2014 2:52 am

They shouldnt lol
Great trades with : Officer Bukowski, Bklingman, Jero, Jrmy,ethanxcampos, whiskey_face, doctorpoopenstein420, terminator
theAntihero

experienced
experienced
 
Posts: 918
Joined: Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:05 pm
Location: North Idaho

Re: Fuzz doom vs. distortion doom

Postby ShaolinLambKiller » Sun Sep 28, 2014 10:39 am

those who don't palm mute do not play in my book.
I like to keep myself busy:
My loud heavy boxes:
www.facebook.com/MaulerCustomCabs

a ton of my music
http://speedritualrecords.storenvy.com/

and a ton of my ugly art
http://www.cavepaints.com/
ShaolinLambKiller

User avatar
IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS
 
Posts: 3736
Joined: Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:41 pm
Location: The South

Re: Fuzz doom vs. distortion doom

Postby t-rey » Sun Sep 28, 2014 12:50 pm

Barracuda wrote:
ShaolinLambKiller wrote:
t-rey wrote:Yep. I learned how to palm mute just about as soon as I learned how to play guitar. Because of that, I don't really get along with mushy drive pedals or anything low gain.


ditto

People play guitar without palm mutes?


:lol:

I think I phrased that badly - I should have said that I became hopelessly reliant on chuggy palm mutes as part of my playing style.
t-rey

User avatar
IAMILF
IAMILF
 
Posts: 2832
Joined: Wed May 05, 2010 10:55 am
Location: Wilmington, NC

Re: Fuzz doom vs. distortion doom

Postby Vuvuzela » Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:40 am

i tend to lean towards amp distortion for doom. but it really depends on the riffing for me i guess. fuzz pedals for heavy riffs rule. but hi gain amps also kick ass too.

this question is too hard to answer.
Vuvuzela

committed
committed
 
Posts: 156
Joined: Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:28 am
Location: Chicago, IL

Next

Return to ilovedoom.org



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


Sponsored Ad. (Please no inflated/repetitive clicking. Thanks!)

Advertisements help support ILF


ilovefuzz.com is not responsible for user-submitted content. Users participate at their own discretion and risk.