Laney AOR Bros: How do you set your amps?

Re: Laney AOR Bros: How do you set your amps?

Postby willypilgrim » Tue Jun 09, 2015 11:25 am

HeavyXIII wrote:My 100W was modded when I bought it. Aside from maybe altering the cap values for the push-pull pots or getting better tube sockets, I don't know why you would. Even then, the sockets are only worth it if you have issues keeping your tubes seated.

I definitely am having tube seating issues. V3 I think. I realized it when i was swapping in different preamp tubes a month or two after i got the aor. If i swapped this mesa boogie tube out of v3, the amp made no noise. Upon putting the mesa back in, the amp works. Any other combination of tube swaps and it was fine. Now, the mesa wiggles itself out of position from the low freq vibrations, at which point it squeeled horribly and i stopped playing the amp.

How hard is the socket replacement? I've done plenty of soldering work but never actually taken apart an amp I owned.
willypilgrim

uncommitted
uncommitted

Postby ShaolinLambKiller » Tue Jun 09, 2015 1:06 pm

i've done plenty of soldering work and I would still take it to a tech. Rather have someone else to blame than yourself for fucking up.
I like to keep myself busy:
My loud heavy boxes:
www.facebook.com/MaulerCustomCabs

a ton of my music
http://speedritualrecords.storenvy.com/

and a ton of my ugly art
http://www.cavepaints.com/
ShaolinLambKiller

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby NoLA-Riffft » Sat Jun 13, 2015 12:22 pm

Last edited by NoLA-Riffft on Sun Dec 08, 2019 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NoLA-Riffft

committed
committed

Postby willypilgrim » Sat Jun 13, 2015 2:33 pm

The aluminum spring cover things? it already has those, doesn't prevent the problem. It's loose enough that wiggling it side to side makes it work or not work. Playing at jam levels produces too much bass for it to stay seated right now and it wiggles loose and then makes a horrible squeel.

I dropped it (and unfortunately, my new bassman that dummy on reverb didn't pull the tubes on before shipping) off at a tech to get tuned up.
willypilgrim

uncommitted
uncommitted

Postby NoLA-Riffft » Sat Jun 13, 2015 2:47 pm

Last edited by NoLA-Riffft on Sun Dec 08, 2019 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NoLA-Riffft

committed
committed

Postby Errant Tiger » Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:34 am

Bumping this thread & also shifting topics slightly because it seems like the Laney folks are all here already... I've got the 30w combo and am wondering if it is theoretically possible to build a footswitch that will activate the pulls on the EQ knobs. If not, can someone explain why not in terms a dummy would understand? Thanks!
Errant Tiger

experienced
experienced

Postby Iommic Pope » Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:17 pm

I think in order to activate the values on the pull pots you physically need to pull the pots. The other alternative would, I think, be to route the values differently/separately and have them popped by foot switch, but you're essentially building a second channel then, which may be possible with way too much effort.
Plus it's a 30w, so maybe not worth the hassle?
If it was 100w and you were gigging with it, I could see the point, although an EQ with a boost function would probably do the same thing with way less dick around.
Sorry, I wasn't trying to be a dick and burst your bubble.
WWPD?
fcknoise wrote:You are all fucking tryhard effort posting nerds

Invisible Man wrote:I'm probably the most humble person I know. I feel good about smelling my own butthole.

Jesus Was a Robot wrote:Did you just assume Billy Corgan's dildo preference??
Iommic Pope

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby dub » Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:44 pm

The pot is just a switch, so its certainly doable.

I heard the bass boost alters the bias though, flicking it on and off in anger might stress your tubes a bit.
MATAMPS & TRASHED GUITARS
trades: Eric!, johndammit, Holy Schnikes, TheDandy, chatmatt, skullservant, intothegroove, Boxbie, bob the r0bot, sergiomunoz74, Laowiz, DannDubbleEwe, coldbrightsunlight
dub

committed
committed

Postby Errant Tiger » Tue Jul 07, 2015 10:12 am

Thanks guys! Just an idle fancy, no big deal. Taking it into an amp guy soon to get the reverb fixed up, so I'll ask, but all in all is probably not worth it.
Errant Tiger

experienced
experienced

Previous

Return to ilovedoom.org