100+ Watts on the Cheap (Another Amp Help Thread)

100+ Watts on the Cheap (Another Amp Help Thread)

Postby archlilim » Wed May 21, 2014 2:34 am

Hey doomers, so my AD30 isn't cutting after joining a sludge trio (converted from drop D stoner/psych stuff) so I'm searching for something more in the 100 watt range before we start gigging. My budget is limited, probably $800-1000 at the most. I get all my dirt from pedals, so not super invested in the gain side of things. Just need something loud, heavy, and sorta dynamic (little sick of the AD30's squashed sound tbh). Was thinking about looking for some old Sunn solid state stuff--Beta or Concert Lead? Anyway, figured I'd check with you guys before getting myself into trouble :hello:
Last edited by archlilim on Wed May 21, 2014 3:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
archlilim

experienced
experienced

Re: 100+ Watts on the Cheap (Another Amp Help Thread)

Postby AxAxSxS » Wed May 21, 2014 3:27 am

I just bought a peavey butcher for $240. they dont always turn up but if you keep your nose to the ground, deals are out there. Any tube amp that has sufficient power to stay fairly clean at gig volume will work awesome. Throw your fuzz of choice in front for the heavy.
Carvins, randalls, really any off brand that has 4 tubes in the power section and you should be good.

At the high end of what you are talking about, I got a verellen a while back for a grand. If you can find that, jump on it.
Band=InfiniteFlux Flux on Bandcamp
"Ingenuity comes in the face of adversity, and nobody ever becomes a legend by following the rules set by society" -A.A.
Corey Y wrote:it's not obsessive gear hoarding. ;)

Infinite Flux full sets and demo's on youtube
whiskey_face wrote:that girl can fucking hit lemme tell you :love: :lol:

https://infiniteflux.bandcamp.com/
AxAxSxS

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Nostradoomus » Wed May 21, 2014 4:50 am

That's a solid budget for a good head dude. Anything 100 Watts and non-master volume should be rad. Ampeg V4 would be my choice at that price. Could probably score a Sound City too.
ethan/big69 on HCFX
Nostradoomus

committed
committed

Postby D.o.S. » Wed May 21, 2014 9:36 am

If you're already getting all your dirt from pedals just get a carvin or something.
good deals are here.
escapecraft is here.
UglyCasanova wrote: It's not the expensive programs you use, it's the way you click and drag.

Achtane wrote:
comesect2.0 wrote:Michael Jackson king tut little Richard in your butt.

IT'S THE ENNNND OF THE WORRRLD AS WE KNOW IT
D.o.S.

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Kacey Y » Wed May 21, 2014 11:09 am

There's A LOT of good amps out there for under a grand. For under $500 (well under some of the time, used obviously) you can get a Peavey Butcher or VTM120, Carvin X100B, Laney AOR 100. I've owned the Laney twice and still have a VTM120 and Carvin. I use a Carvin X100B on the "rhythm" channel (non master volume clean channel) with pedals for almost all of the guitar tracks on my soundcloud demos.

https://soundcloud.com/corey-y/sets

Even a lot of good vintage amps can be had for under a grand, with the right deal. Sometimes they require a retubing or even new caps. You could probably get good non master volume tube head like a Sound City 120 or a Traynor YBA-1, 1A or 3 for within that budget, either already recapped or including one after buying for a lower price. I sold my B120 for I think $750 (price fluctuates depending on who's selling and the condition though) and bought my YBA-1 for $350 plus shipping and had to have it recapped and serviced. I've seen the Traynors go for up to $500 or more and the Sound Cities go for less or more.
Appalachian Queer Punk Moms Local 138
Kacey Y

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby LOCOPELAND » Wed May 21, 2014 11:55 am

There's excellent deals in the Bay Area for gear for less than a grand. Check out CL & Starving Musician.
:ilw:

nightterrors wrote:Except fuzz, fuzz all the time.
LOCOPELAND

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby archlilim » Wed May 21, 2014 1:31 pm

Corey Y wrote:There's A LOT of good amps out there for under a grand. For under $500 (well under some of the time, used obviously) you can get a Peavey Butcher or VTM120, Carvin X100B, Laney AOR 100. I've owned the Laney twice and still have a VTM120 and Carvin. I use a Carvin X100B on the "rhythm" channel (non master volume clean channel) with pedals for almost all of the guitar tracks on my soundcloud demos.

https://soundcloud.com/corey-y/sets

Even a lot of good vintage amps can be had for under a grand, with the right deal. Sometimes they require a retubing or even new caps. You could probably get good non master volume tube head like a Sound City 120 or a Traynor YBA-1, 1A or 3 for within that budget, either already recapped or including one after buying for a lower price. I sold my B120 for I think $750 (price fluctuates depending on who's selling and the condition though) and bought my YBA-1 for $350 plus shipping and had to have it recapped and serviced. I've seen the Traynors go for up to $500 or more and the Sound Cities go for less or more.

This helps a lot :thumb:

LOCOPELAND wrote:There's excellent deals in the Bay Area for gear for less than a grand. Check out CL & Starving Musician.

Also I found this on clist: http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/msg/4478604941.html
archlilim

experienced
experienced

Postby whiskey_face » Wed May 21, 2014 2:09 pm

red knob = ehhhhhhhhh

for 1k snag 2 v4s and get ready to punish your bandmates with perfect tone at 100000000 dbs
good deals with Noise. . .guitmatt, magiclawnchair, delaydecay, Fuzz_Pi, nixhex113, theAntihero, Ancient Astronaught, bigchiefbc, jwojtysiak, neonblack, osbornkt

http://www.facebook.com/daughtersofzionaz
whiskey_face

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby HeavyXIII » Wed May 21, 2014 2:28 pm

More speakers is always a plus.
Good Deal List: bearbeams, pena_55, sonidero, greyscales, ChetMagongalo, xchristophex, Monkey Boy, krautrocker, osbornkt

D.o.S. wrote:Like, I don't just listen to Whores when I'm sitting alone in my room with the lights off staring at a wall. Sometimes I listen to it with the lights on, too.

Carkoon, my Posty, Doomy, Dadcore band
FACEBOOK | https://www.facebook.com/carkoondoom/
BANDCAMP | https://carkoon.bandcamp.com/releases
HeavyXIII

experienced
experienced

Postby Ancient Astronaught » Wed May 21, 2014 2:34 pm

:idk:
Iommic Pope wrote:Skip, you rule. You hate people so much, you're willing to discredit all human progress, its awesome.
Ancient Astronaught

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Krosis » Wed May 21, 2014 2:58 pm

No
samzadgan wrote:You could come back and Matt Pike actually played classical guitar and studied really hard, didn't drink or smoke, and was now high paid Lawyer who spend most of his free time on TGP talking about how much his Les Paul weighs and how that makes the tone better than a Les Paul that weighs 0.05lb less.

new05002 wrote:I heard it does not work for kids who dont like black sabbath and sleep so there you go.
Krosis

experienced
experienced

Postby D.o.S. » Wed May 21, 2014 3:10 pm

Whatever happened to Bossk?

Do you think he got that Sunn inspired Preamp?
good deals are here.
escapecraft is here.
UglyCasanova wrote: It's not the expensive programs you use, it's the way you click and drag.

Achtane wrote:
comesect2.0 wrote:Michael Jackson king tut little Richard in your butt.

IT'S THE ENNNND OF THE WORRRLD AS WE KNOW IT
D.o.S.

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby archlilim » Wed May 21, 2014 3:56 pm

Nostradoomus wrote:That's a solid budget for a good head dude. Anything 100 Watts and non-master volume should be rad. Ampeg V4 would be my choice at that price. Could probably score a Sound City too.

I should say I'd LIKE to spend around $500 so I can add another 4x12 to the mix.
archlilim

experienced
experienced

Postby Kacey Y » Wed May 21, 2014 4:19 pm

I didn't even see you were in the Bay Area. I have bought and sold half my amps on the SF Craigslist. There's always good deals on there, with patience. Here man, tons of good deals on vintage Traynor stuff right now...

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/msg/4480970868.html
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/msg/4458973861.html
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/msg/4458975786.html
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/msd/4470778232.html

doommeow also posted at least one of these I think, as I was typing. Kind Amplification is a good place to buy from when they have deals. That's who service my YBA-1 and they did a great job. Some of those are under 100W, but they have HUGE transformers and they're really loud, just with a little dirt. I really like my '70 YBA-1 with dirt pedals and I've recorded a lot of other people with it who loved it too. It's one of the loudest amps for it's rating I've ever played. There's some other good stuff on there right now for at or under $500, depending on your taste and you can probably get a decent 4x12 for $350 or under.
Appalachian Queer Punk Moms Local 138
Kacey Y

IAMILF
IAMILF

Next

Return to ilovedoom.org