Any Soldano clones worth a damn?

Any Soldano clones worth a damn?

Postby Kacey Y » Thu May 15, 2014 12:25 pm

I've been wanting an SLO-100 for a long time, but between the price and scarcity on the used market, I started looking for clones in the last couple years. Seems there's a few kits out there and that's it, but screw that, because I'm electrically disinclined. Wires love to electrocute me. Are there any SLO clones out there for less than the real thing that are worth a damn? I know about the Yamaha T100, but I never see those come up anywhere, occasionally just the 50W combo versions.

I know there's supposedly some mojo to the transformers, because they have them made to their spec, not sure how true that is. Come one dudes, feed my GAS.
Appalachian Queer Punk Moms Local 138
Kacey Y

IAMILF
IAMILF

Re: Any Soldano clones worth a damn?

Postby pelliott » Thu May 15, 2014 12:49 pm

Jet City 100 HDM?
pelliott

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby t-rey » Thu May 15, 2014 9:00 pm

There is some talk about the mojo in the transformers for the SLO since they are literally only made for Soldano and nobody else can get them. I'd go for the Jet City for the money. I had a 22h that was a great little amp. I'm sure you could get the components changed and shit to make it almost identical to a HR100+ as well.
t-rey

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby doommeow » Thu May 15, 2014 10:28 pm

Hovercraft?
doommeow

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby whiskey_face » Fri May 16, 2014 4:32 am

doommeow wrote:Hovercraft?

i dont even. . . .

just cause they change 3 caps in jet citys doesnt mean theyre slo clones.

titans are pretty good slo clones. why not just save up for the real thing? it will be cheaper in the long run.
good deals with Noise. . .guitmatt, magiclawnchair, delaydecay, Fuzz_Pi, nixhex113, theAntihero, Ancient Astronaught, bigchiefbc, jwojtysiak, neonblack, osbornkt

http://www.facebook.com/daughtersofzionaz
whiskey_face

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby conky » Fri May 16, 2014 9:55 am

Why not just look for a used Avenger or a Hotrod if you need two channels? Both of those have the SLO dirt channel on them. I have a Hotrod100+ and it sounds amazing. Definitely brings the djent or doom or 80s rock, or whatever all depending on how you dial it in. I think used ones are around $800 - $1200 for the Avenger and the Hotrod.
conky

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Kacey Y » Fri May 16, 2014 10:04 am

pelliott wrote:Jet City 100 HDM?

t-rey wrote:There is some talk about the mojo in the transformers for the SLO since they are literally only made for Soldano and nobody else can get them. I'd go for the Jet City for the money. I had a 22h that was a great little amp. I'm sure you could get the components changed and shit to make it almost identical to a HR100+ as well.

I wasn't aware of the Jet City/Soldano connection, I don't keep up on newer amp companies that much. Especially high gain stuff, since I'm almost always playing pedals into a clean amp (usually NMV). I haven't had a high gain amp in my stable since I sold my Dual Rec several years ago. For the price, a Jet City might be worth checking out.

whiskey_face wrote:
doommeow wrote:Hovercraft?

i dont even. . . .

just cause they change 3 caps in jet citys doesnt mean theyre slo clones.

titans are pretty good slo clones. why not just save up for the real thing? it will be cheaper in the long run.

Yeah, I'm not that into what Hovercraft is doing. Nothing bad to say about the guy's skills or intentions, but it's not a concept that appeals to me. I will (and do) buy cheap stuff that can sound cool with some knob twiddling and I will (and do) shell out big bucks for a high quality custom amp. Taking a cheap import and halfway upgrading it with some branding for a higher sticker price doesn't appeal to me. Gimme the cheap shit or gimme the top of the line.

Never heard of Titan before. All the demos online seem to be guys playing styles that don't really get into the tonal realm of what I like to do at all, but it sounds decent. Not a bad price for a non mass produced tube amp either. I'd probably try to play one in person first, if I seriously considered buying one...not sure how feasible that would be.

I'm definitely considering buying a used SLO-100. I probably could swing it with what I have saved up now, but then a bunch of purchases/DIY projects would be flushed for at least another year. That's why I was looking into if there are any decent knockoffs of that tone. I'll probably have about $1000 left after I spend the money to get all the materials I need for a cab build and a new standard tuning guitar to replace my SG I just sold. Was hoping to have more, but my Sunn Beta Bass wasn't getting any real offers on it after a month for sale, so I just decided to keep it in storage and hold onto it for a while.
Kacey Y

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Kacey Y » Fri May 16, 2014 10:06 am

conky wrote:Why not just look for a used Avenger or a Hotrod if you need two channels? Both of those have the SLO dirt channel on them. I have a Hotrod100+ and it sounds amazing. Definitely brings the djent or doom or 80s rock, or whatever all depending on how you dial it in. I think used ones are around $800 - $1200 for the Avenger and the Hotrod.

Don't even need 2 channels, honestly. I never play clean, ever. I may look into a Hot Rod 100, thanks for the suggestion conky.
Kacey Y

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby theAntihero » Fri May 16, 2014 9:06 pm

FWIW Titan has got a bad rep recently
Great trades with : Officer Bukowski, Bklingman, Jero, Jrmy,ethanxcampos, whiskey_face, doctorpoopenstein420, terminator
theAntihero

experienced
experienced

Postby Nostradoomus » Fri May 16, 2014 11:48 pm

Wasn't Titan the company spawned out of the HC Amp forum?

If so, there's your answer.
ethan/big69 on HCFX
Nostradoomus

committed
committed

Postby whiskey_face » Sat May 17, 2014 12:19 am

theAntihero wrote:FWIW Titan has got a bad rep recently

yup thats why theyre dirt cheap used :love:
good deals with Noise. . .guitmatt, magiclawnchair, delaydecay, Fuzz_Pi, nixhex113, theAntihero, Ancient Astronaught, bigchiefbc, jwojtysiak, neonblack, osbornkt

http://www.facebook.com/daughtersofzionaz
whiskey_face

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Kacey Y » Sat May 17, 2014 10:38 am

theAntihero wrote:FWIW Titan has got a bad rep recently

In what way? I did a search, but only came up with a bunch of threads from 2011ish where people just got one or were waiting.
Kacey Y

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby theAntihero » Sat May 17, 2014 1:31 pm

IIRC someone was waiting for like 18 months on getting theirs.

Check out www.guitarampboard.com for newer info
Great trades with : Officer Bukowski, Bklingman, Jero, Jrmy,ethanxcampos, whiskey_face, doctorpoopenstein420, terminator
theAntihero

experienced
experienced

Postby Kacey Y » Sat May 17, 2014 3:29 pm

theAntihero wrote:IIRC someone was waiting for like 18 months on getting theirs.

Check out http://www.guitarampboard.com for newer info

Ah, yeah, understandable if he's a part time builder. I'm already waiting forever for my Dunwich (though worth it), so I'm less inclined to do that again right away.
Kacey Y

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby theAntihero » Sat May 17, 2014 4:45 pm

I think it was more that the builder lied about a time line than anything else.

I hate it when they lie, id rather they told me it would take longer than they think.
theAntihero

experienced
experienced

Next

Return to ilovedoom.org