Let's hear about those cab builds you have planned.

Re: Let's hear about those cab builds you have planned.

Postby ShaolinLambKiller » Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:27 pm

Nice, I saw the back first and thought it was actually a chest of drawers.
I like to keep myself busy:
My loud heavy boxes:
www.facebook.com/MaulerCustomCabs

a ton of my music
http://speedritualrecords.storenvy.com/

and a ton of my ugly art
http://www.cavepaints.com/
ShaolinLambKiller

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Ancient Astronaught » Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:51 pm

Aight it's becoming clear that its nearing the time to actually possibly go through with my crazy ampeg fridge conversion idea.....

So I want to take my fridge, pull the speakers, and rip out the front baffle and 2 of the internal dividers to make it into a 2x18. Keeping the middle baffle between the speakers.

I know.. I know... I"M NUTS... I've been told that many times before with this idea....

Anyways I was wondering if anyone knew how much internal volume that would give me per speaker, as I want to use Eminence Delta-Pro 18's (I've loved every size and type of emi delta pro I've tried) which need 3-10.5cu ft per speaker. I've read that the total internal volume of the 810e is about 11.5 cu ft so that leaves about 5.75 cu ft for each speaker which is in its usable range. But then I gotta figure out the porting situation....

All this science gives me a headache....

Can anyone help me pweeeeeez?

Oh and link to speaker specs: http://www.usspeaker.com/Delta%20Pro-18a-1.htm
Iommic Pope wrote:Skip, you rule. You hate people so much, you're willing to discredit all human progress, its awesome.
Ancient Astronaught

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby skullservant » Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:56 pm

It seems like 5.75 per speaker will be okay if the range on the speaker is 3-10.5 in a vented enclosure. It'll just be the tuning of the port that you'll have to do some calcuation over, which I'm not sure of how to do. That's definitely a wide range for variation on cubic footage that it needs haha
skullservant

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Kacey Y » Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:30 pm

Ancient Astronaught wrote:Aight it's becoming clear that its nearing the time to actually possibly go through with my crazy ampeg fridge conversion idea.....

So I want to take my fridge, pull the speakers, and rip out the front baffle and 2 of the internal dividers to make it into a 2x18. Keeping the middle baffle between the speakers.

I know.. I know... I"M NUTS... I've been told that many times before with this idea....

Anyways I was wondering if anyone knew how much internal volume that would give me per speaker, as I want to use Eminence Delta-Pro 18's (I've loved every size and type of emi delta pro I've tried) which need 3-10.5cu ft per speaker. I've read that the total internal volume of the 810e is about 11.5 cu ft so that leaves about 5.75 cu ft for each speaker which is in its usable range. But then I gotta figure out the porting situation....

All this science gives me a headache....

Can anyone help me pweeeeeez?

Oh and link to speaker specs: http://www.usspeaker.com/Delta%20Pro-18a-1.htm

It might be just about the minimum cubic feet needed for those drivers. They're recommending a minimum of 3 cu ft and if you removed the upper and lower board on the inside and left the middle, I think the top would be around 3.9 cu ft or so (estimating really quick here), but the bottom has that angled bit for the wheels, so not sure how that works out. They might need to be ported differently on the top and bottom sections. The calculations for porting are beyond me, I leave that stuff to more qualified people, I'm just estimating the internal volume by the outside dimensions, assuming .75" thick plywood. Personally I think it might be easier and more cost effective to just build a cab for scratch, for all the alterations you'd have to make to the 810. Although you might be able to sell the 10" drivers to offset things a bit. Replacing the baffle is no big deal, it's ripping out the existing separating boards and the non symmetrical aspects of the top and bottom that seem like a pain. How it will actually SOUND afterwards is anyone's guess and totally subjective. That's why I'd personally rather just build a box, which is pretty easy, then if it's sounds iffy I wouldn't feel like I destroyed something that already worked and could be sold.
Appalachian Queer Punk Moms Local 138
Kacey Y

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Ancient Astronaught » Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:37 pm

That's what people hve told me before but I got a good deal on this cab so I don't feel bad ripping it apart, I could probably get the same I paid for the cab if I sold the drivers. It's going to be paired with another 8x10 so I wanted to keep things as identical outside as possible (thanks to my OCD) and the cab I have actually has the angle on top and bottom so both would have the identical amount of space, and would need the same porting, luckily.
Iommic Pope wrote:Skip, you rule. You hate people so much, you're willing to discredit all human progress, its awesome.
Ancient Astronaught

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Ancient Astronaught » Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:41 pm

Realistically, during practice he's DI'd off the Matamp into 2 2x15 PA towers that go down to 35hz.... it did help alot with the low end. and When playing live we'll probably be have the bass DI'd or be using our PA... so maybe I'm just being delusional haha

Just trying to get those Drop F open notes a lil more audible...
Ancient Astronaught

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Kacey Y » Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:43 pm

Ancient Astronaught wrote:That's what people hve told me before but I got a good deal on this cab so I don't feel bad ripping it apart, I could probably get the same I paid for the cab if I sold the drivers. It's going to be paired with another 8x10 so I wanted to keep things as identical outside as possible (thanks to my OCD) and the cab I have actually has the angle on top and bottom so both would have the identical amount of space, and would need the same porting, luckily.

In that case I'd go for it. The internal volume seems ok, just barely, assuming it's ported right. You could always just keep it sealed and not worry about it. The only 18" cab I ever owned was my old Peavey 1820 and it was a box of farts, but I doubt it would be a reasonable comparison.
Kacey Y

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Ancient Astronaught » Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:46 pm

Sealed would probably be easier to do, and bring down the foundation of my house hahahahaha

I like it. :evil:
Ancient Astronaught

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Kacey Y » Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:58 pm

Ancient Astronaught wrote:Sealed would probably be easier to do, and bring down the foundation of my house hahahahaha

I like it. :evil:

When you put it that way...how can you not do it?
Kacey Y

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Ancient Astronaught » Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:23 pm

Eggzachary!!!
Ancient Astronaught

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby theAntihero » Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:54 pm

Eminence has cab designs on its site, you could see if one has around the same cf inside to help tune for the porting
Great trades with : Officer Bukowski, Bklingman, Jero, Jrmy,ethanxcampos, whiskey_face, doctorpoopenstein420, terminator
theAntihero

experienced
experienced

Postby TommySturdivant » Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:35 pm

Green 4X12 with eminence wizards
TommySturdivant

uncommitted
uncommitted

Postby ShaolinLambKiller » Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:13 pm

Here are some shots of the cab near completion:

My loud heavy boxes:

a ton of my music

and a ton of my ugly art
ShaolinLambKiller

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby ryan summit » Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:25 pm

ooh mama
lookylooky
ryan summit

Supporter
Supporter

Postby ShaolinLambKiller » Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:42 pm

Yea I'll go on and do the finishing touches on Monday since family is coming over tmwr to celebrate Easter. Full display at that time.
My loud heavy boxes:

a ton of my music

and a ton of my ugly art
ShaolinLambKiller

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

PreviousNext

Return to ilovedoom.org