Bassman for doom?

Re: Bassman for doom?

Postby Ancient Astronaught » Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:46 am

Muff_Diver wrote:I'll have to look into weber. The ad claims that it comes with the stock speakers, but I don't have too much faith in their condition. I had really only considered eminence speakers since they're pretty affordable and seem to perform quite well.

I find Eminence speakers to be very colored in their tone. Their descriptions are accurate but though so atleast you know what your getting. If you want affordable and good you can also check out Warehouse Guitar Speakers but their 15" selection is limited.
Iommic Pope wrote:Skip, you rule. You hate people so much, you're willing to discredit all human progress, its awesome.
Ancient Astronaught

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby dazedbyday » Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:48 am

The stock speakers may be jbl's or jensens. I don't remember off the top of my head. In either case they are designed for a cleaner response but can take dirt pedals nicely. But since they are getting old they may need replacing depending on how much they have been used.

This situation just happened to me with an old sunn cab. The speakers are original and are now reaching 40 some years old since they were made in the 70s. The speakers just started to fart on some of the lows at last practice. So rather than pushing them any further I am taking them out and putting in some warehouse guitar speakers. That is another company you can check out but I think they only have two 15s. An old jensen style clone and a bass speaker. But their 12" selection is vey nice and I have heard nothing but good about them. I got the et90 speakers. Weber is a good company too though. Like I said I have teh michigan 15. The other guitarist in my band has the 1265s in his emperor and he loves that cab.

But to return to your situation, the 2x15 cab will probably serve you well. Try playing with it for a bit and see if you like it. If you find something lacking then look into getting new speakers. You can also combine it with a 2x12 that has speakers designed to cut while the 2x15 will give you the low end girth.

Pre-post-edit: Ahh, skip beat me to the warehouse guitar recommendation!
dazedbyday

experienced
experienced

Postby nailwalker » Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:59 pm

Ran through my buddy's ('78? I think) Bassman 50 with matching 2x15 last night, and holy fucking shit. Straight in, no pedals, absolutely dimed was incredible. About half as loud as I wanted it to be, but god did it growl.
"Put down your glass. Don't raise a toast to your slaving bloodline now; come to life. Walk the roads to Judah, tonight."
nailwalker

interested
interested

Postby friendship » Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:46 pm

You guys are making me miss my Bassman head. I didn't get many opportunities for this, but I loved cranking the volume to 10 and then boosting it for metal. Thing fucking roared.
sound journal

actualidiot wrote:12-bit's almost analog, right?
friendship

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Chankgeez » Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:57 pm

I'd take a Bassman over a Twin any day.
psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
…...........................…
Sweet dealin's: here
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby friendship » Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:19 am

Chankgeez wrote:I'd take a Bassman over a Twin any day.

I recorded an album a couple years ago using both in stereo. The Twin was clean and reverbed, the Bassman was dry and breaking up a bit. :yay:
sound journal

friendship

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Chankgeez » Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:32 am

I bet that sounded amazing.
psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby Muff_Diver » Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:46 am

Chankgeez wrote:I'd take a Bassman over a Twin any day.

Two different beasts.
My dad has an original early 60s twin that I was jamming on last weekend and, man, that is the perfect guitar-cable-amp amp. Adding any pedals to it imo is sacrilegious (in a non-cool way). I never quite understood why it's considered to be THE clean amp though. Around 5 or 6 you start to get an awesome tube crunch, not radical enough for doom, but great for whatever you want to consider rock.
But my sf bassman is such a solid base head. Like others had said, maxing it out sounds awesome. Jumping channels lets you really dial in some cool tones. And the bottom end is so plentiful and tweakable.

I think friendship did it right by using both. Ive wanted to add a twin to my rig but cant settle for a silverface.

Friendship, could you post a link to that recording?
Muff_Diver

experienced
experienced

Postby friendship » Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:45 pm

Yeah it was fun when it came time to mix, because you could push the Bassman track volume for grit and pull it back for more clean if you wanted.

This song is a good example of them being run pretty clean, throughout. Much of the Rhodes was reamped with those amps as well: http://gunslingbirds.bandcamp.com/track/tarot-candor

And this track has a slow intro but it ramps up as I slam the shit out of the amps with fuzz, climaxing at the end. http://gunslingbirds.bandcamp.com/track ... nk-odyssey
sound journal

friendship

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Muff_Diver » Thu Apr 10, 2014 3:15 pm

excellent work.
Muff_Diver

experienced
experienced

Postby friendship » Thu Apr 10, 2014 4:31 pm

Thanks! I've actually never tried channel jumping on my Twin before, I gotta check out that technique.
sound journal

friendship

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby friendship » Thu Apr 10, 2014 5:00 pm

Oh also cool treat for Bassman head owners: run a mono synth through the bass channel for Phat Ass Destiny
sound journal

friendship

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Muff_Diver » Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:17 am

friendship wrote:Thanks! I've actually never tried channel jumping on my Twin before, I gotta check out that technique.

It's not as cool, if even noticeable, on the twin as it is on the bassman due to the more extreme difference of the two inputs on the bassman. With the twin you're combining the same inputs, just sort of messing with the vibrato and reverb. But because the twin has the "bass" and "guitar" inputs, bridging them lets you play around with the capabilities of both inputs simultaneously. When I mess with the knobs, I usually end up coming back to using the bass channel for the low end and the guitar channel for mids and highs. Don't know why I like it that way, but it certainly sounds cooler than it does going straight in either channel.
I've never tried it on a twin, but maybe there's something unique to be gained from bridging; I have to encourage the experimentation.
Muff_Diver

experienced
experienced

Postby Pizza » Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:31 am

I don't want to hijack the thread or anything but anyone tried a Bandmaster for the dooms?

They are always popping up on craigslist for super cheap. There is one close to me for $375
http://vomitthesun.bandcamp.com
Good Deals with: fluffytunapouch-PetZounds-chuckjaywalk-ThurberMingus-AxAxSxS-Bellyheart-terminator-lordgalvar
Pizza

committed
committed

Postby Chankgeez » Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:47 am

Bandmasters are also fine for Doom.

Only problem, it may be a little underpowered. If I were using a Bandmaster for Doom, I'd probably wanna two amp set up.

With the right pedals they rule though.
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

PreviousNext

Return to ilovedoom.org