Any solid state love?

Re: Any solid state love?

Postby halkaloogie » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:45 pm

Finskjaere wrote:Hello everybody,

I'm new on this forum, and I'm considering about buying a CR120.

Initially, I wanted an OR15. I tried one in a guitar shop, and the sound was awesome. But, I'm playing doom (with some black metal influences) in a band, and loud, and I think it will be hard to be hearded on reharsal (my drummer plays pretty loud too). I saw some videos on YouTube, but not much uses low tunings (I mean B or drop A).

I really love massive sounds, like Conan, Ufomammut, Cough or Monarch!
First, do you think I'll get satisfyed with this amp ? (I know it won't sound like à Matamp GT120...)

Then, is it possible, for CR120 owners, to post some massive sounds on low tunings with that amp ?

Thank you very much !

I have been running the dirty channel of a CR120 into a Sunn beta lead's loop A and a Submarine fuzz into loop B into a stock Peavey Penta cab. With my P90 SG the sound is FUCKING HEAVY clear and amazingly accurate. Because the Beta has two effects loops there is no faze problems either. so far all my tube amps have been collecting dust since I put together this monster.
halkaloogie

interested
interested

Postby Finskjaere » Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:30 pm

I just ordered my CR120H, can't wait to recieve it !
Finskjaere

interested
interested

Postby ShaolinLambKiller » Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:33 pm

Nice! I have 3 of em
I like to keep myself busy:
My loud heavy boxes:
www.facebook.com/MaulerCustomCabs

a ton of my music
http://speedritualrecords.storenvy.com/

and a ton of my ugly art
http://www.cavepaints.com/
ShaolinLambKiller

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Finskjaere » Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:34 pm

Your YouTube videos contributed to my purchase ;).
Finskjaere

interested
interested

Postby ShaolinLambKiller » Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:57 pm

Thank you I'm very glad they were useful for you.
My loud heavy boxes:

a ton of my music

and a ton of my ugly art
ShaolinLambKiller

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby JereFuzz » Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:34 pm

Today I installed two speakers I had laying around into a 2X10 Seismic (particle board, though tough) cab. It looks like something folks would put in the back of their truck to blast bassy rap songs. Anyway, I installed an old 16ohm jet city (Eminence) speaker and a 16ohm Jensen Electric Lightning speaker into the cab. To test it, i.e. make sure the wiring was a-ok, I dusted off my Quileter 101. Previously, I noted (somewhere) that it didn't take pedals well, distortion pedals at least. And I thought it wouldn't take pedals well when I plugged in my sg special and hardwire sc-2 but I was super impressed. I'm thinking that the Quilter "likes" the Jensen e.l./jet city combo quite a bit because everything was smooth (in a metal sense). The hi-cut on the quilter is your friend and hit kills any nasty transistor highs that may creep in. And "despite" being only 50 watts (at least on the non-surf/jazz channels) it is super loud. My faith in the Quilter brand has really been renewed!
“We learn from history that we do not learn from history.”
― Georg Wilhelm Friedrich Hegel
JereFuzz

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Finskjaere » Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:08 am

Hey guys!

What do you think about the Peavey Centurion mk III for punishing riffs ? (One's in sale nearby for cheap)

(BTW, I canceled my order for the CR120H, because I bought a 5150 ^^ still, I'll probably buy this amp later as a backup)

Thanks for your answers!
Finskjaere

interested
interested

Postby JereFuzz » Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:45 pm

Finskjaere wrote:Hey guys!

What do you think about the Peavey Centurion mk III for punishing riffs ? (One's in sale nearby for cheap)

(BTW, I canceled my order for the CR120H, because I bought a 5150 ^^ still, I'll probably buy this amp later as a backup)

Thanks for your answers!

Never played one but utube clips sound heavy ... they look cool too
JereFuzz

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Bassist_Diver » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:09 pm

I'm okay with Gallien-Krueger RB heads but that's about it.
The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever. - Jacques Cousteau
Good dealings with: Vrom, Conky

Yamaha / Gallien-Krueger / Pedals
Bassist_Diver

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby GardenoftheDead » Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:57 am

the Boss Katanas can cop fairly convincing doomage for a low price
GardenoftheDead

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby ShaolinLambKiller » Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:47 am

i'm down to one broken cr120 now and sold the other 2 to friends that wanted to jam on them and feel in love with them. I hooked them up with the exact prices I got them for.
My loud heavy boxes:

a ton of my music

and a ton of my ugly art
ShaolinLambKiller

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby JereFuzz » Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:16 pm

ShaolinLambKiller wrote:i'm down to one broken cr120 now and sold the other 2 to friends that wanted to jam on them and feel in love with them. I hooked them up with the exact prices I got them for.

Ever check out Dave Simpson’s YouTube? He is the best salesman for the OR120:

I think he’s posted 30+ videos on the crush. I have two - black cr60c and orange cr120h ... great amps with a much beloved MASTER VOLUME! But you do have to crank it to sound nice but one you are there it is very versatile if you play with the EQ.
JereFuzz

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby JTurbide » Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:44 am

Thanks for your answers!

Can't comment on this particular one but I just bought a Peavey 260H Standard PA (solid state from around the same years) and it's really cool. Go see and try it, if it's good and cheap buy it. I mean I got mine for like $120 shipped. 120W 4 channel head (I use jumper cables to run through all 4 of them at the same time for great distortion sounds) with fx loop and built in spring reverb for the price of a cheap pedal :excellent:
JTurbide

experienced
experienced

Postby fever606 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:58 am

I played bass through Centurys and Centurions (into an Ampeg fridge) all through college and every one of them was a fantastic amp. Loud an indestructible and cut through without getting harsh. And they take a Big Muff like champs.

Unrelated: my ACC140 is in BST. PM me for details/doom bro hookup... :animal:
fever606

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby JTurbide » Tue May 15, 2018 6:28 pm

Just here to say that after a great experience with old solid state amps (Peavey) I just acquired a Traynor TS-20. This thing is really cool too ! Small, weight close to nothing, pretty loud, Hi and Low channels, good cleans, pretty good reverb (I think I prefer it over my Peavey's reverb, but haven't done a real side by side reverb comparison yet), nice tube-esque overdrive, tons of gain.

My buddy played my Formanta Solo with the built it fuzz at full blast, the amp gain and reverb maxed, tuned to drop D and even at low volume it was fucking awesome. Damn I would've like to be in a jam space instead of my appartment. I tried today and didn't get quite the same tone (I was in normal tuning but I don't think thats the cause), he probably hit that sweet spot on the Fuzz tone knob.

Played some surfy tunes today, loved the cleans and reverb.

I'll get some tubes amps again some day but damn I'm having fun with those SS. :D

edit: Earth Sound Research SuperBass Producer Series in !! Another great sounding amp ! :D
JTurbide

experienced
experienced

PreviousNext

Return to ilovedoom.org