Any solid state love?

Re: Any solid state love?

Postby Iommic Pope » Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:09 pm

Always match the numbers, people.

And when chaining, learn the formula, buy a calculator if necessary.
WWPD?
fcknoise wrote:You are all fucking tryhard effort posting nerds

Invisible Man wrote:I'm probably the most humble person I know. I feel good about smelling my own butthole.

Jesus Was a Robot wrote:Did you just assume Billy Corgan's dildo preference??
Iommic Pope

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Barracuda » Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:19 pm

ShaolinLambKiller wrote:
Iommic Pope wrote:I think generally SS amps can handle load mismatch a bit more, but as SLK said, I wouldn't put all my faith in that shit.

I know they don't like that load mismatch. my friend burnt up 3 ampeg bass heads doing this stupidity.

I'm guessing it depends on design, and might be related to the SS amp having an output transformer. I'm not an electronics guy by training though, so don't take my word for it, I would just guess that since the OT is the part in tube amps that dies with load mismatching... But most solid state power amps can take impedance mismatch when the load is high impedance. The case of a speaker cable breaking is infinite impedance, and typically fine for a SS amp. If he shorted the output jack, that would be 0 ohm impedance, and very bad.

Now, there should be lots of grains of salt with all this, because
Iommic Pope wrote:Always match the numbers, people.

this is the best, always, and there is definitely something wrong with the amp if it doesn't make any sound. :lol:
Barracuda

committed
committed

Postby fcknoise » Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:21 pm

Thanks for all the replies! I'm gonna contact some local amp tech to see what a fix would cost, and evaluate if it's even worth it.
Cydonia wrote: Too bad no one here is interested in talking about "gear"

BossMann73 wrote:I didn't insult it......I "curated" a "different aesthetic.".

John wrote:I love how this forum has the GDP of Switzerland in pedals but the collective value of everyone's patch cables is less than the change in my couch cushions. And I don't have a couch.

Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/sharkmovieappriciator
Bandcamp: https://fcknoise.bandcamp.com/
fcknoise

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby ovid9 » Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:12 pm

Hope you get your B100 fixed man!

I have a couple old 70s Acoustic Controls 150s. One just got tuned up by a local tech and it went from hummy disaster to awesome pedal platform. The other needs to head to the tech because one channel is fucked and the other channel is a hummy scratchy mess.

Cool old amps though. Great pedal platforms. The working one lives on top of my Peavey 1810.
ovid9

uncommitted
uncommitted

Postby The Mad Titan » Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:20 pm

I'm sure I'm echoing what's already been said, but there have always been great SS amps out there from plenty of manufacturers. They're also usually quite accessible and cheap for most musicians.

Old Fenders
Marshall Lead or Mosfet amps
Ampeg
Lab Series
Sunn
Peavey

And those are only the better known ones.
The Mad Titan

committed
committed

Postby Gone Fission » Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:59 pm

Often, though not always, solid state amps are more tolerant of load issues than tube amps. But running into a dead short will kill a hell of a lot of them because a lot of designs don't protect against output shorts, especially older designs. Hot patching a 1/4" speaker jack can create a dead short, so best to do your patching before the power is on. Running with no speaker connected (infinite ohms) is generally less worse, though some amps still don't like it, no sir.

Best to have a good tech perspective of how badly you can abuse a particular amp and get away with it before actually attempting to do so.
D.o.S. wrote:Broadly speaking, if we at ILF are dropping 300 bucks on a pedal it probably sounds like an SNES holocaust.
friendship wrote:death to false bleep-blop
UglyCasanova wrote:brb gonna slap my dick on my stomp boxes
Gone Fission

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby whiskey_face » Thu Oct 30, 2014 6:09 am

due to the volumes run in whiskeypoop and the dr. gingerstiens, SS amps might be almost all we run soon.
good deals with Noise. . .guitmatt, magiclawnchair, delaydecay, Fuzz_Pi, nixhex113, theAntihero, Ancient Astronaught, bigchiefbc, jwojtysiak, neonblack, osbornkt

http://www.facebook.com/daughtersofzionaz
whiskey_face

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby samzadgan » Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:17 am

necro bump...Laney PL100 Pro Linebacker...they look like old Pro Tubes, but all solid state and have the push/pull knobs...any thoughts??
AxAxSxS wrote:...if its a loud tube amp.... :doom:

Iommic Pope wrote:Amps first, makeup sex later.
samzadgan

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby ShaolinLambKiller » Sat Jan 03, 2015 12:07 am

I've always wondered cause I see them for cheap but haven't found anything that would let me know one way or another if it's even worth a 100 drop
I like to keep myself busy:
My loud heavy boxes:
www.facebook.com/MaulerCustomCabs

a ton of my music
http://speedritualrecords.storenvy.com/

and a ton of my ugly art
http://www.cavepaints.com/
ShaolinLambKiller

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Barracuda » Sat Jan 03, 2015 3:51 pm

Same here, there was one for $70 on my local cl, but by the time I tried to get it, it was gone.
Barracuda

committed
committed

Postby samzadgan » Sat Jan 03, 2015 5:02 pm

I think i need to buy one...take one for the team!

samzadgan

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Barracuda » Sat Jan 03, 2015 5:34 pm

samzadgan wrote:I think i need to buy one...take one for the team!

Agreed. :lol:

...dibs on the flip :poke:
Barracuda

committed
committed

Postby mmurphy1000 » Sat Jan 03, 2015 5:48 pm

ronripper wrote:All my favorite amps are SS or more accurately hybrid amps as I generally run a tube pre with a SS power section.

I always use pedals for dirt, so it's all about having a great clean base to work with. I find that SS amps give me more headroom and cleaner low end than all the tube amps I've owned.

My current favorite is an ampeg svt-III non-pro. It sounds 99% like the svt-II non-pro I owned and loved, but with great dynamics and more deep low end headroom.

Both of the other guys in Bongripper are running SS amps along with their tube amps for pure extra volume. An OG GK 400rb and an acc220 both sound awesome, and double as great bass amps too.

That's my ideal bass setup as well - a nice clean base tone, and then add the dirt via pedals.
For Second Grave it's tube or nothing, but I really miss having a good clean tone at a respectable volume. Most of the tube heads I've tried break up earlier than I would like - if I want to be loud, I have to be dirty.
For other projects I use a mostly solid state rig. My current setup for that is a rackmount Sansamp RBI running into a Carvin B2000 (tube preamp, ss power). The Carvin is rock solid and completely clean and the tone comes from the Sansamp. I'm not 100% happy with the Carvin as it's a little sterile but as a basic power amp it works very well. The Sansamp is probably my favorite piece of gear right now - so versatile and so impressively angry when I need it to be lol.
mmurphy1000

committed
committed

Postby samzadgan » Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:16 pm

Fucker..:i missed out on that Laney Pro Linebacker. I was hoping to get it for £100 and it went to £125. I was bidding on a CR120 at the same time hoping to buy both test and sell 1...bad news, no Laney...good news got a hell of a deal on the Orange!

samzadgan

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby ShaolinLambKiller » Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:59 pm

what did ya steal it for?
I like to keep myself busy:
My loud heavy boxes:
www.facebook.com/MaulerCustomCabs

a ton of my music
http://speedritualrecords.storenvy.com/

and a ton of my ugly art