Muff suggestions?!?!?!?

Muff suggestions?!?!?!?

Postby jwojtysiak » Fri Dec 27, 2013 2:16 pm

I'm looking for Muff suggestions. Something that will stack well.

Thanks!
jwojtysiak

committed
committed

Re: Muff suggestions?!?!?!?

Postby t-rey » Fri Dec 27, 2013 2:43 pm

Pharaoh. Stacks like a champ. Heaviness ensues.

For your non-stacking needs, I've loved the Musket for several years now.
t-rey

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby pelliott » Fri Dec 27, 2013 2:54 pm

What are you planning to stack it with? Muff into that or that boosting muff? Clean or dirty amp?

The Pharaoh and Musket are both killer as mentioned above, for very different purposes. Pharaoh works best pushing something loud/dirty and the Musket is better standing alone but you can tool around with low gain settings and it works nicely being pushed by ODs.
pelliott

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Ancient Astronaught » Fri Dec 27, 2013 3:01 pm

Hi-gain or low gain-muff? Modern or vintage sounding?

Like has been said here the Pharaoh is a board staple for a reason, great low gain or high gain sounds, super awesome EQ, and it stacks amazingly, the one caveat is that it loves to be put through a loud amp. If you play at bedroom volumes alot you may find your self wanting something more, but if you play out a lot or you crank it while your jamming at home you'll love it.
Iommic Pope wrote:Skip, you rule. You hate people so much, you're willing to discredit all human progress, its awesome.
Ancient Astronaught

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Krosis » Fri Dec 27, 2013 3:01 pm

If your finances don't allow for a Pharoah, try a Way Huge Swollen Pickle. They are going for around $70 used now at Guitar Center. It stacks well with my Bad Monkey as well as my BAT Revelation.
samzadgan wrote:You could come back and Matt Pike actually played classical guitar and studied really hard, didn't drink or smoke, and was now high paid Lawyer who spend most of his free time on TGP talking about how much his Les Paul weighs and how that makes the tone better than a Les Paul that weighs 0.05lb less.

new05002 wrote:I heard it does not work for kids who dont like black sabbath and sleep so there you go.
Krosis

experienced
experienced

Postby jwojtysiak » Fri Dec 27, 2013 3:19 pm

Closer to a high gain. Vintage. I use a SS/BS Sparkle Motion into a BAT Revelation SB. The head is dirty. Playing loud, live band situations.
jwojtysiak

committed
committed

Postby skullservant » Fri Dec 27, 2013 3:20 pm

I will say Blunderbuss if you want HEAVY shit
Musket if you want a less wild sounding Muff with flexibility
Pharoah if you play loud and love to stack (I've found I onlyl liked how it sounded loud, but again just me)
Super Collider if you want to destroy everyone (3 clipping options, pregain, mids knob, a lot heavier than the Musket)
Big Green Pi because it rules and there are switches on the inside for different sounds as well (never actually played one but it is based off of my original Tall Font Sovtek muff)
Tall Font from Wren and Cuff if you want a straight up Tall Font clone that sounds closer to the real thing than I've ever heard. Also very small.
Rams Head variant if you want to use it for leads (Possibly the MASF Lavender Head, I've heard it is awesome and the tweaked Tone Stack is great too)
Eau Claire Thunder if you like to get noisey. Stuff stacks into it fairly well. The tone bypass and oscillation footswitch give it a whole lot of options
Hoof if you want some vintage tone but the ability to bump mids. The germanium gives it a vintage vibe but the LED's give it plenty of volume and balls. Stuff also stacks well into it
LSTR if you want something a little angrier than the Pharaoh but with a few less options and more gain
Black Russian Sovtek is pretty good for stacking. They are a pain to mod though.
Green Russian Bubble font have more bass, a little less clarity.
Tall Font Green Russians have crunch and gain out the ass and when you stack into them it just turns into this massive wall of awesome.

I think those are all the muffs that I've tried....
skullservant

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Ancient Astronaught » Fri Dec 27, 2013 3:21 pm

jwojtysiak wrote:Closer to a high gain. Vintage. I use a SS/BS Sparkle Motion into a BAT Revelation SB. The head is dirty. Playing loud, live band situations.

Pharaoh, period. :thumb:
Iommic Pope wrote:Skip, you rule. You hate people so much, you're willing to discredit all human progress, its awesome.
Ancient Astronaught

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby LOCOPELAND » Fri Dec 27, 2013 4:14 pm

Yep, Pharaoh.
:ilw:

nightterrors wrote:Except fuzz, fuzz all the time.
LOCOPELAND

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby chillerthanmost » Fri Dec 27, 2013 5:19 pm

I have a SS/BS Sparkle Motion and it pairs up excellent with my Pharaoh. I don't play super high gain, but I play thick heavy crunch. I actually went between three pharaohs to finally enjoy one, but once I tried the germanium setting I was instantly sold on it. It stacks SO well with everything else too. Right now I'm stacking it with a Rat Tail to one amp and a Fuck OD to the other amp (Pharaoh is before the ABY) and it adds that good muffy gushy sound. Mmmmmmmmmm. Only downside is it's a bit noisy at loud volumes, but only when it's not being used like in between songs or what not, so you can easily stomp it off. But it sounds BEST at LOUD volumes. We play loud and it rules.

Another one I absolutely love is the TAFM. I know some people don't think it's muff sounding but I think it can definitely get a muff type of sound. It also stacks well but just get's way way more crazy and thicker and noisy (in sound not in defect). It's super versatile because you can also set it as a light crunchy boost, a dirty volume boost, or a thick wall of fuzz. But, it really isn't straight MUFF if you're looking for straight MUFF. I wouldn't put it up against a Ram's Head if you were looking for a Ram's Head. I love Ram Heads and Triangles. I want to try a really well built Triangle. Last one I tried was made by DannyW and it was so awesome. I've been trying to play a W&C Tri-Pie but have no reason to buy another muff. I already have the two I mentioned as well as a BLUEBEARD. Another awesome, more RAM HEAD sounding MUFF. Sweet in the mids, thick on the low end, and smooth on the gain.

But really, Pharaoh with the germanium option and you won't regret it. I hear Supercolliders are also awesome but I've never tried one. Same with the Musket and Blunderbuss.
chillerthanmost

Supporter
Supporter

Postby skullservant » Fri Dec 27, 2013 5:25 pm

I can also attest to the Bluebeard. It's got the heaviness of something like the Tall Font, but then it's also got the clarity of a Triangle which is almost unmatchable. SO GOOD
skullservant

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby pelliott » Fri Dec 27, 2013 6:45 pm

skullservant wrote:Big Green Pi because it rules and there are switches on the inside for different sounds as well (never actually played one but it is based off of my original Tall Font Sovtek muff)
Tall Font from Wren and Cuff if you want a straight up Tall Font clone that sounds closer to the real thing than I've ever heard. Also very small.
Rams Head variant if you want to use it for leads (Possibly the MASF Lavender Head, I've heard it is awesome and the tweaked Tone Stack is great too)

I'm going to vote for a Russian/Rams Head variant OR the Bluebeard. That and the Sparkle Motion into the Superbass will sound ridiculous.

The Pharaoh will do this very well, too. Perhaps just Pharaoh > SB > amp will tickle your fancy.
pelliott

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby odontophobia » Fri Dec 27, 2013 6:55 pm

Ancient Astronaught wrote:Like has been said here the Pharaoh is a board staple for a reason, great low gain or high gain sounds, super awesome EQ, and it stacks amazingly, the one caveat is that it loves to be put through a loud amp. If you play at bedroom volumes alot you may find your self wanting something more, but if you play out a lot or you crank it while your jamming at home you'll love it.

For truth.

I had been playing at lower volumes and liked my Pharaoh alright. Then I upped my volume and set the fuzz fairly low. Fuzzrocious Demon King at low gain into Pharaoh at low gain was absolutely killer. The volume was punishing in the best sense of the word.

At lower volumes I was harping on it pretty hard and ready to flip it for something else.
:picard:

Stacked with some drive or hitting the front end of an amp can get you into some awesome places.
odontophobia

Supporter
Supporter

Postby theAntihero » Fri Dec 27, 2013 7:26 pm

Im more of a fan of the Supercollider than the Pharoah although i will say that the pharaoh stacks very well
Great trades with : Officer Bukowski, Bklingman, Jero, Jrmy,ethanxcampos, whiskey_face, doctorpoopenstein420, terminator
theAntihero

experienced
experienced

Postby Uncle Grandfather » Fri Dec 27, 2013 7:40 pm

Rams Head, or the v3 Big muff which used the same circuit board just different transistors. i can attest they sound very similar.

Eau Clair Thunder, think its available in kit form now too. Its a russian muff clone with some very useful additions.
Uncle Grandfather

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Next

Return to ilovedoom.org