Help me build a (cheap) funeral doom rig

Re: Help me build a (cheap) funeral doom rig

Postby Krosis » Fri Dec 20, 2013 4:44 pm

Are there any decent, readily available HM-2 clones other than the Berhinger?
samzadgan wrote:You could come back and Matt Pike actually played classical guitar and studied really hard, didn't drink or smoke, and was now high paid Lawyer who spend most of his free time on TGP talking about how much his Les Paul weighs and how that makes the tone better than a Les Paul that weighs 0.05lb less.

new05002 wrote:I heard it does not work for kids who dont like black sabbath and sleep so there you go.
Krosis

experienced
experienced

Postby ryan summit » Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:40 pm

wren n cuff just made one
the hangman
we talked about it
does "decent,readily available" mean cheap
cause that it aint
you do have black jeans,correct?
you gotta keep this goin
pics of the funeral rig
and what it sounds like
people usually shy away from organy shifters
but maybe that would add some flayva in this case
oh shit
JERSEY FUNERAL DOOM
i totally want some of that
ryan summit

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Krosis » Sat Dec 21, 2013 4:10 pm

Well, I fiddled around with my gear for a bit. After some messing around, I got pretty darn close to what I was looking for from my Micro Terror and Bad Monkey with the Epi in C# standard. These things are full of surprises.
samzadgan wrote:You could come back and Matt Pike actually played classical guitar and studied really hard, didn't drink or smoke, and was now high paid Lawyer who spend most of his free time on TGP talking about how much his Les Paul weighs and how that makes the tone better than a Les Paul that weighs 0.05lb less.

new05002 wrote:I heard it does not work for kids who dont like black sabbath and sleep so there you go.
Krosis

experienced
experienced

Postby Krosis » Sat Dec 21, 2013 4:12 pm

ryan summit wrote:wren n cuff just made one
the hangman
we talked about it
does "decent,readily available" mean cheap
cause that it aint
you do have black jeans,correct?
you gotta keep this goin
pics of the funeral rig
and what it sounds like
people usually shy away from organy shifters
but maybe that would add some flayva in this case
oh shit
JERSEY FUNERAL DOOM
i totally want some of that

The Hangman is a little out of my price range. But I do have black jeans :lol:

Krosis

experienced
experienced

Postby theAntihero » Sat Dec 21, 2013 6:42 pm

The Micro Terror is quite an amp, i love mine.

Does yours have any problem running at 4ohms? Mine will sort of cut out with high volumes and gain, apparently im overdriving the SS power amp and it starts to clip from what Orange tells me.
Great trades with : Officer Bukowski, Bklingman, Jero, Jrmy,ethanxcampos, whiskey_face, doctorpoopenstein420, terminator
theAntihero

experienced
experienced

Postby HeavyXIII » Sat Dec 21, 2013 9:14 pm

I would have figured with that many dirt pedals you should be able to tweak pretty damn close to what you were looking for. For some reason I associate funeral doom with a much smoother sound than other stoner/doom/sludge bands.

Just for the record, does Pallbearer count as funeral doom? I also seem to think that a subtle chorus or reverb might add to the sound. You might want to look at bands with a gothic influence like Type O Negative. They fucking love bathing their sounds in chorus.
Good Deal List: bearbeams, pena_55, sonidero, greyscales, ChetMagongalo, xchristophex, Monkey Boy, krautrocker, osbornkt

D.o.S. wrote:Like, I don't just listen to Whores when I'm sitting alone in my room with the lights off staring at a wall. Sometimes I listen to it with the lights on, too.

Carkoon, my Posty, Doomy, Dadcore band
FACEBOOK | https://www.facebook.com/carkoondoom/
BANDCAMP | https://carkoon.bandcamp.com/releases
HeavyXIII

experienced
experienced

Postby dub » Sat Dec 21, 2013 9:15 pm

I think a RAT would work well.
MATAMPS & TRASHED GUITARS
trades: Eric!, johndammit, Holy Schnikes, TheDandy, chatmatt, skullservant, intothegroove, Boxbie, bob the r0bot, sergiomunoz74, Laowiz, DannDubbleEwe, coldbrightsunlight
dub

committed
committed

Postby misterstomach » Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:55 pm

humancertainty wrote:Honestly, I'd worry more about the riffs than the rig.

If the volume and size of the amp isn't an issue, I'm sure you'll be able to do just fine with what you already have.

i'm going to agree with will here. as has been said, a lot of funeral doom bands use more traditional "metal band" type of gear. you're a lot more likely to find mesas or 5150's than you would be in your typical stoner or sludge band. but there's also plenty of gear nerd bands using vintage amps and boutique fuzz or whatever. theres not so much in the way of gear standards for that genre. for home playing, you're probably fine with what you have. just dial in a good heavy sound. i'd probably just use the revelation, possibly in some combination with the bad monkey if you can find a good stacked sound and worry about the riffs. chorus and delay is pretty common on the cleans for funeral doom. and a good delay will help with the mournful and depressed leads.
ryan summit wrote:Damn these fuckin bullshit techherpes
misterstomach

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Krosis » Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:50 pm

My Bad Monkey and Revelation don't seem to be on the same page when I try to stack them.

I put my MXR Micro Chorus on my board. It's a little noisy (I have to engage my ISP) but it helps get me more of a good atmosphere. I'm getting a delay for Xmas so I'm looking forward to throwing that in too.

Krosis

experienced
experienced

Postby ryan summit » Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:57 pm

delay for xmas
thats freakin awesome
ryan summit

Supporter
Supporter

Postby John Matrix » Tue Dec 24, 2013 1:29 am

Krosis wrote:My Bad Monkey and Revelation don't seem to be on the same page when I try to stack them.

I put my MXR Micro Chorus on my board. It's a little noisy (I have to engage my ISP) but it helps get me more of a good atmosphere. I'm getting a delay for Xmas so I'm looking forward to throwing that in too.

That delay plus some saturated distortion should do the trick. Also a dark room and drippy candles.
John Matrix

experienced
experienced

Postby emptyparadigm » Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:12 pm

If the volume and size of the amp isn't an issue, I'm sure you'll be able to do just fine with what you already have.

This. In fact, I wish this was mentioned more for all styles of doom-esque music. Yes, it's easy to get "that" sound with certain amps and pedals, but there are TONS of bands who get "doom" sounds with everything from Teles and semihollows into a variety of unpopular tube and SS heads. :thumb:
KHEMMIS. Doomed heavy metal. DECEIVER out 11/19/21 on Nuclear Blast.

GLACIAL TOMB. Misanthropic death/black/sludge. S/t debut out now on Gilead Media.

Good deals with: Ancient Astronaught, conky, crohny, D-Day, Corey Y, ryan summit, tons more here and on HCFX under this username
emptyparadigm

experienced
experienced

Postby humancertainty » Tue Dec 31, 2013 4:46 pm

emptyparadigm wrote:

This. In fact, I wish this was mentioned more for all styles of doom-esque music. Yes, it's easy to get "that" sound with certain amps and pedals, but there are TONS of bands who get "doom" sounds with everything from Teles and semihollows into a variety of unpopular tube and SS heads. :thumb:

Yeah. Absolutely. One example that immediately comes to mind is Facedowninshit. Crumer had the cheapest, shittiest rig and it still sounded great.
My band:
http://anatomyofhabit.bandcamp.com/

misterstomach wrote:12 string, hollow body and tremolo are all terms where you lose me.
humancertainty

committed
committed

Postby Bossk » Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:05 am

I actually use a bugera 6260 and the distortion on it really pulls it through. With funeral doom you might want to use your amps distortion as opposed to an OD or a fuzz. Mournful Congregation just uses the marshall distortion with a booster sometimes.
Bossk

committed
committed

Postby Bossk » Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:06 am

And bugeras are relatively cheap. And despite some naysayers beliefs, mine has been reliable the last 6 years.
Bossk

committed
committed

PreviousNext

Return to ilovedoom.org