Half n half

Half n half

Postby Iommic Pope » Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:07 am

Ok, so, I raised this in the Room the other day, but nobody answered my inane ravings....mostly because they are inane.
But, I have an angled 4x12, in bits.
I want to (maybe) spin it around backwards, box in the bottom for a sealed 2x12, and have the top angled half left open (the angle would now be at the back). Reason being, there is some damage to the actual cab in some strange spots, blah, blah, and it would be cool....I think.
Also, von TIll.

Would it be cool?
I'm not bothered about the whole "too much work" argument, its more for shits and giggles, just want to know if anyone as tried a combo of both sealed and opens and what you thought.
WWPD?
fcknoise wrote:You are all fucking tryhard effort posting nerds

Invisible Man wrote:I'm probably the most humble person I know. I feel good about smelling my own butthole.

Jesus Was a Robot wrote:Did you just assume Billy Corgan's dildo preference??
Iommic Pope

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Re: Half n half

Postby skullservant » Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:21 am

That sounds like a pretty cool idea. I feel like some Ampegs have had that combo before of open and closed but I could be totally wrong.
skullservant

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby The Wood Wizard » Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:00 pm

you got pics of the cab and a drawing of your idea? I dont totally follow what you got goin there.

BUT Its prolly an awesome idea and im totally for DIY stuff all the time, the more insane the better.
I make guitars and stuff, check it out at...

THE WOOD WIZARD

:doom:
The Wood Wizard

experienced
experienced

Postby Iommic Pope » Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:20 am

Cheers guys.
I might look into that ampeg design, Skully. Thanks man!
TJ, I'll post a diagram when I can get off my arse and draw one up. Basically, take an angled 4x12, mount the speakers where the rear baffle is, box in the rectangular lower half for the sealed section (hot!) and then leave the top angled bit open backed.
WWPD?

Invisible Man wrote:I'm probably the most humble person I know. I feel good about smelling my own butthole.

Iommic Pope

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby The Wood Wizard » Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:55 pm

ohhh I see, FUCK yeah do that shit!

THE WOOD WIZARD

The Wood Wizard

experienced
experienced

Postby misterstomach » Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:18 pm

some of my favorite 4x12 cabs in the world are those old mesa cabs that are sealed bottom and open top. they sound awesome. they have killer speakers though. i've always thought i liked them better when folks fully sealed them. but who knows? they definitely sound great stock.

why turn it backwards though? why not just build a divider and keep it forwards?
ryan summit wrote:Damn these fuckin bullshit techherpes
misterstomach

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Iommic Pope » Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:41 am

OK, so backwards cause: 1. when I bought it, I didn't see that underneath the tolex in one corner the dude had dropped it and then repaired the entire corner by half assedly nailing it back together from the inside, so I gotta get in there and fix that damage up.
2. Aesthetically, I hate angled cabs. Initially, I just got it cause anything was better than the cab I had and this one was cheap (due to the damage. I spit chips when I found that out).
3. Corrosion used this tiny angled wedge 2x12 on the In the Arms of God album and loved it (that album sounds like miracle tits) so I thought it would be cool to try a combo of nice tight sealed 2x12 in conjunction with the projection of the open back. The angle on the top reverse should mean less surface area and more dissipation/crazy projection of sound. (its a loose theory, I know).

Yeah, von Till uses those mesas, that's kind what got me into the idea to start with. I have heard they used different speakers for each section of varying intensities of sexiness.
I wanna move to a stereo rig as well so I'm hoping one side will be a tight kind of distortion sound into a sealed 6x12 (1 4x12 and a 2x12) and the other will be more fuzzy/sludgy into potentially this cab.
Does that make sense? Or would you do it differently?
I'm asking what you guys think as I know you've all had a lot of experience with different gear and all input is appreciated.
I value your thought and opinions :hug:
WWPD?

Iommic Pope

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby The Wood Wizard » Sat Aug 03, 2013 12:54 pm

do it now. never know till you try. you can fiddle faddle all day dreaming but till you cut that bitch up and cock out hard you aint nothin!

I think itll sound really cool too.

THE WOOD WIZARD

The Wood Wizard

experienced
experienced

Postby Iommic Pope » Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:37 pm

Ha! Yeah man, I'm notorious for starting shit, getting it disassembled and then kind of leaving it go to pasture. I wanna build a 4x12 (maybe a 6x12) as well, so I'm hoping once I can track down some decent quality ply I can start. We've only just got the baltic birch ply down here, and I can't get anyone to give me a clear quote on it, but if I can find a couple of sheets at the right price I've got a few things lined up I wanna get onto.
Don't think I won't be leaning on your ass for tips and pointers either! I'm gonna need all the help I can get.

Thanks dude, I think it could sound really cool as well.
WWPD?

Iommic Pope

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Return to ilovedoom.org