Doom Room 1 knob Muff Group DIY

Doom Room 1 knob Muff Group DIY

Postby new05002 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:45 pm

1 knob modified LBMP for the Doom Room:

Sustain knob removed, gain maximum all the time.
Tone switch changed to internal tone trimmer called "Color"
Volume control labelled "Dose"

Wide variety of modificatons that can be done including EQ/Tone stack mods, transistor swapping, stage biasing ect ect

Scheme Ver1.0

PCB Ver1.0

Rough Graphic Draft

Last edited by new05002 on Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:26 pm, edited 5 times in total.
new05002

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Re: Doom Room 1 knob Muff Group DIY

Postby Ancient Astronaught » Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:55 pm

SO after our little Acid King discussion I brought up that I had not seen a clone of that particular little big muff pi before (the one knob one tone switch gain always dimed LBMP) that Lori uses. So me and Nick were discussing doing a small run of PCB's for DIY builds because its a relatively simple circuit and we could make a PCB that fits in a small 1590a enclosure. My initial idea was to add larger input / output caps, a 9v boss style power adapter, and a mids toggle, BUT that most likely would not fit in a 1590A enclosure. Nick was thinking if we could scale it down to just one knob we could put it in a 1590a. So... I'm thinking of just doing a single volume knob, gain dimed, set in the low tone position version. Would be kinda like the fake knob Left Hand Path or the oath, in that the effect is always dimed except that you would have a volume knob.

I had a couple ideas for the pedal name: (in honor of the real Acid King)
Timothy Leary
Dr. Leary
The Marsh Chapel (my current fav)

And Nick brought up having the enclosures etched so this was my contribution:

Iommic Pope wrote:Skip, you rule. You hate people so much, you're willing to discredit all human progress, its awesome.
Ancient Astronaught

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby new05002 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:57 pm

I can draft a Eagle CAD scheme up based on that schematic I posted with built in areas for mods. I could develop the build documents as well.
new05002

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby D.o.S. » Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:02 pm

Obvs. down.

Got no DIY skills to speak of, though.

My vote is for the Kasso face re:etching. That's some scary shit.

Possibly 'Dusthead' if you're looking at the name being surrounded by that sort of shwag, as well as perpetuating the DAM shenanigans with the one-knob job.
good deals are here.
escapecraft is here.
UglyCasanova wrote: It's not the expensive programs you use, it's the way you click and drag.

Achtane wrote:
comesect2.0 wrote:Michael Jackson king tut little Richard in your butt.

IT'S THE ENNNND OF THE WORRRLD AS WE KNOW IT
D.o.S.

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby new05002 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:21 pm

Magic suggests that we should convert it to a 1590B due to size issues.
new05002

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby skullservant » Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:26 pm

Sounds cool to me! Why not do 125b (just a tad larger) for the top mounted jacks??? :doom:
skullservant

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby bigmufffuzzwizz » Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:28 pm

Great idea! Had no idea Lori used a muff variant..but not surprising based on her sound. I'm all about muffs and building every variant somday (got at least 15+ still to do) so this being another makes it a must do!
There's some good points, increased caps, 9v power supply, mids toggle sound awesome. 1590A muffs are do-able by all means but not the most simple execution. The 1 knob makes it more feasible even though you can get 4-6 9mm alpha pots in a 1590a without struggle. Muff's have at least 40 components so while the building blocks are simple it's not the lowest part count build (think of fuzz face, any boost, tonebender, lots of fuzzes). A guy on did a 3 knob 1590A version that he's selling pcbs for..I'll post pics of his build to show some examples. I think this would lean more towards an advanced build due to working in a tiny space, jacks must be drilled very specifically. The thing that would make this most do able is SMD but that is not something that most newbs wanna tackle.
Were you thinking to have this contracted by someone or just an available DIY project? I'm up for helping where I can on this. Nothing I like more than muffs

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v158/ ... 3f5a33.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v158/ ... 5da197.jpg
bigmufffuzzwizz

involved
involved

Postby new05002 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:29 pm

125B or 1590B. Something to think about. I can develop a board with which has the 1 pot mounted on the board so minimize the size
new05002

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby new05002 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:30 pm

I was thinking DIY kit, as I dont have time to make people pedals as we already know.
new05002

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby bigmufffuzzwizz » Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:31 pm

Here's my 1590b muffs for reference..You could probably do top mounted jacks in 1590b is dc power goes on sides below in/out jacks.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =3&theater
Last edited by bigmufffuzzwizz on Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bigmufffuzzwizz

involved
involved

Postby bigmufffuzzwizz » Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:32 pm

new05002 wrote:I was thinking DIY kit, as I dont have time to make people pedals as we already know.

I might be down to do a limited run of 10 if interests is there. Of course after the most precious Dunwich fxs :thumb:
bigmufffuzzwizz

involved
involved

Postby new05002 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:33 pm

lulz. If you so desire.
new05002

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby t-rey » Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:38 pm

Ancient Astronaught wrote:SO after our little Acid King discussion I brought up that I had not seen a clone of that particular little big muff pi before (the one knob one tone switch gain always dimed LBMP) that Lori uses. So me and Nick were discussing doing a small run of PCB's for DIY builds because its a relatively simple circuit and we could make a PCB that fits in a small 1590a enclosure. My initial idea was to add larger input / output caps, a 9v boss style power adapter, and a mids toggle, BUT that most likely would not fit in a 1590A enclosure. Nick was thinking if we could scale it down to just one knob we could put it in a 1590a. So... I'm thinking of just doing a single volume knob, gain dimed, set in the low tone position version. Would be kinda like the fake knob Left Hand Path or the oath, in that the effect is always dimed except that you would have a volume knob.

I had a couple ideas for the pedal name: (in honor of the real Acid King)
Timothy Leary
Dr. Leary
The Marsh Chapel (my current fav)

And Nick brought up having the enclosures etched so this was my contribution:

I love everything about your ideas. LSD chem etching. Leary themed names. One knob so I can't fuck up the toanz.

Alas I has no soldering skills. But I still may try.
t-rey

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby AngryGoldfish » Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:39 pm

In. I'd love to help out with this in any way possible. Maybe I could help out with investment and then build a few for the European market. Or we could get Moose to do it. Either way, I'm in.
Catalinbread⁞⁞Earthquaker Devices⁞⁞Strymon⁞⁞Smallsound/Bigsound
Iron Ether⁞⁞Black Arts Toneworks⁞⁞Dr. Scientist⁞⁞Fairfield Circuitry
Tom Anderson⁞⁞Ibanez⁞⁞Guild⁞⁞Gretsch⁞⁞Fryette⁞⁞Audio Kitchen

Doom Room - type fast, riff slow
AngryGoldfish

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby samzadgan » Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:59 pm

I'm in...not sure how i can contribute, but i would definitely buy one...then i'd have to find someone to build it
AxAxSxS wrote:...if its a loud tube amp.... :doom:

Iommic Pope wrote:Amps first, makeup sex later.
samzadgan

IAMILF
IAMILF

Next

Return to ilovedoom.org