DOOM songwriting/composition.

DOOM songwriting/composition.

Postby The Wood Wizard » Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:13 pm

Hey all. Im pretty guilty of spending most of my guitaring time just either riffing or soloing all over the place. Id like to start taking these ideas and making something substantial more often than I do.. Also this is kinda a cool topic that I feel doesnt get much attention in the genre.

How do you write your doom riffs and doomy songs? what kind of song structure do you use/ like? How do you keep a 120 minute song interesting? How do you keep in time when you play 6 notes over a 20 minute span?

Stuff like that.

:snax:
I make guitars and stuff, check it out at...

THE WOOD WIZARD

:doom:
The Wood Wizard

experienced
experienced

Re: DOOM songwriting/composition.

Postby HeavyXIII » Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:23 pm

Personally I've gotten away from soloing for the most part, it almost always sounds wanky and never really meshes with whatever my motif is. I've taken to recording everything I play for reference, the only problem was that I would have 50 minute recordings that were poorly organized and hard to listen to. What I started doing recently was leaving the recorder off, and playing until I happen upon something really cool; then the recorder comes back on. I've gotten into playing with dynamics more recently, and giving myself time to consider how best to record the changes has helped.

Having a drummer would help too, because many of my ideas become stuck without a drummer to provide me some type of rhythm to help everything groove and gel.
Good Deal List: bearbeams, pena_55, sonidero, greyscales, ChetMagongalo, xchristophex, Monkey Boy, krautrocker, osbornkt

D.o.S. wrote:Like, I don't just listen to Whores when I'm sitting alone in my room with the lights off staring at a wall. Sometimes I listen to it with the lights on, too.

Carkoon, my Posty, Doomy, Dadcore band
FACEBOOK | https://www.facebook.com/carkoondoom/
BANDCAMP | https://carkoon.bandcamp.com/releases
HeavyXIII

experienced
experienced

Postby samzadgan » Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:14 am

well...firstly, i don't solo, because I'm not good enough for it, and i just don't seem to come up with anything that sounds good. Riffs on the other hand i find much easier to come up with for some reason.

As far as the song composition goes...the songs i write are about 8 mins, that's my standard, and within those 8 mins i center the whole thing around 3 or 4 big riffs. Then its about coming up with smaller parts that either link the main riffs together, are octave up or down of the same riff or some other derivative of a main riff, and I always have a couple of parts that are completely different just to give the song a break. I also have a fair but of acoustic parts in my songs which really help keep the song fresh and makes the big riffs even bigger when you come out of a slow atmospheric acoustic.

My main problem is that i have no concept of timing...the good thing about the current band is that I come up with the music...play it to the bass player (who has better timing than our drummer), we then play it together to get the timing right and amend if needed. once the riffs are set and structure is done, then we come up with melodies over the parts and then come up with lyrics. After all that is done we then go to rehearsal studio and rehears it with the drummer.
AxAxSxS wrote:...if its a loud tube amp.... :doom:

Iommic Pope wrote:Amps first, makeup sex later.
samzadgan

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Greenfuz » Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:42 am

find cool sabbath song

play it in drop e or something

rearrange bits

slow down riff

???

doom!
Greenfuz

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Achtane » Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:02 am

Greenfuz wrote:find cool sabbath song

play it in drop e or something

rearrange bits

slow down riff

???

doom!

:lol:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Louy7zH9guw
sonidero wrote:Roll a plus 13 for fire and with my immunity to wack I dodge the cough and pass a turn to chill and look at these rocks...

kbithecrowing wrote:Making out with my girl friday night, I couldn't stop thinking about flangers.

Achtane

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby AxAxSxS » Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:33 am

We dont really "write" our songs, they kinda just happen during jams and then if we like it enough we try to remember what we did and refine it. I record everything and thats a big help as far as keeping ideas.
Band=InfiniteFlux Flux on Bandcamp
"Ingenuity comes in the face of adversity, and nobody ever becomes a legend by following the rules set by society" -A.A.
Corey Y wrote:it's not obsessive gear hoarding. ;)

Infinite Flux full sets and demo's on youtube
whiskey_face wrote:that girl can fucking hit lemme tell you :love: :lol:

https://infiniteflux.bandcamp.com/
AxAxSxS

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby LOCOPELAND » Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:27 pm

^^^ That, and we're both doom riff machines! :doom:

:ilw: :ilw: :ilw:
:ilw:

nightterrors wrote:Except fuzz, fuzz all the time.
LOCOPELAND

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby AxAxSxS » Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:33 pm

:lol: we're probably not that helpfull. "It just, like, you know, happens, mannnnnnnnnn"
"Ingenuity comes in the face of adversity, and nobody ever becomes a legend by following the rules set by society" -A.A.

AxAxSxS

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby The Wood Wizard » Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:43 pm

I find that having a drummer around makes things sooo much easier. having a pule to groove on makes all the difference. I should start recording everything I do too. It seems i hit the red button and nothing good happens, but if the machines off I make golden earshowers that i forget the next day ahah
I make guitars and stuff, check it out at...

THE WOOD WIZARD

:doom:
The Wood Wizard

experienced
experienced

Postby AxAxSxS » Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:56 pm

I've found that "OMG YOU ARE RECORDING!!!" tends to get everyone tense. But eventually they get used to it and forget about it, except when something good came out, then its "You recorded that right?" People get used to it.
I'd suggest recording yourself with the intention of not even listening to it. just jam out and when you are done, erase it. That will help you get in the right mindset.
The final take on one of our demo songs for drums I lied to him and told him I was not recording. It was a section that was giving him fits so I told him to just play it a couple times and get loose with it and we'd start trying to record again in a bit. The very next take was the keeper.

AxAxSxS

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Jero » Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:26 pm

Load bowl. Smoke bowl. Strum strings. DONE.

This isn't for doom specifically, but the record everything route is what we used to do. We were comfortable enough with each other that no one gave a shat if someone else messed up for a sec, or couldn't immediately come up with something. But yea, it was mostly just riffing until it turned into something we all liked. Again, not doom specific, so I apologize for being no help whatsoever :facepalm:
I make noise toys under Stomping Stones

oldangelmidnight wrote:This is the classic ILF I love. Emotional highs and lows. Scooped mids in my heart all day long.
Jero

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby HeavyXIII » Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:56 am

Jero wrote:Load bowl. Smoke bowl. Strum strings. DONE.

This isn't for doom specifically, but the record everything route is what we used to do. We were comfortable enough with each other that no one gave a shat if someone else messed up for a sec, or couldn't immediately come up with something. But yea, it was mostly just riffing until it turned into something we all liked. Again, not doom specific, so I apologize for being no help whatsoever :facepalm:

Not a waste at all, it just goes to credit the organic jammy mindset that seems to come with the doom/stoner territory. As I recall, Kyuss wrote all of their music before Sky Valley/Self Titled in jam sessions, and Blues for the Red Sun is one of the best albums in existence.
Good Deal List: bearbeams, pena_55, sonidero, greyscales, ChetMagongalo, xchristophex, Monkey Boy, krautrocker, osbornkt

D.o.S. wrote:Like, I don't just listen to Whores when I'm sitting alone in my room with the lights off staring at a wall. Sometimes I listen to it with the lights on, too.

Carkoon, my Posty, Doomy, Dadcore band
FACEBOOK | https://www.facebook.com/carkoondoom/
BANDCAMP | https://carkoon.bandcamp.com/releases
HeavyXIII

experienced
experienced

Return to ilovedoom.org