Dopesmoker...

Dopesmoker...

Postby mc_muench » Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:07 am

Is it cool if I just start a thread completely dedicated to that MONOLITHICLLY heavy defining epic that is Dopesmoker?

Yeah?

I mow my lawn to it, Im usually finishing the last few strips when it comes to close. I listen to it on vinyl at least every other day if not everyday, some days multiple times. I keep track of time/lose time to it. I love it, hands down my favorite heavy song, in my top 5 albums. Has majorly influenced my life.

Matts take off into the first solo...UUUUUUUUUUUUUUGGGHhhhHh. THE TONE. BA BA BA BA BAAAAAAAAAAAA BA BA.

Al is GOD. Just the mixing and tone on his bass/sub bass on the newest remaster on vinyl is MAMMOTH. What I want I want to sound like.

The story behind it, like a love story.

Its perfect.

Some day I will cover it live from start to finish...just need to find the right people to do it justice, canoe down the groove river that SLEEP carved.

AM I CRAZY? :animal: :!!!:
Rev. DOOM, The Dude of DOOM, DOOMER, El DOOMerino, if you're not into the whole brevity thing...

PVYHenge ~|~ Bear amps ○)))

http://vegawi.bandcamp.com
http://galactichatchet.bandcamp.com
mc_muench

committed
committed

Re: Dopesmoker...

Postby kbit » Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:30 am

That first solo is pretty fucking sweet.
D.o.S. wrote:I'm fucking stupid and no one should operate under any other premise.
kbit

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby aen » Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:10 am

mc_muench wrote: the mixing and tone on his bass/sub bass on the newest remaster on vinyl is MAMMOTH. What I want I want to sound like.

I was saying on twitter a while back, I need to get a Dopesmoker T-shirt, just for when I go into someone elses studio. If they have any questions about the bass tone, I just point to it.
Chankgeez wrote:
DWARFCRAFT: We are not fucking around this year.
aen

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby AxAxSxS » Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:17 pm

I like to start my morning out with it. Sets the tone for the day. Is it weird that I find it mellow and relaxing?
Band=InfiniteFlux Flux on Bandcamp
"Ingenuity comes in the face of adversity, and nobody ever becomes a legend by following the rules set by society" -A.A.
Corey Y wrote:it's not obsessive gear hoarding. ;)

Infinite Flux full sets and demo's on youtube
whiskey_face wrote:that girl can fucking hit lemme tell you :love: :lol:

https://infiniteflux.bandcamp.com/
AxAxSxS

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby mc_muench » Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:06 pm

No, i find it relaxing as well, it has a certain trance inducing quality, it takes your mind on a sonic journey. Ive fallen asleep to it multiple times, the fuzz is like a warm glass of milk.

But i can also find it driving, riding a bike to it quite fun and the hour goes by pretty quick. Pedaling to the the groove of the song. And when the song ends turn around and listen to Bongripper Great Barrier Reefer on the way home.
Rev. DOOM, The Dude of DOOM, DOOMER, El DOOMerino, if you're not into the whole brevity thing...

PVYHenge ~|~ Bear amps ○)))

http://vegawi.bandcamp.com
http://galactichatchet.bandcamp.com
mc_muench

committed
committed

Postby D.o.S. » Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:52 pm

I've listened to it a lot. Life-changing. Al's bass tone (and the rhythm section in general) is higher in the mix on the Tee Pee version. You should listen to that one. It's better. Also easier to jam along to...which is a great way to get super intimate with C.
good deals are here.
escapecraft is here.
UglyCasanova wrote: It's not the expensive programs you use, it's the way you click and drag.

Achtane wrote:
comesect2.0 wrote:Michael Jackson king tut little Richard in your butt.

IT'S THE ENNNND OF THE WORRRLD AS WE KNOW IT
D.o.S.

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby new05002 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:02 pm

yea its sort of a mythic thing, like you kind of remember the first time you listened to it. I guess I was a bit late to the party as some people had to like wait til it even became the Jerusalem version before the Billy Anderson mix came out in a proper release.
new05002

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Iommic Pope » Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:01 pm

Yeah dude it's definitely great for realigning your alpha waves. But I find I'm calmer when I drive listening to slayer. Best song ever. Imagine an album of dope smokers, laid out over like twelve seperate chapters. It's like Hindu concept of The cycles of brahma, or the notion of the ever expanding and contracting universe.
WWPD?
fcknoise wrote:You are all fucking tryhard effort posting nerds

Invisible Man wrote:I'm probably the most humble person I know. I feel good about smelling my own butthole.

Jesus Was a Robot wrote:Did you just assume Billy Corgan's dildo preference??
Iommic Pope

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby sonidero » Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:06 pm

I got the Green LP's but now they have Purple so I guess I have to get two Lp's...
"Personal Growth Through Guitar Pedals"
sonidero

Supporter
Supporter

Postby pelliott » Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:59 pm

I have the blue LP. The Record Store Day edition was in "Indica and Hasheeshian" which was hilariously shark-jumpy to me. As if this song could jump the shark.

I love cooking while blasting Dopesmoker, personally. Just a very laid-back hour for me.
pelliott

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby crohny » Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:36 am

this record changed music for me so much i got the cover art tattooed on my arm.
crohny

committed
committed

Postby AxAxSxS » Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:48 am

Honestly, the first few times I tried to listen to it, I just couldn't do it. My brain was to set in instant gratification mode, I just didn't have the time to invest and the right frame of mind to actually do it justice.
Then one night I was having another freak out insomniac restless ptsd kinda thing going on. Could not Sleep. So I figured I'd give it another shot.
I listened to it twice, all the way through.
It didn't help me sleep like I thought it would. It helped me SLEEP though. So good, been hooked ever since. I just put it on now. Fuck yeah spotify.
I need to get the vinyl and some decent speakers, or maybe just hook it to the PA.
Band=InfiniteFlux Flux on Bandcamp
"Ingenuity comes in the face of adversity, and nobody ever becomes a legend by following the rules set by society" -A.A.
Corey Y wrote:it's not obsessive gear hoarding. ;)

Infinite Flux full sets and demo's on youtube
whiskey_face wrote:that girl can fucking hit lemme tell you :love: :lol:

https://infiniteflux.bandcamp.com/
AxAxSxS

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Joe Gress » Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:29 am

First time I listened to it I got sunburned as fuck laying out in the park one spring when I was a teen.

Listened to it plenty more times after that.

That sunburn itched and hurt for weeks though.
awesome signature with witty quotes from all you fuckers :)
Joe Gress

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby benjuro » Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:22 am

It's amazing how this monolithic piece of music continues to affect us.
It had a huge impact on me as a musician and a player, maybe more than anything since I first heard Hendrix or Sabbath. I love most things High on Fire and OM as well, but there's something intensely powerful in those 63 minutes that's yet to be equalled for me. I'm with D.o.S.--the Dopesmoker version on TeePee is preferable to the Jerusalem on TMC I have...and I think the newest Southern Lord version is one of two cds I bought last year.
A few friends and I used to designate a time at my house every once in a while where we could get together, sit back, inhale, and let the riffs massage and pummel us.
Special low-frequency version.
benjuro

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby ooop » Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:04 pm

aen wrote:
mc_muench wrote: the mixing and tone on his bass/sub bass on the newest remaster on vinyl is MAMMOTH. What I want I want to sound like.

I was saying on twitter a while back, I need to get a Dopesmoker T-shirt, just for when I go into someone elses studio. If they have any questions about the bass tone, I just point to it.

Will trade dopesmoker t-shirt plus $$ for rainbow machine!
ooop

committed
committed

Next

Return to ilovedoom.org