the DOOM WORKOUT



Re: the DOOM WORKOUT

Postby new05002 » Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:49 am

http://instagram.com/p/jMiWLOO9Rk/

315 x 5, a bit rough. I think my max was like 330-335 at the same time.
new05002

User avatar
IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS
 
Posts: 3870
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:07 pm

Re: the DOOM WORKOUT

Postby AngryGoldfish » Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:23 pm

I was talking the other day to a friend that is aged around 50-55. He was over for dinner. How it came up in conversation I don't know, but he asked me what I thought fitness meant, and I answered functional strength. Although that's not the entirety of my answer, it sparked a further debate where I pointed out how someone could quite easily deadlift 500lbs without taking drugs, without experiencing heart troubles, without overheating and all whilst living a happy, healthy life. He couldn't seem to believe it.

You did it in just two years. Fuckin' ay.
Catalinbread⁞⁞Earthquaker Devices⁞⁞Strymon⁞⁞Smallsound/Bigsound
Iron Ether⁞⁞Black Arts Toneworks⁞⁞Dr. Scientist⁞⁞Fairfield Circuitry
Tom Anderson⁞⁞Ibanez⁞⁞Guild⁞⁞Gretsch⁞⁞Fryette⁞⁞Audio Kitchen

Doom Room - type fast, riff slow
AngryGoldfish

User avatar
IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS
 
Posts: 3528
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:57 pm
Location: Ireland

Re: the DOOM WORKOUT

Postby new05002 » Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:29 pm

I remember Vid telling me that it was not easy to get to 227 kg - 500# or so. I had originally thought I could achieve it by the year mark but I think my training lacked that kind of focus and only in the past 3-4 months has it become so hyperfocused to allow for certain kind of growth. Even tho I do not deadlift conventionally more than say 1 time a month, I am doing so much pulling off the floor in general (clean/snatch, pulls, clean/snatch deadlift) that you can build up that strength indirectly, also lots of squatting.
new05002

User avatar
IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS
 
Posts: 3870
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:07 pm

Re: the DOOM WORKOUT

Postby AngryGoldfish » Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:38 pm

Yeah, "easy" was not the word I used when talking to my friend, but I have seen many people do it, and they're not the typical 'strong man' guys who weigh 150KG and will probably experience debilitating back injuries and heart strains later in their life.
Catalinbread⁞⁞Earthquaker Devices⁞⁞Strymon⁞⁞Smallsound/Bigsound
Iron Ether⁞⁞Black Arts Toneworks⁞⁞Dr. Scientist⁞⁞Fairfield Circuitry
Tom Anderson⁞⁞Ibanez⁞⁞Guild⁞⁞Gretsch⁞⁞Fryette⁞⁞Audio Kitchen

Doom Room - type fast, riff slow
AngryGoldfish

User avatar
IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS
 
Posts: 3528
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:57 pm
Location: Ireland

Re: the DOOM WORKOUT

Postby potatofarmer » Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:38 pm

So, I'm a n00b, both to this forum and strength training in general, but this workout got me inspired to start, so here I am.

The only "gym" I can afford right now is Planet Fatties so pretty much dumbbell everything. No real way to deadlift but I've been doing seated leg presses and seated leg curls to at least get some hamstring work. Other than that I'm sticking to the Doom Workout exercises.

Turns out I'm not only a fatty but a weakling as well so adding weight is going slowly! At 327#, doing bodyweight squats for 4x15 nearly killed me. I stuck with the 4x15 for a couple weeks, but for the past couple weeks I went down to 5x5s. Really focusing on trying to perfect my form.

I've been reading Rippetoe's books, starting with "Practical Programming" and some of it seems useful but his views on diet, supplements, "crossfit sucks because I don't work there anymore" etc. I'm ignoring. Guy likes to really emphasize "for the beginner phase, anything you do will yield massive improvements" which kind of undercuts any advice he or anyone may give a beginner. Put a penny in your pocket (and eat 500 fewer calories) and you'll lose weight. Pennies are magic!

Anyway. My numbers are weak: pulldowns 105#, standing shoulder press 50#, seated leg press 85#, seated leg curl 85#, squat BW+30#, bench press 60#, rows 90#. All at 5x5, though if I feel I can get in another set without overexertion I'll sneak one in. PF's dumbbells jump every 5#, so at some point jumping 10# total is going to be an issue.

Eventually I'm going to have to start working on a Smith machine, and while the Starting Strength / Strong Lift / Nerd Fitness people out there cringe, I can't afford a better (real) gym for the forseeable future. The folks at EXRX seem to think it's okay, though it does require significant adjustments to form. That day is still a ways off, but I tried squatting in one with just the bar and it was super awkward.

I've been foam rolling and stretching - that shoulder dislocation thing only took about a week for me to get.

Tl;dr - thanks, vidret!
potatofarmer

User avatar
interested
interested
 
Posts: 46
Joined: Fri Feb 06, 2015 12:14 pm
Location: Pgh

Re: the DOOM WORKOUT

Postby vidret » Fri Feb 13, 2015 7:50 pm

potatofarmer wrote:So, I'm a n00b, both to this forum and strength training in general, but this workout got me inspired to start, so here I am.

The only "gym" I can afford right now is Planet Fatties so pretty much dumbbell everything. No real way to deadlift but I've been doing seated leg presses and seated leg curls to at least get some hamstring work. Other than that I'm sticking to the Doom Workout exercises.

Turns out I'm not only a fatty but a weakling as well so adding weight is going slowly! At 327#, doing bodyweight squats for 4x15 nearly killed me. I stuck with the 4x15 for a couple weeks, but for the past couple weeks I went down to 5x5s. Really focusing on trying to perfect my form.

I've been reading Rippetoe's books, starting with "Practical Programming" and some of it seems useful but his views on diet, supplements, "crossfit sucks because I don't work there anymore" etc. I'm ignoring. Guy likes to really emphasize "for the beginner phase, anything you do will yield massive improvements" which kind of undercuts any advice he or anyone may give a beginner. Put a penny in your pocket (and eat 500 fewer calories) and you'll lose weight. Pennies are magic!

Anyway. My numbers are weak: pulldowns 105#, standing shoulder press 50#, seated leg press 85#, seated leg curl 85#, squat BW+30#, bench press 60#, rows 90#. All at 5x5, though if I feel I can get in another set without overexertion I'll sneak one in. PF's dumbbells jump every 5#, so at some point jumping 10# total is going to be an issue.

Eventually I'm going to have to start working on a Smith machine, and while the Starting Strength / Strong Lift / Nerd Fitness people out there cringe, I can't afford a better (real) gym for the forseeable future. The folks at EXRX seem to think it's okay, though it does require significant adjustments to form. That day is still a ways off, but I tried squatting in one with just the bar and it was super awkward.

I've been foam rolling and stretching - that shoulder dislocation thing only took about a week for me to get.

Tl;dr - thanks, vidret!



most exercises can be used adapted to dumbbells so don't give up, just google around for alternatives a bit. a problem might arise later on when you hit the maximum weight for the dumbbells (as well as the machines) but that's a good problem. if you're gonna squat in the smith machine it'll resemble a leg press a lot more than a squat, if you're gonna do anything in a smith machine look it up first. i've known several people that got fucked by the smith.

glad you're doing it, keep it up :thumb:
vidret

User avatar
IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS
 
Posts: 6281
Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:55 pm
Location: Skogen

Re: the DOOM WORKOUT

Postby Harry_Manback » Sat Feb 14, 2015 12:05 am

Potatofarmer - welcome. Kick ass with what you've got and good for you. Anything is better than nothing. But yeah, be wary of the Smith Machines, they force an unnatural squat movement IMO.

Nick - you're a fucking BEAST with that 500# DL. You're progress is inspiring.
Harry_Manback

User avatar
experienced
experienced
 
Posts: 624
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:23 pm
Location: Staring straight at the sun.

Re: the DOOM WORKOUT

Postby new05002 » Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:58 pm

Harry_Manback wrote:Nick - you're a fucking BEAST with that 500# DL. You're progress is inspiring.


thank you!

4/6 weeks done on this back squat prep cycle.

5 x 1 BS at 325# today, then max snatch, max clean and jerk, and then went max clean

Hit 225# Sn, went for 235# 2 times, hit up to 245# clean and jerk, cleaned up to 305#, missed 315# 2 times
new05002

User avatar
IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS
 
Posts: 3870
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:07 pm

Re: the DOOM WORKOUT

Postby vidret » Mon Feb 16, 2015 6:11 am

getting results from my MRI today (i think that's what it's called?), they better give me some fucking answers. i'm tired of lifting pussy weights.
vidret

User avatar
IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS
 
Posts: 6281
Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:55 pm
Location: Skogen

Re: the DOOM WORKOUT

Postby new05002 » Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:59 pm

BS triple PR at 325#

new05002

User avatar
IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS
 
Posts: 3870
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:07 pm

Re: the DOOM WORKOUT

Postby D.o.S. » Thu Feb 19, 2015 2:40 pm

Fuck dude I struggle with tube heads.
NSFW: show
for easy reference:
Image

good deals are here.
escapecraft is here.
Achtane wrote:
comesect2.0 wrote:Michael Jackson king tut little Richard in your butt.

IT'S THE ENNNND OF THE WORRRLD AS WE KNOW IT
D.o.S.

User avatar
IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS
 
Posts: 28667
Joined: Sun Jul 03, 2011 8:47 am
Location: Ewe-Kay

Re: the DOOM WORKOUT

Postby SpaceFlunky » Fri Feb 20, 2015 1:33 pm

Harry_Manback wrote:Potatofarmer - welcome. Kick ass with what you've got and good for you. Anything is better than nothing. But yeah, be wary of the Smith Machines, they force an unnatural squat movement IMO.

Nick - you're a fucking BEAST with that 500# DL. You're progress is inspiring.



Yep!

Back around 4 years ago when I first started flirting with the idea of hitting the gym regularly I tried squatting on a smith machine. I went for 2 weeks and I think I was at 80#. I hurt my right knee on that fucking thing and stopped going to the gym for about 2 years.

My right knee has never been the same. :(
Good Deals on ILF with: destroyerjazz - kosta - hbombgraphics - jskadiang - Chumley - adrianlee - Communarchy - ianmarks - GlitteryChunks - decomposing - Chankgeez

http://loshijosdeldiablo.bandcamp.com/
SpaceFlunky

User avatar
experienced
experienced
 
Posts: 763
Joined: Mon Jul 19, 2010 2:11 pm
Location: 405

Re: the DOOM WORKOUT

Postby Harry_Manback » Fri Feb 20, 2015 1:39 pm

Nick - that little trick across the way was all :love: look how deep he goes.

I hit legs pretty hard Tuesday. Went for my first run in 3 months Wednesday. Can barely walk.
Harry_Manback

User avatar
experienced
experienced
 
Posts: 624
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:23 pm
Location: Staring straight at the sun.

Re: the DOOM WORKOUT

Postby new05002 » Fri Feb 20, 2015 1:44 pm

Harry_Manback wrote:Nick - that little trick across the way was all :love: look how deep he goes.

I hit legs pretty hard Tuesday. Went for my first run in 3 months Wednesday. Can barely walk.


haha. maybe. My wife was near by tho, keeping tabs.

I actually think one of the coaches was keeping his eyes on me (see him in the background)

Just ~ 1 week or so til I got for a new max back squat.

Really hoping to hit 370-375#
new05002

User avatar
IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS
 
Posts: 3870
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:07 pm

Re: the DOOM WORKOUT

Postby Achtane » Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:13 pm

Image
PVKVLT-ups.
A form of amplifier worship, but using an inversion of genuflection. PV doesn't want you to bow to it. By sitting up and back down, PV symbolically blows you to the floor until you're exhausted.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Louy7zH9guw
sonidero wrote:Roll a plus 13 for fire and with my immunity to wack I dodge the cough and pass a turn to chill and look at these rocks...

kbithecrowing wrote:Making out with my girl friday night, I couldn't stop thinking about flangers.

Dr. Sherman Sticks M.D. wrote:Und jetzt lass uns ein paar Bäume abfackeln und Beats machen!

Image
Achtane

User avatar
IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS
 
Posts: 13787
Joined: Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:09 am
Location: under the manchineel

PreviousNext

Return to ilovedoom.org



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


Sponsored Ad. (Please no inflated/repetitive clicking. Thanks!)

Advertisements help support ILF


ilovefuzz.com is not responsible for user-submitted content. Users participate at their own discretion and risk.