the DOOM WORKOUT

Re: the DOOM WORKOUT

Postby black mess » Mon May 13, 2013 2:19 pm

vidret wrote:
black mess wrote:Does anybody have a link for a good workout plan that I can do at home, without equipment? I do a lot of cardio - i run around 6 miles 6 days a week - but I'm really skinny and I wanted to grow some muscle.

read my first post about goals and weight. You'll have to put yourself on a calorie surplus to gain muscle (or mass, any mass). I WOULD advise hitting a gym and doing the SIX (only SIX?! 6?!?!? yes) movements I've taken the time to put down for you as it covers everything and your running will GREATLY profit from doing the leg movements as well - you don't get strong legs simply from running, not in the same way.

If you can only work out at home and refuse to hit a gym some guys talked about a book on page 2 or 3 in this thread, otherwise I mentioned in my first post the book "convict conditioning" which is based around bodyweight workouts and has good exercise advance plans! :thumb:

I'm starting to get the whole "read the sticky"-thing most forums have :lol: :lol:

Thanks. I wouldn't mind joining a gym but i can't really afford it right now :(
black mess

involved
involved

Postby AxAxSxS » Mon May 13, 2013 2:48 pm

Well I'm soon to be medically retired military, so its partially similar. Seargents need to be fitness instructors, mentors, counselors, teachers and when it all goes down, combat leaders. I'm glad to be leaving the Army though. I'm burnt out on it. The fitness stuff will stay with me for life though and my wife runs ultra marathons so she wont be letting me kick it on the couch anytime soon :lol:
Band=InfiniteFlux Flux on Bandcamp
"Ingenuity comes in the face of adversity, and nobody ever becomes a legend by following the rules set by society" -A.A.
Corey Y wrote:it's not obsessive gear hoarding. ;)

Infinite Flux full sets and demo's on youtube
whiskey_face wrote:that girl can fucking hit lemme tell you :love: :lol:

https://infiniteflux.bandcamp.com/
AxAxSxS

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby black mess » Mon May 13, 2013 4:00 pm

What I've been doing is similar to what I found in this article:
http://www.stumbleupon.com/su/1QiTKS/:n ... bodyardio/

I have no idea if that's a good plan but it seemed simple enough.

I'm gonna read on that convict conditioning though, thanks for the tip.
black mess

involved
involved

Postby humancertainty » Mon May 13, 2013 4:36 pm

black mess wrote:What I've been doing is similar to what I found in this article:
http://www.stumbleupon.com/su/1QiTKS/:n ... bodyardio/

I have no idea if that's a good plan but it seemed simple enough.

I'm gonna read on that convict conditioning though, thanks for the tip.

I've been training at home for a little while now and my basic training these days consists of doing one pull, one push, one core and one lower body exercise. If it's a good day and I have time, I may double some or all of them up.

BUY A PULLUP BAR.

Seriously. Buy a pullup bar. It's the best $25 I ever spent for my fitness and I use it every single day.
WOSS sells a cheap suspension trainer on Amazon that's pretty great. I use it slung over my pullup bar to do inverted rows, but there's a lot of other stuff you can do with it.

So, here are what a few of my recent workouts looked like:

Weighted pullups-5*4*4*4*4
weighted dips-6*6*6*6*6
Hanging knee raises-10*10*10*10*10
One legged squats-5*5*5*5*5
I weighted my dips and squats with backpacks full of books. I did dips between two chairs. I also use backpacks full of books on my chest for weighted rows or weighted situps. If you can't quite do dips yet, you could set it in your lap and do seated dips. You can also put them on your back for weighted pushups.

Last Friday:
Pullups-8*5(w/16. lbs)*3(w/26 lbs.)*1(w/40 lbs.)*5
Pushups-30*20(w/feet elevated 18")*10(w/feet elevated 36")*5(Pike pushups with feet elevated 36")*25

I skipped core and lower body because I was on a time crunch and my hamstrings were on fire still from doing split squats with two 25 lb. dumbbells on Wednesday.

I've been getting results I'm happy with and I've been feeling much better. So don't let the lack of gym membership stop you. I was going to the gym and prefer at home stuff.

With all that being said, I have been reconsidering the gym so as to incorporate at least the deadlift and squat into my training.

Also, if Vidret contradicts any of this, listen to him. I'm just a guy who has been training for less than a year that found himself physically wrecked at 35 due to a mostly lifelong lack of fitness.

Youtube can provide examples of any of the movements I described. rosstraining.com, alkavadlo.com, and beastskills.com are all fantastic online resources for calisthenics. I said it earlier, but You Are Your Own Gym by Mark Lauren is a resource and can be purchased on Amazon for less than $15. And whether you go to the gym or not, BUY A PULLUP BAR. Put in in a doorway in your hall. Use it often.
My band:
http://anatomyofhabit.bandcamp.com/

misterstomach wrote:12 string, hollow body and tremolo are all terms where you lose me.
humancertainty

committed
committed

Postby humancertainty » Mon May 13, 2013 5:48 pm

Also, madbarz.com has a lot of calisthenics routines, provided you have a pullup bar.
My band:

misterstomach wrote:12 string, hollow body and tremolo are all terms where you lose me.
humancertainty

committed
committed

Postby black mess » Mon May 13, 2013 7:17 pm

Actually the park where i do my running has a pullup bar I can use. That shit's really hard though. I can only do like 3 reps*. Yeah, I'm that weak. :(

* and I can't go all the way down otherwise I can't pull myself all the way back up.
black mess

involved
involved

Postby humancertainty » Mon May 13, 2013 7:58 pm

I couldn't do one pullup a year ago. Today I did two sets of 10 and one set of 8.
There are a few different ways to improve pullup numbers but the biggest one for me was doing pullups. I put a doorway pullup bar in my hallway and did at least one every time I walked by. Nowadays, I'll do five when I walk by.
Give it a try. It works pretty fast.
Also, I would try to do one with full motion as opposed to using partial reps. Don't want to start with ingraining bad habits.
My band:

humancertainty

committed
committed

Postby black mess » Mon May 13, 2013 8:09 pm

Thanks man.
Indian rules btw!
black mess

involved
involved

Postby humancertainty » Mon May 13, 2013 10:13 pm

A couple of questions if one were to follow your routine:
How would you incorporate accessory work(i.e. abs, core, etc.)?
How would you incorporate dips? In place of pushups? How do you feel about dips?
My band:

humancertainty

committed
committed

Postby humancertainty » Tue May 14, 2013 3:22 pm

Gotcha.
I like core work for strength. Plus my chiropractor suggested it to help with my lower back problems. Looks are nice but strength and function is my primary concern with training.
And duly noted on the dips. I was curious mostly because it's my favorite push exercise. And while I do them all the time and I know how important they are, I hate pushups.
My band:

humancertainty

committed
committed

Postby SpaceFlunky » Tue May 14, 2013 4:30 pm

BADASS VID!

I have actually just started doing a workout similar to Starting Strength. I am doing Strong Lifts 5x5. I am 6 weeks into it and. Since i started my weight loss back in Oct. (ignored it after Nov thru Jan) Ive dropped 35lbs. The first 3 or 4 months was just changing the way i eat. The biggest thing i changed that helped me loose weight was, eating a big breakfast and a tiny dinner. Doing that pretty much helped me drop down to about 215lbs from 235lbs. I also stopped my soda intake and I try to not eat anything fried. Oh and my beer intake went way down to maybe a few beers on the weekend.

Im sitting at 201lbs right now after working out with SL 5x5 for about 5 or 6 weeks. I feel great doing this. My waist line went from a 42" to 37" and still going.
The only thing i add to the program is a straight up ab work out. I am still working on adding pullups and dips. (Cant do them yet)

http://stronglifts.com/

Good Deals on ILF with: destroyerjazz - kosta - hbombgraphics - jskadiang - Chumley - adrianlee - Communarchy - ianmarks - GlitteryChunks - decomposing - Chankgeez

http://loshijosdeldiablo.bandcamp.com/
SpaceFlunky

experienced
experienced

Postby SpaceFlunky » Tue May 14, 2013 4:43 pm

Yea, i think they are perfect for someone like me who is just starting lifting to gain strength. I agree that they are lacking in the pulling motions but no one says you cant modify them to fit your needs. On the deadlift, i do 2 sets of 5 at my max weight, which is 150lbs right now. From what ive heard it is easy to plateau for long periods of time if you do more than one set of 5 once you are able to lift more weight. But ive only read shit online, im no pro, im just full of "Bro Science"

you ever visit this place? http://www.reddit.com/r/fitness that is where i picked up on SS and SL.

Thanks for the comp on the boards! Sadly its just sitting there gathering dust.
Good Deals on ILF with: destroyerjazz - kosta - hbombgraphics - jskadiang - Chumley - adrianlee - Communarchy - ianmarks - GlitteryChunks - decomposing - Chankgeez

http://loshijosdeldiablo.bandcamp.com/
SpaceFlunky

experienced
experienced

Postby AngryGoldfish » Tue May 14, 2013 8:04 pm

black mess wrote:Does anybody have a link for a good workout plan that I can do at home, without equipment? I do a lot of cardio - i run around 6 miles 6 days a week - but I'm really skinny and I wanted to grow some muscle.

Just thought I'd comment on this before I read the rest of the thread. Check out Freelectics. It's intense cardio based entirely on body weight. You only need a towel or a matt to lie on and a bar to support your weight. Lots of sprints, squats, push-ups, chin-ups, sit-ups, body-weight dips, lunges, twisties, etc. etc. Might be worth looking into.
Catalinbread⁞⁞Earthquaker Devices⁞⁞Strymon⁞⁞Smallsound/Bigsound
Iron Ether⁞⁞Black Arts Toneworks⁞⁞Dr. Scientist⁞⁞Fairfield Circuitry
Tom Anderson⁞⁞Ibanez⁞⁞Guild⁞⁞Gretsch⁞⁞Fryette⁞⁞Audio Kitchen

Doom Room - type fast, riff slow
AngryGoldfish

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby black mess » Wed May 15, 2013 8:45 am

Thanks AngryGoldfish, gonna look into that.

I did some pullups in the park yesterday. I feel a bit sore today so i guess there were muscles there that I haven't been working out with the routine I've been doing, particularly in the shoulder/chest area.
black mess

involved
involved

Postby AngryGoldfish » Wed May 15, 2013 3:32 pm

vidret, how's this for a meal? It's sautéed vegetables (red bell pepper, courgette, carrot, & spinach) with lemon juice, seasoning, and garlic, and the chicken breast was grilled without any marinade. The George Foreman we have is so awesome.

Catalinbread⁞⁞Earthquaker Devices⁞⁞Strymon⁞⁞Smallsound/Bigsound
Iron Ether⁞⁞Black Arts Toneworks⁞⁞Dr. Scientist⁞⁞Fairfield Circuitry
Tom Anderson⁞⁞Ibanez⁞⁞Guild⁞⁞Gretsch⁞⁞Fryette⁞⁞Audio Kitchen

Doom Room - type fast, riff slow
AngryGoldfish

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

PreviousNext

Return to ilovedoom.org