The Dream Pedal Board Thread: Doom Edition

The Dream Pedal Board Thread: Doom Edition

Postby Ancient Astronaught » Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:12 pm

So I've been pondering lately what my ultimate pedalboard would be for writing the music I hear in my head. My current pedalboard does amazing at covering a HUGE array of tones, but I wanted something more specialized so I came up with this:

Guitar -> Polytune > Engineers Thumb Compressor > MXR Micro Amp > Verellen Big Spider > Verellen Skyhammer Preamp > Custom I/O box buffered Amp out -> Amp Input

Amp FX loop send -> I/O box FX Loop in > EB VPjr > Moog LPF > Moog MF-104M Delay > Custom Rub-a-Dub Verb > I/O box buffered FX loop out -> Amp FX loop return

The goal is to be able to cover the variety of tones used by bands such as Old Man Gloom, Young Widows, and Kowloon Walled City. Earthy / Ambient / Gritty / Textural / Distant tones abound with various Dynamic levels within the click of a footswitch.

What would be your ultimate board and why?
Iommic Pope wrote:Skip, you rule. You hate people so much, you're willing to discredit all human progress, its awesome.
Ancient Astronaught

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Re: The Dream Pedal Board Thread: Doom Edition

Postby skullservant » Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:28 pm

I think mine would be:

Guitar/bass -> Polytune -> Madbean Compressor -> reverb of some sort -> EHX Ring Thing (for pitch shifting)-> A/B/Y looper -> (A: DOD Death Metal/Noise Swash -> Monarch) (B: Mini -> Sovtek Tall Font) -> DMM (with either a true bypass loop or true bypass mod) -> Trinity Reverb -> Stereo Jam Man -> Amp 1 + Amp 2

I would have loop A be for the fast parts of my playing, and loop B for the slower heavier parts, and then you could combine them both for the end of the world. Reverb before and after always for the quiet parts, and I can't live without that damn Madbean compressor
Last edited by skullservant on Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
skullservant

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby D.o.S. » Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:34 pm

I think I'd just add a headrush, a chorus, and a pitch shifter to my "board" (the Dirge250 and the Supercollider).

But that's because i've been listening to a lot of Bong, Nadja, and QE.
good deals are here.
escapecraft is here.
UglyCasanova wrote: It's not the expensive programs you use, it's the way you click and drag.

Achtane wrote:
comesect2.0 wrote:Michael Jackson king tut little Richard in your butt.

IT'S THE ENNNND OF THE WORRRLD AS WE KNOW IT
D.o.S.

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby ridingeternity » Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:27 pm

Getting closer month by month...I go through terrible phases of being totally set on my setup for 2-3 years then over that time all the holes I want to fill reveal what I potentially needs and once it gets real heavy I go on a GAS binge...

Front End: Guitar -> a volume pedal that doesn't suck(literally and figuratively)-> TU-2 -> Digitech Whammy DT -> Fulltone OCD(or similar) -> Black Arts Pharaoh -> Homebrew UFO -> Some sort of Lead Boost -> ISP Decimator -> Amp

FX Loop: Send -> TC Electronic Flashback 4x -> Any decent sounding analog chorus -> MXR Phase 90 -> TC Electronic Hall of fame -> Return.
ridingeternity

committed
committed

Postby conky » Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:27 am

reverb,trem, delay, phase, some kind of octave thing like a pog 2 or micropog, and then a weird effect like a copilot antenna or orbit in my setup. Almost there with it, just tracking down all this crap again will; take a minute. then a second small board with just a tuner and delay for when i get in the mood to downsize.
conky

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Bassboar » Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:57 pm

Ezekiel Clone>Siamese Beard>Huge Box II>Big Spider>Megalith>Freq LSD>Organizer>Behemoth II>Disaster Transport>Deluxe Memory Boy>RC-3>Polytune
I've got about half of these already.
sanfordandsonny wrote:guitars are hammers if you put some electrical tape on the handle so the blood doesn't make the hammer slippery so be it.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati
Good deals with: Bellyheart, bronzetalon,kbithecrowning, fuzzmax, jwar, misc1600, hatshirt, colin, chippywallace, Monkey Boy, skullservant, jumbosteelie, foomanfat, sanfordandsonny, pez.period, proroby, excane
Bassboar

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby kbit » Fri May 03, 2013 12:01 am

Bass -> 616 -> Mini -> Baby Thundaa -> Volume pedal -> Cathedral -> Amp

Could throw in a TAFM after the Thundaa, a phaser after everything, and a super ego with some shit in the loop if I wanted to get more crazy.

Ancient Astronaught wrote:The goal is to be able to cover the variety of tones used by bands such as Old Man Gloom, Young Widows, and Kowloon Walled City. Earthy / Ambient / Gritty / Textural / Distant tones abound with various Dynamic levels within the click of a footswitch.

I like the way you think. A LPF would be killer.
D.o.S. wrote:I'm fucking stupid and no one should operate under any other premise.
kbit

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Ancient Astronaught » Fri May 03, 2013 8:45 am

kbithecrowing wrote:I like the way you think. A LPF would be killer.

Thanks!!! and agreed! I like the way you think, 616 into thundaa = :love:
Iommic Pope wrote:Skip, you rule. You hate people so much, you're willing to discredit all human progress, its awesome.
Ancient Astronaught

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby AngryGoldfish » Fri May 03, 2013 10:46 am

For gigging:

Guitar -> TC Electronic Polytune Mini Noir -> MojoHand FX Villanova -> Black Arts Toneworks Pharaoh -> D*A*M Sonic Titan or Smallsound/Bigsound Mini -> Catalinbread Semaphore Tremolo -> EHX Deluxe Memory Man 1100 w/Tap Tempo -> Earthquaker Devices Ghost Echo -> TC Electronic Ditto Looper -> Amp input

For home:

Guitar -> Sonic Research Turbo Tuner -> Subdecay Octasynth -> Earthquaker Devices Organizer -> Fairfield Circuitry Unpleasant Surprise -> ZVex Loop Gate -> Smallsound/Bigsound Sparkle Motion -> Smallsound/Bigsound Fuck -> Empress Multidrive -> Fairfield Circuitry Randy's Revenge -> Amp input

FX Loop Send -> Subdecay Quasar Dlx -> Dr. Scientist Cosmichorus V3 -> Empress Phaser -> Empress Tremolo -> Strymon Timeline -> Red Panda Context Reverb -> Pigtronix Infinity Looper - FX Loop Return
Catalinbread⁞⁞Earthquaker Devices⁞⁞Strymon⁞⁞Smallsound/Bigsound
Iron Ether⁞⁞Black Arts Toneworks⁞⁞Dr. Scientist⁞⁞Fairfield Circuitry
Tom Anderson⁞⁞Ibanez⁞⁞Guild⁞⁞Gretsch⁞⁞Fryette⁞⁞Audio Kitchen

Doom Room - type fast, riff slow
AngryGoldfish

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby kbit » Sat May 04, 2013 1:30 am

Ancient Astronaught wrote:
kbithecrowing wrote:I like the way you think. A LPF would be killer.

Thanks!!! and agreed! I like the way you think, 616 into thundaa = :love:

:thumb: the 616 is a great delay to run into dirt. With the buffer on the repeats have a niecly balanced sound so that the delay is pronounced and smears things a little bit without making everything sound too messy. Sex.
D.o.S. wrote:I'm fucking stupid and no one should operate under any other premise.
kbit

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby hashshashin » Mon May 06, 2013 12:27 am

tuner to replace TU-2 > Sunmachine Fuzz O))) > Blackout Musket > ss/bs bass super puzzle (or similarly mean Superfuzz) > Wilson Freaker > MXR Bass Chorus > delay/reverb yet to be determined.

This is for seriously down-tuned bass and guitar. Been trying to find a decent-sounding delay/reverb that won't turn to shit under booming low end.
hashshashin

interested
interested

Postby new05002 » Mon May 06, 2013 11:13 am

Guitar -> Hi Gain FF Thing -> Univibe Clone -> Amp Input

Matamp based FX loop -> Spring Verb with parallel buffered I/O for Moog 104FM or Echorec (if you have the $$$) -> FX Loop Return

Small mod on the FX loop for that amp to be in parallel or series
new05002

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby AngryGoldfish » Wed May 08, 2013 9:57 am

hashshashin wrote:tuner to replace TU-2 > Sunmachine Fuzz O))) > Blackout Musket > ss/bs bass super puzzle (or similarly mean Superfuzz) > Wilson Freaker > MXR Bass Chorus > delay/reverb yet to be determined.

This is for seriously down-tuned bass and guitar. Been trying to find a decent-sounding delay/reverb that won't turn to shit under booming low end.

The Super Puzzle is Doom through and through. I miss mine.
Catalinbread⁞⁞Earthquaker Devices⁞⁞Strymon⁞⁞Smallsound/Bigsound
Iron Ether⁞⁞Black Arts Toneworks⁞⁞Dr. Scientist⁞⁞Fairfield Circuitry
Tom Anderson⁞⁞Ibanez⁞⁞Guild⁞⁞Gretsch⁞⁞Fryette⁞⁞Audio Kitchen

Doom Room - type fast, riff slow
AngryGoldfish

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Abanoise » Thu May 09, 2013 4:17 pm

hashshashin wrote:ss/bs bass super puzzle (or similarly mean Superfuzz)

If you want to try an alternative superfuzz, you could give a try to the Custom Super Harakiri from Creepy Fingers. Massive!
You're not a musician, you're a low frequencies generator!

Good deals: starcastic, multi_s, Ragged Trousers, phantasmagorovich x2, delaydecay, Aen, plotkin, TheOndrakGuy, Grandnoise, smallsnd/bgsnd, jskadiang, WtrPlyr, sp3k, AngryGoldfish, dan_abnormal, laekna x11, casperh7, FreakFlagRecordings, MEC x3, CaptainBoxman, wsf1234, durden26, Communarchy, painbeam, hipwaf, shrubber, chutneyfarmer, John, colossus, Jero, Jono, DarkAxel, Lebowsky, Eivind August, Snufkino, boneslygrifter
Abanoise

experienced
experienced

Postby hashshashin » Thu May 09, 2013 5:01 pm

Abanoise wrote:
hashshashin wrote:ss/bs bass super puzzle (or similarly mean Superfuzz)

If you want to try an alternative superfuzz, you could give a try to the Custom Super Harakiri from Creepy Fingers. Massive!

I can't find a demo displaying the sound I'm looking for from a SF clone with the Harakiri (basically, a quality Boss FZ-2 cranked Fuzz II tone a la "Dopethrone" / "...Come, My Fanatics"). I scoped Excane's bass-modded SP and didn't hear a tone I didn't like.
Shame, since I'd love to support Fu Manchu's efforts.
hashshashin

interested
interested

Next

Return to ilovedoom.org