Post Your Rig: Doom Edition

Re: Post Your Rig: Doom Edition

Postby StephanCOH » Thu May 03, 2018 9:50 am

gnomethrone wrote:Not sure on the string gauges but I'll ask. If you like the PRS stuff their SE line are really nice amd way cheaper.

My buddy has two PRS SE, the single cut model. Excellent guitars and it is no problem to get them to C. He uses them both on stage for Iron & Stone.
StephanCOH

interested
interested

Postby ocdoom » Sat May 05, 2018 1:28 am

thank you. i like single cut guitars. i was worried about the 24.5” scale length of PRS SE245. when you say he has no problems getting to C is it C standard or drop C? i almost bought a Yamaha Pacifica 120h instead of PRS SE245 just because of scale length(yamaha has 25.5”) and of course it’s cheaper.

i don't want to put too heavy strings and do a setup that fits only drop B but not E standard. having flabby strings when playing doom could be ok but having too tight strings when playing led zeppelin is a no go for me
ocdoom

uncommitted
uncommitted

Postby ocdoom » Sun May 06, 2018 1:35 pm

I need help once more. what amp would you buy for apartment bedroom jamming? Orange Micro Dark or Boss Katana 50? Katana is sold for 400$ here unfortunately and for that money I can buy the Micro Dark and a 12" cabinet.

I bought a PRS SE245 with your help btw, thank you
ocdoom

uncommitted
uncommitted

Postby ibarakishi » Mon May 07, 2018 12:49 am

Some people on here seem to like the Micro Dark, but everyone pretty much agrees it has a really limited amount of headroom and specific sound/tone. It is also limited in what pedals it can take and likes. If you want to use lots of different pedals in the future, or are interested in playing a lot of different types of music (heavy, clean, ect.) then the Boss Katana 50 would probably be the smarter choice. I don't own either, but if i was going to buy an amp like you i would really think hard first about what you want to do with your amp now and you want to do with it in the future too.
good deals/trades/business with: JonnyAngle, rdw102, crochambeau, worra, $harkToootth, Olin, fuzzonaut, friendship, ianmarks, digi2t
ibarakishi

experienced
experienced

Postby nogodsnobedtimes » Mon May 07, 2018 2:10 am

Katana 50 is going to be a more flexible amp in all honesty, and I think will probably sound better than the Micro Dark with various fuzz/dist/gain pedals. I've had both and while the Micro and Micro Dark sound great on their own they didn't really sound all that great with high gain pedals.

Plus, the Katana has USB out so you can record bedroom jams with ease.
nogodsnobedtimes

experienced
experienced

Postby ocdoom » Wed May 09, 2018 2:06 am

Thanks a lot! I'm trying the plugins route now since it's only a bedroom hobby. If that doesn't work out I will try to get a Katana from overseas. Listening to all the demos of Micro Dark made me cross it off my list
ocdoom

uncommitted
uncommitted

Postby gnomethrone » Wed May 09, 2018 9:13 am

Yeah micro dark is fine on its own but just farts out when you hit it with pedals. Something solid state will be better for bedroom levels.
good dealings here:
NSFW: show
Ancient Astronaught, fuzzlord!, onyxrhino, lordgalvar, JoeTheStache, kbit, BoatRich, oscillateur, grindonomicon, doommeow, fever606, Bearstripes, Casavettes, Faldoe, jellyfishfuzz, morange, Teej212, MEC, ianmarks, JWAR, Raj007
gnomethrone

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Kacey Y » Wed May 09, 2018 9:16 am

If it's just for bedroom use with pedals, get an older Peavey 1x12 solid state combo. They can still be had cheap and work great for that. Any of the Fender 1x10 or 1x12 combos work pretty well with pedals too. There's so many out there you can get one cheap and still swap out the speaker if it doesn't sound great.
Appalachian Queer Punk Moms Local 138
Kacey Y

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Jäke » Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:30 am

Show and tell time cause I gots some new noisemakers that I’m excited about.

Two Altas 2x12/1x15 towers, each with an Avatar Fane 65 and an Eminence Private Jack. The 15s are a Weber Tonecvlt Werewolf and Wolverine. Speakers are all 16ohm and cabs wired to 5.33 ohms each, so each speaker gets the same load.

Amp is a stereo Seymour Duncan Powerstage 700 mounted in a repurposed bass sleeve I had sitting around.

Running stereo effects and a different dirt to each tower, so the sounds can be as druggy as they are burley.

poop.
Jäke

committed
committed

Postby odontophobia » Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:37 pm

Fucking killer
odontophobia

Supporter
Supporter

Postby mulekicker » Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:19 pm

Damn Jake, those cabs are killer. I like the thinking behind that setup, oh yes I do.
mulekicker

involved
involved

Postby Jäke » Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:44 pm

Thanks dudes. The thinking mostly was ‘how can I not carry around a 6x12 anymore?’
poop.
Jäke

committed
committed

Postby John » Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:05 pm

Stereo rigs ftw always
friendship wrote:death to false bleep-blop
John

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby mulekicker » Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:47 am

Also, 2 15" speakers on the bottom ftw. I too run with 2 15's these days.
mulekicker

involved
involved

Postby ethanxcampos » Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:30 am

All Peavey Cvlt, Butcher is running 3 4x12's, bottom 2 are loaded with Celestion G12K-85's and angled is loaded with some UK Celestion V30's I pulled from a Carvin Legacy cab.
Attachments
IMG_8506.JPG
ethanxcampos

involved
involved

PreviousNext

Return to ilovedoom.org